Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Poor Performance of server
Operating Systems AIX Poor Performance of server Post 302596809 by zaxxon on Wednesday 8th of February 2012 10:21:57 AM
Old 02-08-2012
Killing processes to free resources is not a good idea. You might shoot something you still need.

Yes, from the look of it you have a severe bottleneck with your 1 hdisk. Is this hdisk a physical disk or a LUN from SAN storage?
Do you use asynchronous I/O (AIO) and have it tuned? Oracle will most probably benefit from it as well as getting additional disks.

nmon/topaz has a page that displays AIO stats, I think it was shift + a, not sure though, easy to try it out anyway.

You could post the output of
Code:
iostat -A 2 10
# and
vmstat -wt 2 10
# and
lsattr -El aio0

(the 1st 2 commands when there is traffic on your box) and use code tags when doing so, thanks.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Samba on E3500 Poor Performance!!!

Hi you all, I have a BIG performance problem on an Sun E3500, the scenario is described below: I have several users (30) accessing via samba to the E3500 using an application built on Visual Foxpro from their Windows PC , the problem is that the first guy that logs in demands 30% of the E3500... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex blanco
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Poor read performance on sun storedge a1000

Hello, i have a a1000 connected to an e6500. There's a raid 10 (12 disks) on the a1000. If i do a dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/1 bs=1024k count=1000 and then look at iostat it tells me there's a kw/s of 25000. But if i do a dd of=/dev/zero if=/mnt/1 bs=1024k count=1000 then i see only a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mbrenner
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

poor performance processing file with awk

Hello, I'm running a script on AIX to process lines in a file. I need to enclose the second column in quotation marks and write each line to a new file. I've come up with the following: #!/bin/ksh filename=$1 exec >> $filename.new cat $filename | while read LINE do echo $LINE | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scooter53080
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HW Raid poor io performance

Hello all We just built a storage cluster for our new xenserver farm. Using 3ware 9650SE raid controllers with 8 x 1TB WD sata disks in a raid 5, 256KB stripe size. While making first performance test on the local storage server using dd (which simulates the read/write access to the disk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: roli8200
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Poor Disk performance on ZFS

Hello, we have a machine with Solaris Express 11, 2 LSI 9211 8i SAS 2 controllers (multipath to disks), multiport backplane, 16 Seagate Cheetah 15K RPM disks. Each disk has a sequential performance of 220/230 MB/s and in fact if I do a dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdsk/<diskID_1> bs=1024k... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: golemico
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Poor disk performance however no sign of failure

Hello guys, I have two servers performing the same disk operations. I believe one server is having a disk's impending failure however I have no hard evidence to prove it. This is a pair of Netra 210's with 2 drives in a hardware raid mirror (LSI raid controller). While performing intensive... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s ladd
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Poor performance on an M3000

Hi We have an M3000 single physical processor and 8gb of memory running Solaris 10. This system runs two Oracle Databases one on Oracle 9i and One on Oracle 10g. As soon as the Oracle 10g database starts we see an immediate drop in system performance, for example opening an ssh session can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregsih
6 Replies

8. AIX

ISCSI poor performance 1.5MB/s fresh install AIX7.1

Hi Everyone, I have been struggling for few days with iSCSI and thought I could get some help on the forum... fresh install of AIX7.1 TL4 on Power 710, The rootvg relies on 3 SAS disks in RAID 0, 32GB Memory The lpar Profile is using all of the managed system's resources. I have connected... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: frenchy59
11 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Poor Windows 10 Performance of Parallels Desktop 15 on macOS Catalina

Just a quick note for macOS users. I just installed (and removed) Parallels Desktop 15 Edition on my MacPro (2013) with 64GB memory and 12-cores, which is running the latest version of macOS Catalina as of this post. The reason for this install was to test some RIGOL test gear software which... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
6 Replies
ypserv(8yp)															       ypserv(8yp)

Name
       ypserv, ypbind - yellow pages (YP) server and binder processes

Syntax
       /usr/etc/ypserv
       /etc/ypbind [ -S domainname, servername1,servername2...	][ -X ]

Description
       The  yellow  pages (YP) service provides a network lookup service consisting of databases and processes.  The databases are files stored in
       the directory.  These files are described in The processes are the YP database lookup server, and the YP binder.  The software interface to
       the YP service is described in Administrative tools are described in and Tools to see the contents of YP maps are described in and Database
       generation and maintenance tools are described in and

Both and are daemon processes activated at system startup time from The command runs only on a YP server machine with a complete  YP  data-
       base.  The command runs on all machines using YP services, both YP servers and clients.

The  daemon's primary function is to look up information in its local database of YP maps.  The operations performed by are defined for the
       programmer in the header file

Communication with is by means of RPC calls.  Lookup functions are described in and are supplied as C-callable functions in

There are four lookup functions, all of which are performed on a specified map within a YP domain: and  The  operation  takes  a  key,  and
       returns	the  associated  value.  The operation returns the first key-value pair from the map, and the operation returns the remaining key-
       value pairs.  The operation ships the entire map to the requester.

Two other functions supply information about the map, rather than the map entries: and Both the order number and the master name  exist	in
       the map as key-value pairs, but the server will not return either through the usual lookup functions.  If the map is examined with however,
       they are visible.

Other functions are used within the YP subsystem itself, and are not of general interest to YP clients.	They include the the and the func-
       tions.

The  purpose  of the function is to remember information that lets client processes on a single node communicate with a process.  The func-
       tion must run on every machine that has YP client service requirements.	The function must be started through an entry in the file.

The information remembers is called a binding, the association of a domain name with the internet address of the YP server, and the port on
       that  host  at which the process is listening for service requests.  The process of binding is driven by client requests.  As a request for
       an unbound domain comes in, the process broadcasts on the net trying to find a process that serves maps	within	that  domain.	Since  the
       binding	is established by broadcasting, there must be at least one process on every net.  Once a domain is bound by a particular that same
       binding is given to every client process on the node.  The process on the local node or a remote node may be queried for the binding  of  a
       particular domain by using the command.

Bindings  are  verified	before	they are given out to a client process.  If is unable to speak to the process it is bound to, it marks the
       domain as unbound, tells the client process that the domain is unbound, and tries to bind the domain once again.  Requests received for	an
       unbound	domain	will  fail immediately.  In general, a bound domain is marked as unbound when the node running crashes or gets overloaded.
       When the node gets overloaded, will try to bind any YP server (typically one that is less-heavily loaded) available on the net.

The process also accepts requests to set its binding for a particular domain.  The request is usually generated by the YP subsystem itself.

Options
       -S	 Allows the system administrator to lock to a particular domain and set of servers. Up to four servers can be  specified  as  fol-
		 lows:
		 /etc/ypbind -S domainname,server1,server2,server3,server4
		 Note  that  there  can not be any spaces around the commas in the command line. The option ensures that this system only binds to
		 the specified domain and to one of the specified servers.  The servers used with the option must have entries in the local file.

-X	 The initial bind ( option forces to bind to a YP server at the time that the command is executed, instead of waiting until YP	is
		 used.	If no server is available at this time, will try for several minutes and then exit.  Normally, is executed at boot time.

The  option  enables  a  system  that	does not exclusively depend on YP to boot and to allow logins when there are no YP servers
		 available.  Without this option, such a system hangs.

Files
       If the file exists when starts up, log information is written to when error conditions occur.

See Also
       ypcat(1yp), ypmatch(1yp), ypwhich(1yp), ypclnt(3yp), ypfiles(5yp), yppush(8yp), ypxfr(8yp)
       Guide to the Yellow Pages Service

ypserv(8yp)