Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Use of Capabilities
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Use of Capabilities Post 302596888 by MikeGM on Wednesday 8th of February 2012 01:33:09 PM
Old 02-08-2012
Thanks Corona,

The system normally has about 180 processes active but despite this the processor utilisation rarely exceeds 30% to 40% of which rhythmbox is only a few percent. Rhythmbox works except that every 30 seconds to one minute the sound "glitches".

I have spent a considerable amount of time eliminating/fixing other issues with it and am now left with this residue of infrequent glitches. My current working hypothesis is that occasionally the demands of some other process briefly blocks rhythmbox from the processor causing a buffer underrun. This hypothesis is supported by the fact that on the significantly more powerful processor there is no glitching.

On the basis that the processing demands of Rhythmbox are slight and that it's probably the most time-critical application running, I thought it might be instructive to see what a higher priority might achieve.

tldnr; I'm not really using it as a go faster button, I'm hoping it will be a latency reduction mechanism.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Capabilities?

We are looking into buying a new software, billing software that is, and want to know if you can run that on the same UNIX server as another major software? Is there a limit to the different types of software Unix can run, or is it like windows where you can install as many as you like? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoz
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

p570 Capabilities

Hi there. I've been tasked with making a new design for our Unix systems :eek: Now the question I have is; How many LPARs can a p570 hold WITHOUT using a VIO Server. Many Thanks Kees (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KeesH
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

Adding capabilities to an RPM

Hi. I downloaded a package that could only be installed on RHEL5, and not 4 or 3, so I got the source in order to compile it on RHEL 3 so hopefully it will work on all versions. So I have the source for a working package, but when I build it in RHEL 3 and then try to install it in RHEL 5, it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boaz
6 Replies

4. SCO

Slow Processing - not matching hardware capabilities

I have been a SCO UNIX user, never an administrator...so I am stumbling around looking for information. I don't know too much about what is onboard in terms of hardware, however; I will try my best. We have SCO 5.07 and have applied MP5. We have a quad core processor with 4 250 GB... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atpbrownie
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux capabilities discussion

Hi I'm trying to compile my linux kernel with CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES=y. any idea what this thing does ?? Also another question , If I compile the kernel that I'm currently using , what'll happen ? ~cheers (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: leghorn
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

CentOS7 restoring file capabilities

Quite an obscure question I think. We have a rebuild process for remote sites that allows us to PXE rebuild a till (actually a PC with a touch screen and various fancy bits) running CentOS. The current CentOS5 tills work just fine with a tar image restore and some personalisation. Sadly,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbatte1
4 Replies
nice(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   nice(1)

Name
       nice, nohup - execute a command at a lower priority

Syntax
       nice [-number] command [arguments]

nohup command [arguments]

Description
       The  command  executes command with low scheduling priority (Bourne Shell only).  If the number argument is present, the priority is incre-
       mented (higher numbers mean lower priorities) by that amount up to a limit of 20.  The default number is 10.

The super-user may run commands with priority higher than normal by using a negative priority, for example, `--10'.

The command executes command immune to hangup and terminate signals from the controlling terminal.  The priority is incremented by 5.   The
       command	should	be  invoked  from  the shell with an ampersand (&) in order to prevent it from responding to interrupts by or stealing the
       input from the next person who logs in on the same terminal.  The syntax of is also different.

Options
       -number		   Increments the priority by a specified number up to a limit of 20.  The default is 10.

Restrictions
       The and commands are particular to If you use then commands executed with an ampersand (&) are automatically immune to hangup signals while
       in the background.  There is a built-in command which provides immunity from terminate, but it does not redirect output to nohup.out.

The  command  is built into with a slightly different syntax than described here.  The form ``nice +10'' nices to positive nice, and ``nice
       -10'' can be used by the superuser to give a process more of the processor.

Diagnostics
       The command returns the exit status of the subject command.

Files
       nohup.out standard output and standard error file under nohup

See Also
       csh(1), getpriority(2), renice(8)

nice(1)