Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Poor Performance of server
Operating Systems AIX Poor Performance of server Post 302596809 by zaxxon on Wednesday 8th of February 2012 10:21:57 AM
Old 02-08-2012
Killing processes to free resources is not a good idea. You might shoot something you still need.

Yes, from the look of it you have a severe bottleneck with your 1 hdisk. Is this hdisk a physical disk or a LUN from SAN storage?
Do you use asynchronous I/O (AIO) and have it tuned? Oracle will most probably benefit from it as well as getting additional disks.

nmon/topaz has a page that displays AIO stats, I think it was shift + a, not sure though, easy to try it out anyway.

You could post the output of
Code:
iostat -A 2 10
# and
vmstat -wt 2 10
# and
lsattr -El aio0

(the 1st 2 commands when there is traffic on your box) and use code tags when doing so, thanks.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Samba on E3500 Poor Performance!!!

Hi you all, I have a BIG performance problem on an Sun E3500, the scenario is described below: I have several users (30) accessing via samba to the E3500 using an application built on Visual Foxpro from their Windows PC , the problem is that the first guy that logs in demands 30% of the E3500... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex blanco
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Poor read performance on sun storedge a1000

Hello, i have a a1000 connected to an e6500. There's a raid 10 (12 disks) on the a1000. If i do a dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/1 bs=1024k count=1000 and then look at iostat it tells me there's a kw/s of 25000. But if i do a dd of=/dev/zero if=/mnt/1 bs=1024k count=1000 then i see only a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mbrenner
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

poor performance processing file with awk

Hello, I'm running a script on AIX to process lines in a file. I need to enclose the second column in quotation marks and write each line to a new file. I've come up with the following: #!/bin/ksh filename=$1 exec >> $filename.new cat $filename | while read LINE do echo $LINE | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scooter53080
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HW Raid poor io performance

Hello all We just built a storage cluster for our new xenserver farm. Using 3ware 9650SE raid controllers with 8 x 1TB WD sata disks in a raid 5, 256KB stripe size. While making first performance test on the local storage server using dd (which simulates the read/write access to the disk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: roli8200
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Poor Disk performance on ZFS

Hello, we have a machine with Solaris Express 11, 2 LSI 9211 8i SAS 2 controllers (multipath to disks), multiport backplane, 16 Seagate Cheetah 15K RPM disks. Each disk has a sequential performance of 220/230 MB/s and in fact if I do a dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdsk/<diskID_1> bs=1024k... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: golemico
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Poor disk performance however no sign of failure

Hello guys, I have two servers performing the same disk operations. I believe one server is having a disk's impending failure however I have no hard evidence to prove it. This is a pair of Netra 210's with 2 drives in a hardware raid mirror (LSI raid controller). While performing intensive... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s ladd
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Poor performance on an M3000

Hi We have an M3000 single physical processor and 8gb of memory running Solaris 10. This system runs two Oracle Databases one on Oracle 9i and One on Oracle 10g. As soon as the Oracle 10g database starts we see an immediate drop in system performance, for example opening an ssh session can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregsih
6 Replies

8. AIX

ISCSI poor performance 1.5MB/s fresh install AIX7.1

Hi Everyone, I have been struggling for few days with iSCSI and thought I could get some help on the forum... fresh install of AIX7.1 TL4 on Power 710, The rootvg relies on 3 SAS disks in RAID 0, 32GB Memory The lpar Profile is using all of the managed system's resources. I have connected... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: frenchy59
11 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Poor Windows 10 Performance of Parallels Desktop 15 on macOS Catalina

Just a quick note for macOS users. I just installed (and removed) Parallels Desktop 15 Edition on my MacPro (2013) with 64GB memory and 12-cores, which is running the latest version of macOS Catalina as of this post. The reason for this install was to test some RIGOL test gear software which... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
6 Replies
aio_proc_max(5) 						File Formats Manual						   aio_proc_max(5)

NAME
aio_proc_max - maximum number of async I/O operations that can be queued by any process that uses aio_reap() VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values Recommended values DESCRIPTION
This tunable places a limit on the system resources that can be consumed by processes that use aio_reap(2). The limit is enforced at a per-process level to improve scalability as the number of CPUs and processes increases. When this tunable is set to 0, it has no effect. That is, resource usage will be restricted by the other limits provided on HP-UX. (These include and setrlimit(2) with Use of these limits (while keeping at 0) ensures compatibility with POSIX standards and legacy applications. However, most of these other limits are enforced at the system-wide level, and they can in some cases reduce scalability. To solve this problem when compatibility with the other limits is not required, the tunable can be set. When is set to a positive value, it becomes the only tunable limit enforced for processes that use aio_reap(2). Memory-usage limits (e.g. or will NOT be enforced for aio_reap(2) processes when is set. However, processes that use POSIX AIO without aio_reap(2) (i.e. only using standard POSIX interface calls) will continue to have all of the old limits enforced. For sysadmins wishing to obtain the increased scalability of without giving up control of memory limits, the tunable can be set. That tun- able limits the size of each I/O, effectively constraining the total memory usage of all processes that use aio_reap(2) by the quantity: This approach provides full control of system-wide resource usage without depending on explicit system-wide constraints. Note: when is set, processes that use aio_reap(2) can still set process-specific limits with the limit. The minimum of and will be the value that is enforced by the AIO subsystem. However, ALL other rlimits related to AIO will have no effect (i.e. will not be enforced) for aio_reap(2) users when is non-zero. Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? System administrators that run applications requiring heavy usage of AIO (with aio_reap(2)) to disks or filesystems. Restrictions on Changing This tunable is dynamic. Changes to to this tunable take effect immediately for new processes started after the change. But they do not impact existing running processes. (That is, any process running at the time of tuning will be "grandfathered" in, and will adhere to the value held by this tunable at the time the process was started) When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? should be raised for applications that make heavy usage of AIO with aio_reap(2). What Are the Side Effects of Raising the Value of This Tunable? When raising this tunable from its default of 0 to a positive value, the effects described above will take place. (see However, once this tunable is a positive value, the only effect of raising it further is that more system resources can be used for asynchronous I/Os. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? should be lowered when AIO performance is acceptable but there is concern about too many system resources being devoted to AIO. What Are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value of This Tunable? As long as it remains a positive value, lowering the value of this tunable simply decreases the number of I/Os that each process can issue. When this tunable is set to 0, it will cease to have an effect, and the system will enforce only the old system-wide tunables described above (see What Other Tunables Should Be Changed at the Same Time as This One? No additional tunables need to be changed at the same time as this one. However, can optionally be set if there is an interest in limiting memory usage for AIO. In addition, when is set to a positive value, another option is to lower the values of the older system wide limits (such as and This is useful because the older limits will have no impact on aio_reap(2) users, and aio_reap(2) users are expected to consume the majority of system resources. (Leaving less resources for processes governed by the older limits) WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
kctune(1M), sam(1M), aio_reap(2), gettune(2), settune(2), setrlimit(2), aio(5), aio_iosize_max(5). aio_max_ops(5), aio_physmem_pct(5). Tunable Kernel Parameters aio_proc_max(5)