Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script that creates directory structure Post 302596426 by Corona688 on Tuesday 7th of February 2012 10:36:49 AM
Old 02-07-2012
It is pretty simple. [[ -d "directoryname" ]] tests for the existence of a directory.

It seems that your shell doesn't like [[ brackets, though. You can replace it with something even simpler:

Code:
# If directory doesn't exist, run mkdir ${_DIRECTORY_PATH}
[ -d "${_DIRECTORY_PATH}" ] || mkdir "${_DIRECTORY_PATH}"

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying a Directory Structure to a new structure

Hi all Is it possible to copy a structure of a directory only. e.g. I have a file with the following entries that is a result of a find :- /dir1/dir2/file.dbf /dir1/dir2/dir3/file1.dbf /dir1/file.dbf I want to copy these to a directory and keep the structure however starting at a new dir... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhansrod
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to make big directory structure

Hi, I'm a novice and I'd like to make a directory structure with a hundred or so folders. I've tried mkdir /foo/foo1/etc... mkdir /foo/foo2/etc mkdir /foo/foo3/etc mkdir /foo/foo4/etc ...but it appends '@' to each folder name and then fails on the subdirectories. Is it better to use a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamur
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

MV files from one directory structure(multiple level) to other directory structure

Hi, I am trying to write a script that will move all the files from source directory structure(multiple levels might exist) to destination directory structure. If a sub folder is source doesnot exist in destination then I have to skip and goto next level. I also need to delete the files in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srmadab
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in Directory Structure

I have writen the following code to show the dirctory structure. Can any body help me for using the recursive function in this code? echo "-(0)" echo "$HOME-(1)" cd ~ set * for i in `ls $HOME` do if then echo ".....${i}" cd... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: murtaza
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to remove all empty files within the directory structure?

Hi I need to write a shell script which basically searches for all the empty files within the directory structure, lists them before asking the user to confirm if they would like to delete them. If the user deletes the file then a notice would appear confirming the file is deleted. I've be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cat123
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directory Structure

Hi... I have a directory which has multiple directories and sub directories inside... what command should i use to get a list of all these directories, without the filenames.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saharookiedba
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for a writing the directory structure to a file

Hi All, I am new user of shell scripting has come up with a problem. that I have a directory structure like : Home | |--------A | |----trunk | |-------A_0_1/ | | | |-------A_0_2/ | |--------B | ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing a directory structure

Hey everyone I am just trying print a directory structure but I am not getting the desired output. I am using AIX. Script : input file contains : TNP\\ECOM\\test\\1 input_file=folders.txt cat $input_file | while read line do echo $line done (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocker_me2002
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create Directory structure

Hello ; ) again Now I have my file like this : DIR2/DIR3 DIR2 DIR2/DIR3/DIR4/DIR5 I am looking for help to create a loop that will create the directory structure. I need something like this : If "DIR2" does not exist > Create IF "DIR2" exist already > check if onther "DIR"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aswex
5 Replies
MKDIR(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  MKDIR(1)

NAME
mkdir -- make directories SYNOPSIS
mkdir [-p] [-m mode] directory_name ... DESCRIPTION
mkdir creates the directories named as operands, in the order specified, using mode rwxrwxrwx (0777) as modified by the current umask(2). The options are as follows: -m Set the file permission bits of the final created directory to the specified mode. The mode argument can be in any of the formats specified to the chmod(1) utility. If a symbolic mode is specified, the operation characters ``+'' and ``-'' are interpreted rela- tive to an initial mode of ``a=rwx''. -p Create intermediate directories as required. If this option is not specified, the full path prefix of each operand must already exist. Intermediate directories are created with permission bits of rwxrwxrwx (0777) as modified by the current umask, plus write and search permission for the owner. Do not consider it an error if the argument directory already exists. The user must have write permission in the parent directory. EXIT STATUS
mkdir exits 0 if successful, and >0 if an error occurred. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), rmdir(1), mkdir(2), umask(2) STANDARDS
The mkdir utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
January 25, 1994 BSD