Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Use of Capabilities
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Use of Capabilities Post 302596902 by Corona688 on Wednesday 8th of February 2012 02:18:06 PM
Old 02-08-2012
If you can figure out what might be interrupting it, nice it instead. It takes no special permissions to reduce the priority of something. You can even lower the priority of a process after the fact with renice, though then it does need root...

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Capabilities?

We are looking into buying a new software, billing software that is, and want to know if you can run that on the same UNIX server as another major software? Is there a limit to the different types of software Unix can run, or is it like windows where you can install as many as you like? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoz
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

p570 Capabilities

Hi there. I've been tasked with making a new design for our Unix systems :eek: Now the question I have is; How many LPARs can a p570 hold WITHOUT using a VIO Server. Many Thanks Kees (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KeesH
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

Adding capabilities to an RPM

Hi. I downloaded a package that could only be installed on RHEL5, and not 4 or 3, so I got the source in order to compile it on RHEL 3 so hopefully it will work on all versions. So I have the source for a working package, but when I build it in RHEL 3 and then try to install it in RHEL 5, it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boaz
6 Replies

4. SCO

Slow Processing - not matching hardware capabilities

I have been a SCO UNIX user, never an administrator...so I am stumbling around looking for information. I don't know too much about what is onboard in terms of hardware, however; I will try my best. We have SCO 5.07 and have applied MP5. We have a quad core processor with 4 250 GB... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atpbrownie
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux capabilities discussion

Hi I'm trying to compile my linux kernel with CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES=y. any idea what this thing does ?? Also another question , If I compile the kernel that I'm currently using , what'll happen ? ~cheers (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: leghorn
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

CentOS7 restoring file capabilities

Quite an obscure question I think. We have a rebuild process for remote sites that allows us to PXE rebuild a till (actually a PC with a touch screen and various fancy bits) running CentOS. The current CentOS5 tills work just fine with a tar image restore and some personalisation. Sadly,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbatte1
4 Replies
RENICE(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 RENICE(8)

NAME
renice -- alter priority of running processes SYNOPSIS
renice priority [[-p] pid ...] [[-g] pgrp ...] [[-u] user ...] renice -n increment [[-p] pid ...] [[-g] pgrp ...] [[-u] user ...] DESCRIPTION
The renice utility alters the scheduling priority of one or more running processes. The following who parameters are interpreted as process ID's, process group ID's, user ID's or user names. The renice'ing of a process group causes all processes in the process group to have their scheduling priority altered. The renice'ing of a user causes all processes owned by the user to have their scheduling priority altered. By default, the processes to be affected are specified by their process ID's. The following options are available: -g Force who parameters to be interpreted as process group ID's. -n Instead of changing the specified processes to the given priority, interpret the following argument as an increment to be applied to the current priority of each process. -u Force the who parameters to be interpreted as user names or user ID's. -p Reset the who interpretation to be (the default) process ID's. Users other than the super-user may only alter the priority of processes they own, and can only monotonically increase their ``nice value'' within the range 0 to PRIO_MAX (20). (This prevents overriding administrative fiats.) The super-user may alter the priority of any process and set the priority to any value in the range PRIO_MIN (-20) to PRIO_MAX. Useful priorities are: 20 (the affected processes will run only when nothing else in the system wants to), 0 (the ``base'' scheduling priority), anything negative (to make things go very fast). FILES
/etc/passwd to map user names to user ID's EXAMPLES
Change the priority of process ID's 987 and 32, and all processes owned by users daemon and root. renice +1 987 -u daemon root -p 32 SEE ALSO
nice(1), rtprio(1), getpriority(2), setpriority(2) STANDARDS
The renice utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
The renice utility appeared in 4.0BSD. BUGS
Non super-users cannot increase scheduling priorities of their own processes, even if they were the ones that decreased the priorities in the first place. BSD
June 9, 1993 BSD