Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Finding Nth Column
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Finding Nth Column Post 302596479 by bartus11 on Tuesday 7th of February 2012 01:41:45 PM
Old 02-07-2012
Code:
awk -F\| '{for (i=1;i<=NF;i++) if (!(i%3)) print $i}' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding nth occurrence in line and replacing it

Hi, I have several files with data that have to be imported to a database. These files contain records with separator characters. Some records are corrupt (2 separators are missing) and I need to correct them prior to importing them into the db. Example: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stresing
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing 1st or nth column

Hi, I have a file whick is pipe delimited : 100| alpha| tabgo|watch| |||| 444444 | alpha| tabgo|watch| |||| 444444 | sweden |tabgo|watch| |||| 444444 | US| tabgo|watch| |||| 444444 100| factory| tabgo|watch| |||| 444444 | ABC| tabgo|watch| |||| 444444 | launch| tabgo|watch| ||||... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: darshanw
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding nth line across multiple files

I have several files (around 50) that have the similar format. I need to extract the 5th line from every file and output that into a text file. So far, I have been able to figure out how to do it for a single file: $ awk 'NR==5' text1.txt > results.txt OR $ sed -n '5p' text1.txt > results.txt... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: oriqin
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

get 3rd column of nth line

hi; i have a file.txt and its 9th, 10th and 11th line lines are: RbsLocalCell=S2C1 maxPortIP 4 (this is 9th line) RbsLocalCell=S3C1 maxPortIP 4 (this is 10th line) RbsLocalCell=S1C1 ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding the nth match

I have a file that has information for a person....each person gets 3 or more lines to describe them. I was hoping to match person 1, then person 2.....BUT I do not know how to tell grep I only want the first (2nd, 3rd or nth) match. The alternative is doing line by line logic, which is fine... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: countryStyle
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using AWK to find top Nth values in Nth column

I have an awk script to find the maximum value of the 2nd column of a 2 column datafile, but I need to find the top 5 maximum values of the 2nd column. Here is the script that works for the maximum value. awk 'BEGIN { subjectmax=$1 ; max=0} $2 >= max {subjectmax=$1 ; max=$2} END {print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating average for every Nth line in the Nth column

Is there an awk script that can easily perform the following operation? I have a data file that is in the format of 1944-12,5.6 1945-01,9.8 1945-02,6.7 1945-03,9.3 1945-04,5.9 1945-05,0.7 1945-06,0.0 1945-07,0.0 1945-08,0.0 1945-09,0.0 1945-10,0.2 1945-11,10.5 1945-12,22.3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
3 Replies

8. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Finding the nth Particular Week in a Month – shell script

I see lot of request posted in internet to find out the day of nth week in a Month. example: what is the date of 3rd Sunday in October What is the date of 2nd Friday in June 2012 what is the date of 4th Saturday in January 2011..etc.. The below shell script is used to find out the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itkamaraj
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Taking nth column and putting its value in n+1 column using awk

Hello Members, Need your expert opinion how to tackle below. I have an input file that looks like below: USS|AWCC|AFGAW|93|70 USSAA|Roshan TDCA|AFGTD|93|72,79 ALB|Vodafone|ALBVF|355|69 ALGEE|Wataniya (Nedjma)|DZAWT|213|50,550 I like output file in below format: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: umarsatti
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting the lines with nth column non-null

Hi, I have a huge list of archives (.gz). Each archive is about 40MB. A file is generated every minute so if I want to analyze the data for 1 hour I get already 60 files for example. These are text files, ';' separated, each line having about 300 fields (columns). What I need to do is to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nenad
11 Replies
lugadmin(1M)															      lugadmin(1M)

NAME
lugadmin - long user and group name enablement and display SYNOPSIS
num] DESCRIPTION
The command enables the support of long user and group names on the system, sets the default display width for long user and group names, and displays the current status of the system. If no options are specified, the option is assumed. Options The following options are supported: Enable long user and group name support on the system. See the subsection below for details. This option requires superuser privileges. Set num as the default display width for long user and group names. num can be in the range to The option can be only be specified with the option or when long names have been previously enabled. See the subsection below for details. This option requires superuser privileges. Display the current status of the system. The command displays one of: The system is restricted to short (8-byte) user and group names. The system is enabled for long (255-byte) user and group name support. A name string can be up to 255 bytes plus a trailing NULL byte. Enabling Long User and Group Names To enable long user and group names, 1. Stop the daemon. 2. Run the command with the option. 3. The command requests confirmation before enabling the system. If you respond with or the command proceeds; otherwise, it aborts. 4. The command creates the file. 5. If the option is not specified, num defaults to The specified or default value of num is written in Setting the User and Group Name Display Width The long user and group name default display width is set when is executed with the option. It can be changed at any time by executing with the option. If is not specified with the option, the value of num defaults to Application Usage Use one of these: o in program code; see sysconf(2) and the section. o in program code; see ug_display_width(3C). o in shell scripts; see getconf(1) and the section. o in shell scripts and all return either (short names) or (long names). See ug_display_width(3C) for its return values. Use one of the following procedures: o In program code, call o In a shell script, 1. Run or to see if long names are enabled. If not enabled, set width to 2. Else, if enabled, check for the environment variable. If the variable is set to a value between set width to the value. Oth- erwise set width to 3. Else, if not set, set width to the value in the file. Set width to if the value is out of range, not an integer, or improperly formatted. The current display width is used by all system and conforming applications to display formatted output. See section of ug_dis- play_width(3C) for usage of current display width. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables If it is set and long names are enabled, it overrides the width specified in the file for all system and conforming applications that write formatted output. RETURN VALUE
exits with one of the following values: Successful completion Failure DIAGNOSTICS
You may have attempted to use the option for a second time. You tried to use the option before using the option. A call to the function failed. WARNINGS
The file is the switch that marks a long name system. If it is missing, short names are assumed and the variable is ignored. While many programs are unaffected by long names in a short name environment, some may behave abnormally and some may abort. It is recommended that you do not attempt to restore the short name environment once long names have been enabled. Do not use the system constant with the command or the function to test for name length; it is not changed when long names are enabled. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. FILES
If this file is present, the system is enabled for long user and group names; otherwise, it is not. This file contains the default display width, as set with the option. SEE ALSO
getconf(1), sysconf(2), ug_display_width(3C) lugadmin(1M)