Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash Script to Compress All Subdirectories Post 302596845 by furashgf on Wednesday 8th of February 2012 11:49:00 AM
Old 02-08-2012
Bash Script to Compress All Subdirectories

I'd like to create simple bash script that, given a directory, compresses each directory by name, e.g.:

Contents of ~/Documents
Folder1
Folder2
Folder3

compress-subdirectoies.sh ~/Documents

Results:
Folder1.[some kind of compression like bzip2 or zip]
Folder2.[some kind of compression like bzip2 or zip]
Folder2.[some kind of compression like bzip2 or zip]

Any advice would be appreciated

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compress script

Hi, How wud I script a particular log file to be compressed at a particular time and to be uncompressed after say 2 hours ? Im on a aix 3.2 box . file to be compressed --- > # pwd # /zssps/sps06/slogfile Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cubicle^dweller
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script needed for compress

i hav 200 logs files in a folder i want compress only the files having size more than 10 mb . please provide a script (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingkhankk
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script in saved in compress format

hi please help me i have scripts saved in compress format in sever Cherrs naveen.g (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naveeng.81
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue: Compress in unix server and FTP to windows and open the compress file using Winzip

Hi All ! We have to compress a big data file in unix server and transfer it to windows and uncompress it using winzip in windows. I have used the utility ZIP like the below. zip -e <newfilename> df2_test_extract.dat but when I compress files greater than 4 gb using zip utility, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Gzip files in Directory and itīs Subdirectories

Hello dear Community, I have a task to wrtie a script which will gzip not zipped files in a directory and itīs subdirectories. I succeeded in gzippung the directory but not the subdirectories: #/bin/bash #go to the directory where to zip cd $1 #Zip unzipped files for i in `ls | xargs... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesCarter
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress files as per timestamp in multiple subdirectories

I'd really appreciate if anyone could assist me with this code A directory with multiple subdirectories has multiple files which are timestamp'ed. We need to - compress files as per timestamp - save compressed file/s in the respective folder - delete the source files ============... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreewin7
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to compress the file for yesterday.

Hi, I want to write script for the last 5 files to compress. #!/bin/sh a= ls -ltr | awk '{print $9}' | head -5 | tail -3 echo `compress $a` exit 0 but this was telling "not found" please modify the script if i am wrong. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: victory
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script deleting my files, and editing files in subdirectories question

#!/bin/bash # name=$1 type=$2 number=1 for file in ./** do if then filenumber=00$number elif then filenumber=0$number fi tempname="$name""$filenumber"."$type" if (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGreatGizmo
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script monitor directory and subdirectories for new pdfs

I need bash script that monitor folders for new pdf files and create xml file for rss feed with newest files on the list. I have some script, but it reports errors. #!/bin/bash SYSDIR="/var/www/html/Intranet" HTTPLINK="http://TYPE.IP.ADDRESS.HERE/pdfs" FEEDTITLE="Najnoviji dokumenti na... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: markus1981
20 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to create new directory by date followed by identifier and additional subdirectories

I have a bash that downloads a list and if that list has data in it then a new main directory is created (with the date) with several subdirectories (example1, example2, example3). My question is in that list there are portion of specific file types (.vcf.gz) - identifier towards the end that have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies
PerlIO::via::Bzip2(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     PerlIO::via::Bzip2(3)

NAME
PerlIO::via::Bzip2 - PerlIO layer for Bzip2 (de)compression SYNOPSIS
use PerlIO::via::Bzip2; # or use PerlIO::via::Bzip2 level => 9; # Maximum compression # Read a bzip2 compressed file from disk. open(my $fh, "<:via(Bzip2)", "compressed_file"); my $uncompressed_data = <$fh>; # Compress data on-the-fly to a bzip2 compressed file on disk. open(my $fh, ">:via(Bzip2)", "compressed_file"); print {$fh} $uncompressed_data; # Set compression level PerlIO::via::Bzip2->level(5); open(my $fh, ">:via(Bzip2)", "compressed_file"); print {$fh} $uncompressed_data; DESCRIPTION
This module implements a PerlIO layer which will let you handle bzip2 compressed files transparently. Class Methods level([$level]) level sets or returns the compression level of the bzip2 library. It ranges from 1 (least compression, most efficient memory use) to 9 (best compression, most memory usage). This parameter can also be set during using library import, using "use PerlIO::via::Bzip2 level => $level". BUGS
Using binmode() on an opened file for compression will pop (remove) the layer. PREREQUISITES
This module requires Compress::Bzip2 version 1.03. SEE ALSO
PerlIO::via, Compress::Bzip2 AUTHOR
Arjen Laarhoven, <arjen@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2005 by Arjen Laarhoven This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2005-03-04 PerlIO::via::Bzip2(3)