Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: zip files using bzip2
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting zip files using bzip2 Post 302596774 by isaacniu on Wednesday 8th of February 2012 09:14:14 AM
Old 02-08-2012
Question zip files using bzip2

Hi all,

Say I've got a file /tmp/tempfile.txt which contains a list of files with full path.

Now I would wish to take all filenames in that tempfile as arguments and zip them in a single archived file. So how could I archive this?

Seems like I need to use the xargs command?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Treating bzip2 files as text files

To save space on our development box, I'd like to manipulate tab-delimited files (many of which are huge) in bzip2 format. For simple things, these commands work: bunzip2 -c file.tab.bz2 | command | command bzcat file.tab.bz2 | command | command However, we do most of our work in Makefiles.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ShawnMilo
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unzip .zip file and list the files included in the .zip archive

Hello, I am trying to return the name of the resulting file from a .zip archive file using unix unzip command. unzip c07212007.cef7081.zip Archive: c07212007.cef7081.zip SecureZIP for z/OS by PKWARE inflating: CEP/CEM7080/PPVBILL/PASS/G0063V00 I used the following command to unzip in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oracledev
5 Replies

3. AIX

ZIP multiple files and also specify size of zip file

I have to zip many pdf files and the size of zip file must not exceed 200 MB. When size is more than 200 MB then multiple zip files needs to be created. How we can achieve this in UNIX? I have tried ZIP utility but it takes a lot of time when we add individual pdfs by looping through a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tom007
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zip Multiple files to One .zip file in AIX system

Hi I have a requirement in unix shell where I need to zip multiple files on server to one single .zip file. I dont see zip command in AIX and gzip command not doing completely what I want. One I do .zip file, I should be able to unzip in my local Computer. Here is example what I want... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: RAMA PULI
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create zip/gz/tar files for if the files are older than particular days in UNIX or Linux?

I need a script file for backup (zip or tar or gz) of old log files in our unix server (causing the space problem). Could you please help me to create the zip or gz files for each log files in current directory and sub-directories also? I found one command which is to create gz file for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mallikgm
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create multiple zip files each containing 50 xml files.

Hi, Is there a direct command or need to write a shell script for following requirement? Everyday a folder is populated with approx 25k to 30k xml files. I need to create multiple zip files in the same folder each containing 50 xml files. The last zip file may or may not contain 50 xml files.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rakesh Thobula
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unzip all the files with subdirectories present and append a part of string from the main .zip files

Hi frnds, My requirement is I have a zip file with name say eg: test_ABC_UH_ccde2a_awdeaea_20150422.zip within that there are subdirectories on each directory we again have .zip files and in that we have files like mama20150422.gz and so on. Iam in need of a bash script so that it unzips... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Kishore
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append string to all the files inside a directory excluding subdirectories and .zip files

Hii, Could someone help me to append string to the starting of all the filenames inside a directory but it should exclude .zip files and subdirectories. Eg. file1: test1.log file2: test2.log file3 test.zip After running the script file1: string_test1.log file2: string_test2.log file3:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Kishore
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can we Zip multiple files created on the same date into one single zip file.?

Hi all i am very new to shell scripting and need some help from you to learn 1)i have some log files that gets generated on daily basis example: i have abc_2017_01_30_1.log ,2017_01_30_2.log like wise so i want to zip this 4 logs which are created on same date into one zip folder. 2)Post zipping... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: b.saipriyanka
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can we Zip multiple files created on the same date into one single zip file.?

Hi all i am very new to shell scripting and need some help from you to learn 1)i have some log files that gets generated on daily basis example: i have abc_2017_01_30_1.log ,2017_01_30_2.log like wise so i want to zip this 4 logs which are created on same date into one zip folder. 2)Post zipping... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: b.saipriyanka
1 Replies
GIT-ARCHIVE(1)							    Git Manual							    GIT-ARCHIVE(1)

NAME
git-archive - Create an archive of files from a named tree SYNOPSIS
git archive [--format=<fmt>] [--list] [--prefix=<prefix>/] [<extra>] [-o | --output=<file>] [--worktree-attributes] [--remote=<repo> [--exec=<git-upload-archive>]] <tree-ish> [path...] DESCRIPTION
Creates an archive of the specified format containing the tree structure for the named tree, and writes it out to the standard output. If <prefix> is specified it is prepended to the filenames in the archive. git archive behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as the modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header if the tar format is used; it can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. In ZIP files it is stored as a file comment. OPTIONS
--format=<fmt> Format of the resulting archive: tar or zip. If this option is not given, and the output file is specified, the format is inferred from the filename if possible (e.g. writing to "foo.zip" makes the output to be in the zip format). Otherwise the output format is tar. -l, --list Show all available formats. -v, --verbose Report progress to stderr. --prefix=<prefix>/ Prepend <prefix>/ to each filename in the archive. -o <file>, --output=<file> Write the archive to <file> instead of stdout. --worktree-attributes Look for attributes in .gitattributes in working directory too. <extra> This can be any options that the archiver backend understands. See next section. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from the local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. --exec=<git-upload-archive> Used with --remote to specify the path to the git-upload-archive on the remote side. <tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce an archive for. path Without an optional path parameter, all files and subdirectories of the current working directory are included in the archive. If one or more paths are specified, only these are included. BACKEND EXTRA OPTIONS
zip -0 Store the files instead of deflating them. -9 Highest and slowest compression level. You can specify any number from 1 to 9 to adjust compression speed and ratio. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. ATTRIBUTES
export-ignore Files and directories with the attribute export-ignore won't be added to archive files. See gitattributes(5) for details. export-subst If the attribute export-subst is set for a file then git will expand several placeholders when adding this file to an archive. See gitattributes(5) for details. Note that attributes are by default taken from the .gitattributes files in the tree that is being archived. If you want to tweak the way the output is generated after the fact (e.g. you committed without adding an appropriate export-ignore in its .gitattributes), adjust the checked out .gitattributes file as necessary and use --work-tree-attributes option. Alternatively you can keep necessary attributes that should apply while archiving any tree in your $GIT_DIR/info/attributes file. EXAMPLES
git archive --format=tar --prefix=junk/ HEAD | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extract it in the /var/tmp/junk directory. git archive --format=tar --prefix=git-1.4.0/ v1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a compressed tarball for v1.4.0 release. git archive --format=tar --prefix=git-1.4.0/ v1.4.0^{tree} | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a compressed tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git archive --format=zip --prefix=git-docs/ HEAD:Documentation/ > git-1.4.0-docs.zip Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.zip, with the prefix git-docs/. git archive -o latest.zip HEAD Create a Zip archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch. Note that the output format is inferred by the extension of the output file. SEE ALSO
gitattributes(5) AUTHOR
Written by Franck Bui-Huu and Rene Scharfe. DOCUMENTATION
Documentation by David Greaves, Junio C Hamano and the git-list <git@vger.kernel.org[1]>. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite NOTES
1. git@vger.kernel.org mailto:git@vger.kernel.org Git 1.7.1 07/05/2010 GIT-ARCHIVE(1)