Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Vi/sed placing an "r" when I ask for "\r" Post 302596600 by MaindotC on Tuesday 7th of February 2012 11:12:38 PM
Old 02-08-2012
Vi/sed placing an "r" when I ask for "\r"

I'm using SunOS 5.9 and the version of vi on this machine has several differences, compared to other machines I use, that don't produce the desired result. For example, if I open a text file in vi and then enter the following in command mode:
Code:
%s/ /\r/g

I'm expecting vi to replace all spaces with a carriage return. Instead, it replaces all spaces with an "r". I've tried using \r\n, \n, \n\r and I still get the same result. This seems to be prevalent on all Solaris/SunOS hosts I use.

How do I determine the version of vi I am using? --version is not an option. When I determine the version how can I make the edits from within vi as described?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat $como_file | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g'

hi All, cat file_name | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g' Can this be done by using sed or awk alone (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ps -ef | grep "string1" "string2" " "string3"

Hi all, can any one suggest me the script to grep multiple strings from ps -ef pls correct the below script . its not working/ i want to print OK if all the below process are running in my solaris system. else i want to print NOT OK. bash-3.00$ ps -ef | grep blu lscpusr 48 42 ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve2216
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

6. Solaris

The slices "usr", "opt", "tmp" disappeared!!! Help please.

The system don't boot. on the screen appears following: press enter to maintenance (or type CTRL-D to continue)...I checked with format command. ... the slices "0-root","1-swap","2-backup" exist. ...the slises "3-var","6-usr" -unassigned. :( (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
16 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
TWIGLET(1)							   User's Manual							TWIGLET(1)

NAME
twiglet - observe or control an RVC-enabled machine's console SYNOPSIS
twiglet [OPTION]... host-specification DESCRIPTION
twiglet is a program for controlling another machine's console. It works using the RVC protocol, and an RVC server (such as rvcd(1)) must be running on the machine to be observed. Using twiglet, the a best effort attempt is made to duplicate the screen contents of the observed machine. If the machine is displaying a virtual text console, the text on the console is rendered in the terminal in which twiglet runs. If the machine is displaying an X ses- sion, and the RVC server supports VNC integration, twiglet will open a window that contains the current contents of the X display. It is also possible to control the observed machine in various ways. With keyboard control enabled (and with support from the RVC server), keys may be sent to the observed machine in text console mode almost as if they were typed from the keyboard. Twiglet also supports switching virtual console on the observed machine. Finally, if VNC integration is available, the X display can be manipulated almost as if the user were at the console. The intended use for twiglet is in training and teaching environments. The idea is that there are student machines and a control machine (which the trainer or teacher would be using), with a serial line attached to each student machine. The trainer or teacher can then ana- lyse the students' attempts to complete tasks, and help them out (showing them how to finish it) without needed to push them aside to get to the keyboard. This client is written using ncurses(3X). OPTIONS
--help display a help message and exit successfully --version display a version number and exit successfully -c, --control control the remote machine rather than just observing it -e xy, --escape xy set the escape character and the escape escape character (like screen(1)) The host-specification takes one of the following forms: host:port to connect to an RVC server over TCP tty [host] to communicate with an RVC server over a tty (for example a serial line); the optional hostname is for VNC integration BUGS
I'm sure there are bugs, but I don't know what they are. AUTHOR
Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com> VTGRAB
20 Sep 2000 TWIGLET(1)