Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Use regex in replacement string in SED Post 302596463 by birei on Tuesday 7th of February 2012 12:42:28 PM
Old 02-07-2012
Hi snowline84,

It is possible using sed, but there are better tools. Are you stuck with it?

See what an ugly script:
Code:
$ sed '
  1 { 
    x; 
    s/^.*$/00000000001111111111AAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBB/; 
    s/\(0\+\)\(1\+\)\(A\+\)\(B\+\)/\1\1\1\2\2\2\3\3\3\3\3\3\4\4\4/; 
    x 
  }; 
  /^\([A-Z]\{5\}\)/ { 
    G; 
    s/^\([A-Z]\{5\}\).\{150\}\(.*\)\n\(.*\)$/\1\3\2/ 
  }
' inputfile

Regards,
Birei

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed problem - replacement string should be same length as matching string.

Hi guys, I hope you can help me with my problem. I have a text file that contains lines like this: 78 ANGELO -809.05 79 ANGELO2 -5,000.06 I need to find all occurences of amounts that are negative and replace them with x's 78 ANGELO xxxxxxx 79... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amangeles
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement using sed

I need to search and replace a particular string in a file. Only the exact match of the string should be replaced. eg: File contents : abc abcd abcdef --> Replace only 'abc' with 'xyz', but it should not replace abcd with xyzd. So the o/p should be: xyz abcd abcdef. How can this be done? I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sngk
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED complex string replacement

sed -i 's:"ps -ef | grep $(cat $PID_FILE) | grep -v grep":"ps -C java -o pid,cmd | grep ${SERVER_NAME} | cut -d' ' -f1 | grep -v grep":g' scriptName That's what I'm attempting to do. I'm attempting to replace this: ps -ef | grep $(cat $PID_FILE) | grep -v grep with this: ps -C java -o... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbo0485
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exact String replacement with sed

Hi, What should be the syntax to match and replace an exact string using sed? And not replacing any string that contain the value? Eg. testtest etstetst testetst testtttt etsttest testtesttest testtest I only want to replace the line with exact string "testtest" with "123456" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srage
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash string replacement - how to use regex?

Hello I have a bash script where I need to do a substring replacement like this: variable2=${variable1/foo/bar} However, I only want "foo" replaced if it is at the end of the line. However, this does not work: variable2=${variable1/foo$/bar} as you can see I'm using the $ regex for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ubuntu-UK
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed string replacement question

Hey everybody. I've got a simple problem but am unsure how to resolve it. I am using a script to edit multiple files at once. Inside the script I am using an sed command to make the changes. My problem is that I can only get it to work for stings that contain a word or words. How can I modify it to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iwatk003
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed regex backreference replacement

Hello, I want to rename multiple files and catch some points about backreference within sed and regex. Here is a part of my file list. Input: S92A.fa S92B.fa ... S96Z.fa S921.fa S922.fa ... S997.fa Note: The file names are not necessarily continuous from A~Z or 921 ~ 997, as some of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive replacement of search string using sed

Dear Unix Forum Group Members, Please do let me know how I can replace the double pipe with single pipe recursively on single record. Sample Input Data: DN set|Call prefix||| Called number address nature 0||| *789|||||||ALL number types 0||| 00||||||||ALL number types 10||... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinu.kadem
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: how to use file contents in replacement string

I want to replace a string by contents of file. I am trying the following sed command: cat sample | sed "s^<enter description here>^`cat details`^" But it is not working. a=`cat details` and using $a will not help since it will affect the whitespaces. What am I missing in the above sed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand_bh
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed, Inline replacement of string with spaces

Hello, Just surfed on the web for probable answers but could not get them working. I wish to replace the string containing spaces by another phrase but below answers did not work. My string is: PAIN & GAIN I wish to convert it to: P&G I just need it working with sed with function -i ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
6 Replies
PREG_REPLACE_CALLBACK(3)						 1						  PREG_REPLACE_CALLBACK(3)

preg_replace_callback - Perform a regular expression search and replace using a callback

SYNOPSIS
mixed preg_replace_callback (mixed $pattern, callable $callback, mixed $subject, [int $limit = -1], [int &$count]) DESCRIPTION
The behavior of this function is almost identical to preg_replace(3), except for the fact that instead of $replacement parameter, one should specify a $callback. PARAMETERS
o $pattern - The pattern to search for. It can be either a string or an array with strings. o $callback - A callback that will be called and passed an array of matched elements in the $subject string. The callback should return the replacement string. This is the callback signature: string handler (array $matches) You'll often need the $callback function for a preg_replace_callback(3) in just one place. In this case you can use an anonymous function to declare the callback within the call to preg_replace_callback(3). By doing it this way you have all information for the call in one place and do not clutter the function namespace with a callback function's name not used anywhere else. Example #1 preg_replace_callback(3) and anonymous function <?php /* a unix-style command line filter to convert uppercase * letters at the beginning of paragraphs to lowercase */ $fp = fopen("php://stdin", "r") or die("can't read stdin"); while (!feof($fp)) { $line = fgets($fp); $line = preg_replace_callback( '|<p>s*w|', function ($matches) { return strtolower($matches[0]); }, $line ); echo $line; } fclose($fp); ?> o $subject - The string or an array with strings to search and replace. o $limit - The maximum possible replacements for each pattern in each $subject string. Defaults to -1 (no limit). o $count - If specified, this variable will be filled with the number of replacements done. RETURN VALUES
preg_replace_callback(3) returns an array if the $subject parameter is an array, or a string otherwise. On errors the return value is NULL If matches are found, the new subject will be returned, otherwise $subject will be returned unchanged. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------+ | 5.1.0 | | | | | | | The $count parameter was added | | | | +--------+---------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #2 preg_replace_callback(3) example <?php // this text was used in 2002 // we want to get this up to date for 2003 $text = "April fools day is 04/01/2002 "; $text.= "Last christmas was 12/24/2001 "; // the callback function function next_year($matches) { // as usual: $matches[0] is the complete match // $matches[1] the match for the first subpattern // enclosed in '(...)' and so on return $matches[1].($matches[2]+1); } echo preg_replace_callback( "|(d{2}/d{2}/)(d{4})|", "next_year", $text); ?> The above example will output: April fools day is 04/01/2003 Last christmas was 12/24/2002 Example #3 preg_replace_callback(3) using recursive structure to handle encapsulated BB code <?php $input = "plain [indent] deep [indent] deeper [/indent] deep [/indent] plain"; function parseTagsRecursive($input) { $regex = '#[indent]((?:[^[]|[(?!/?indent])|(?R))+)[/indent]#'; if (is_array($input)) { $input = '<div style="margin-left: 10px">'.$input[1].'</div>'; } return preg_replace_callback($regex, 'parseTagsRecursive', $input); } $output = parseTagsRecursive($input); echo $output; ?> SEE ALSO
PCRE Patterns, preg_quote(3), preg_replace(3), preg_last_error(3), Anonymous functions, information about the callback type. PHP Documentation Group PREG_REPLACE_CALLBACK(3)