Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Replace patterns in a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace patterns in a file Post 302596967 by chihung on Wednesday 8th of February 2012 09:49:20 PM
Old 02-08-2012
All you need is to include an 'achor' in the pattern to say only match .log at the end of the line.

In vi:
<ESC> (to go into command mode)
Code:
:%s/.log$/.log.bz2/

Using sed:
Code:
sed 's/.log$/.log.bz2/' filename > filename.new

Btw, in sed, you can edit the file in place by
Code:
sed -i 's/.log$/.log.bz2/' filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to replace certain patterns in a file thru unix!!

Hi Friends, well what i want to do is that suppose i have a file say like .... ronaldduckdancecoolman donaldmuckdancepooltactics fonaldguckdancetoolbutcomps .... okok i agree this is a ridiculous data for a file. :-) now i want that the characters in each line fromposition 16 to say 19... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mexx_freedom
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching patterns in 1 file and deleting all lines with those patterns in 2nd file

Hi Gurus, I have a file say for ex. file1 which has 3500 lines in it which are different account numbers and another file (file2) which has 230000 lines in it. I want to read all the lines in file1 and delete all those lines from file2 which has that same pattern as in file1. I am not quite... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: toms
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace multiple patterns in a string/filename

This should be somewhat simple, but I need some help with this one. I have a bunch of files with tags on the end like so... Filename {tag1}.ext Filename2 {tag1} {tag2}.ext I want to hold in a variable just the filename with all the " {tag}" removed. The tag can be anything so I'm looking... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kerppz
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find matched patterns and print them with other patterns not the whole line

Hi, I am trying to extract some patterns from a line. The input file is space delimited and i could not use column to get value after "IN" or "OUT" patterns as there could be multiple white spaces before the next digits that i need to print in the output file . I need to print 3 patterns in a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace multiple patterns in a particular column only - efficient script

Hi Bigshots, I have a pattern file with two columns. I have another data file. If column 1 in the pattern file appears as the 4th column in the data file, I need to replace it (4th column of data file) with column 2 of the pattern file. If the pattern is found in any other column, it should not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss112233
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace multiple patterns together with retaining the text in between

Hi Team I have the following text in one of the file j1738-abc-system_id(in.value1)-2838 G566-deF-system_id(in.value2)-7489 I want to remove system_id(...) combination completely The output should look like this j1738-abc-in.value1-2838 G566-deF-in.value2-7489 Any help is appreciated... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thierry Henry
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Find files excluding file patterns and subfolder patterns

Hello. For a given folder, I want to select any files find $PATH1 -f \( -name "*" but omit any files like pattern name ! -iname "*.jpg" ! -iname "*.xsession*" ..... \) and also omit any subfolder like pattern name -type d \( -name "/etc/gconf/gconf.*" -o -name "*cache*" -o -name "*Cache*" -o... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk Replace Multiple patterns within a list_file with One in target_file

I'm facing a problem 1) I got a list_file intended to be used for inlace replacement like this Replacement pattern ; Matching patterns EXTRACT ___________________ toto ; tutu | tata | tonton | titi bobo ; bibi | baba | bubu | bebe etc. 14000 lines !!! ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpvphd
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed, how replace specific symbols between two patterns

I have a big xmltv file with many lines like: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <tv> <channel id="channel 1 +3HD"> <display-name lang="it">channel +3HD</display-name> <icon src="http://mywebsite.com/dsgbnjfdc65657/channel +3HD.png" /> ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tapiocapioca
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep multiple patterns(file) and replace whole line

I am able to grep multiple patterns which stored in a files. However, how could we replace the whole line with either the pattern or new string? For example: pattern_file: *Info in the () is not part of the pattern file. They are the intended name to replace the whole line after the pattern... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wxboo
5 Replies
DOVEADM-LOG(1)							      Dovecot							    DOVEADM-LOG(1)

NAME
doveadm-log - Locate, test or reopen Dovecot's log files SYNOPSIS
doveadm [-Dv] log errors doveadm [-Dv] log find [directory] doveadm [-Dv] log reopen doveadm [-Dv] log test DESCRIPTION
The doveadm log commands are used to locate and reopen the log files of dovecot(1). It's also possible to test the configured targets of the *log_path settings. OPTIONS
Global doveadm(1) options: -D Enables verbosity and debug messages. -v Enables verbosity, including progress counter. COMMANDS
log errors doveadm log errors The log errors command is used to show the last - up to 1,000 - errors and warnings. If no output is generated, no errors have occurred since the last start. log find doveadm log find [directory] The log find command is used to show the location of the log files, to which dovecot(1) sends its log messages. If dovecot(1) logs its messages through syslogd(8) and doveadm(1) could not find any log files, you can specify the directory where your syslogd writes its log files. log reopen doveadm log reopen This command causes doveadm to reopen all log files, configured in the log_path, info_log_path and debug_log_path settings. These settings are configured in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-logging.conf. This is for example useful after manually rotating the log files. log test doveadm log test This command causes doveadm to write the message "This is Dovecot's priority log (timestamp)" to the configured log files. The used prior- ities are: debug, info, warning, error and fatal. EXAMPLE
This example shows how to locate the log files used by dovecot(1). doveadm log find Looking for log files from /var/log Debug: /var/log/dovecot.debug Info: /var/log/mail.log Warning: /var/log/mail.log Error: /var/log/mail.log Fatal: /var/log/mail.log REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs, including doveconf -n output, to the Dovecot Mailing List <dovecot@dovecot.org>. Information about reporting bugs is avail- able at: http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html SEE ALSO
doveadm(1) Dovecot v2.1 2012-02-22 DOVEADM-LOG(1)