Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to suppress the error while copying the file Post 302596333 by arukuku on Tuesday 7th of February 2012 06:22:48 AM
Old 02-07-2012
How to suppress the error while copying the file

HI ,

I am tryin to copying multiple files from some dir. If the files are not present. It should not throw error in the screen. HOw to do that . Please help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to suppress error messages in script

I am getting the following upon cat a file which is not present in directory. "cat: cannot open test1.txt" I need to process files and I want that this message should be suppressed. thx (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: helper2007
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Suppress error message in unzip

I'm creating a bsh shell to unzip a file from one directory into another. The directory that holds the zip files has zip files constantly being added to it, so I am testing it before it does the unzip and more. Right now my code looks like this: unzip -tq $ZIP_PATH/$ZIP_NAME >/dev/null if ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: skwyer
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Suppress error message in shell script

Hi All this is a simple script #! /bin/bash FileCnt=`ls -lrt $DIR/* | wc -l` echo $FileCnt how could i escape the error msg if there are no files in $DIR ls: /home/sayantan/test/files/cnt/*: No such file or directory 0 Looking forward for a quick reply Regards, Newbie... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie07
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No such file or directory error while copying files

Hi, I need to copy files from one dir to another dir. The list of filesnames to be moved are in a file called files2cp.log Script: #!/bin/ksh exec 0</home/amdocs/files2cp.log while read LINE do cp -i /iccs33/attach/"$LINE" /iccs30/attach/"$LINE" done The output is "No such... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinirsr
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to suppress the file name when we check for disk space

How to supress the file name when we check for disk space ? I used this command : du -ks /home/dir1/dir2/file.csv it returns 13 /home/dir1/dir2/file.csv Please explain the options too (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arukuku
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Suppress Error Message

How can I suppress a error message being given by awk command in bash shell? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prachi Gupta
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to suppress error in following command?

I have a file containing data in multiple columns. The colums are seperated by pipe (|). I need to extract information as below: myfile_20130929_781;10;100.00 where myfile.txt is the file name. 10 is the number of records in the file starting with 120 and 100.00 is the sum of 26th field of... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
16 Replies

8. AIX

Error while copying file on AIX

/oragriddb_01/app/oracle/product/11203> ct_14_2012_22_58_58/files/lib/libdbcfg11.so /oragrid_01/Grid_11203/lib/libdbcfg11.so < cp: /oragrid_01/Grid_11203/lib/libdbcfg11.so: Cannot open or remove a file containing a running program. Best regards, Vishal (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tcsh: How to suppress error messages.

Hallo, I wrote some script: 95% of the script's output consists of error messages like "mkdir: cannot create directory ‘final': File exists Exit 1" and "rm: No match. Exit 1". These messages are not harmful at all, but they make the output almost unreadable. How can I get rid of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DanielDD
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error copying file using wildcard

Hi, cd /web/myf ls -ltr -rwxr-x--- 1 user1 Admin 17 Oct 7 15:53 mykey.db -rwxr-x--- 1 user1 Admin 21 Oct 7 15:53 test.shmore test.sh cd log01 pwd cp ../*.db .When i run the test.sh i get the below output / error. Output: /web/myf/log01 cp: cannot stat `../*.db': No such file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies
lif(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							    lif(4)

NAME
lif - logical interchange format description DESCRIPTION
LIF (Logical Interchange Format) is a Hewlett-Packard standard mass-storage format that can be used for interchange of files among various HP computer systems. A LIF volume contains a header (identifying it as a LIF volume) and a directory that defines the contents (i.e. files) of the volume. The size of the directory is fixed when the volume is initialized (see lifinit(1)) and sets an upper bound on the number of files that can be created on the volume. HP-UX contains a set of utilities (referred to as lif*(1)) that can be used to: o Initialize a LIF volume (i.e. create a header and an empty directory), o Copy files to and from LIF volumes, o List the contents of LIF volumes, o Remove LIF files, o Rename LIF files. The lif*(1) utilities are the only utilities within HP-UX where the internal structure of a LIF volume is known. To the rest of HP-UX, a LIF volume is simply a file containing some unspecified data. The term LIF volume should in no way be confused with the HP-UX notion of a file system volume or mountable volume. LIF utilities on HP-UX currently support three file types, ASCII (1), BINARY (-2) and BIN (-23951). Three copying modes are associated with these file types: If the copying mode is ASCII and an HP-UX file is being copied to a LIF volume, the utility strips the trailing LF (line-feed) character, and inserts two bytes of record length in front of each record. These records are then written to a LIF-formatted medium. When copying a LIF ASCII file to HP-UX the two-byte record length is stripped and a trailing LF is appended. These records are then written to the destination. In this mode of copying, the length of the file is preserved. The default file type for this mode of copying is ASCII (1). If the copying mode is and an HP-UX file is being copied to a LIF volume, the utility simply inserts two bytes for record length in front of each 1-Kbyte record. A trailing fractional block has a count reflecting the number of bytes in that block. No interpretation is placed on the content of the records. These records are then written to a LIF-format medium. When copying a LIF file to an HP-UX file in copying mode, the record lengths are stripped and the content of records is directly written to the destination. In this mode of copying, the length of the binary file is preserved. The default file type for this mode of copying is (-2). If the copying mode is RAW, and an HP-UX file is being copied to a LIF volume, the utility simply copies the raw data to the destination. File sizes that are not integer multiples of 256 bytes are padded with nulls to the next higher multiple. Therefore, When copying a LIF file to an HP-UX file in RAW mode, the information is copied directly without any interpretation placed on the content of the source. The default file type for this mode of copying is (-23951). A LIF volume can be created on any HP-UX file (either regular disk file or device special file) that supports random access via (see lseek(2)). lif*(1) utilities. See lifinit(1) for details. Within a LIF volume, individual files are identified by 1- to 10-character file names. File names can consist of uppercase alphanumeric characters (A through Z, 0 through 9) and the underscore character (_). The first character of a LIF file name must be a letter (A through Z). The lif*(1) utilities accept any file name (including illegal file names generated on other systems), but can only create legal names. This means that files whose names contain lowercase letters can be read but not created. LIF file names are specified to the lif*(1) utilities by concatenating the HP-UX path name for the LIF volume followed by the LIF file name, separating the two with a colon For example: specifies LIF file accessed via HP-UX device special file specifies LIF file within HP-UX disk file Note that this file-naming convention is applicable only for use as arguments to the lif*(1) utilities, and does not constitute valid path naming for any other use within the HP-UX operating system. lif*(1) utilities. SEE ALSO
lifcp(1), lifinit(1), lifls(1), lifrename(1), lifrm(1). lif(4)