Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Alternate to SLEEP for EXPECT within BASH script? Post 302596145 by Corona688 on Monday 6th of February 2012 04:59:41 PM
Old 02-06-2012
If they have to type a password anyway, why not let ssh do the password work? You can do as I did above without the keys, and ssh will ask for a password once to do all the commands in the here-document...

For work with multiple servers, I have a key with a password on it, which I cache with ssh-agent. It asks me once for my key password, on login, and I can use it until I log out to access any servers that were given that key. It's still password protected, but with one password entry, not 9,000.

The ultimate argument is this: If they hate the idea of keys, they'd be absolutely livid to know you were using a third-party brute-force hacking utility to sledgehammer in passwords in an insecure manner instead.

Last edited by Corona688; 02-06-2012 at 06:05 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wants alternate to the Sleep option??

I am new to Shell Scripting and I need help to write the following script in a different format... This is the current script: #!/usr/bin/ksh environment=rms export environment . $AW_HOME/RETEK/exec/RETEK_ENVAR ls -ltr $MMPOS/RTLOG* | tr -s " " | cut -d " " -f9... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyajit007
20 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

question about "sleep" command in expect script

I wrote some expect script to telnet to some device to execute some commands.Firstly,I can't get full result some time,then I try to add some "sleep" command in it.Fortunately it works. My idea about it is that it uses sleep command to wait the result to be displayed.Am I right or correct the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: robbiezr
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with Expect script for Cisco IPS Sensors, Expect sleep and quoting

This Expect script provides expect with a list of IP addresses to Cisco IPS sensors and commands to configure Cisco IPS sensors. The user, password, IP addresses, prompt regex, etc. have been anonymized. In general this script will log into the sensors and send commands successfully but there are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: genewolfe
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

expect in bash script

Hi, I'm writing a shell script that calls a few commands that prompt the user for two simple yes/no questions. if the answers are consistent (the first is a yes, the second is a no), what would my expect script look like? Google is only giving me answers for scripts where I telnet or ssh. right now... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: js741
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot get this bash/expect script to run under a crontab

#!/bin/bash # # RAP configuration script # # Usage: ./rap.sh # # Requires: expect, tcl # # Script expects to find a file called rap.csv located in the same directory as the script. If the file is placed # in a different directory, modify the custom entries section to specify the absolute... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrkool
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script called in loop from Bash Script

Having issues with an expect script. I've been scripting bash, python, etc... for a couple years now, but just started to try and use Expect. Trying to create a script that takes in some arguments, and then for now, just runs a pwd command(for testing, final will be command I pass). Here is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbo0485
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Acces Variable from expect-Script in bash-Script

Hi all, I have a little problem with a expect in a bash Script. The hull of my script: #!/bin/sh ( expect -c ' set a \"eee\"; # the variable a ' ) echo $a; # using the variable out of the expect script I would like to use the variable out of the expect script(in bash),... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gandalfthepink
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect not working inside my Bash script

I am trying to execute expect command inside by small bash script to login into servers using key authentication method. My script is as follows: #!/bin/bash HOST=$1 /usr/bin/expect -c " spawn ssh -i /root/.ssh/id_rsa root@$HOST expect -exact "Enter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: John Wilson
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script with expect

Dear all Hi I want use expect in bash so that we can not use these with each other /bin/bash. With. /usr/bin/expect How can use these with on script or how can call a script from other script #!/bin/bash clear echo "================================== " echo "Enter your Esxi IP"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Baber
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bash script + expect

im very happy to back for this forum I have servers with alias of double dns extentions: sample: servera.test.com servera.test1.com serverb.test.com serverb.test1.com I need to login to that severs and executing the set of commands if test.com failed then try to login via... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakash0106
0 Replies
CHECKBASHISMS(1)					      General Commands Manual						  CHECKBASHISMS(1)

NAME
checkbashisms - check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts SYNOPSIS
checkbashisms script ... checkbashisms --help|--version DESCRIPTION
checkbashisms, based on one of the checks from the lintian system, performs basic checks on /bin/sh shell scripts for the possible presence of bashisms. It takes the names of the shell scripts on the command line, and outputs warnings if possible bashisms are detected. Note that the definition of a bashism in this context roughly equates to "a shell feature that is not required to be supported by POSIX"; this means that some issues flagged may be permitted under optional sections of POSIX, such as XSI or User Portability. In cases where POSIX and Debian Policy disagree, checkbashisms by default allows extensions permitted by Policy but may also provide options for stricter checking. OPTIONS
--help, -h Show a summary of options. --newline, -n Check for "echo -n" usage (non POSIX but required by Debian Policy 10.4.) --posix, -p Check for issues which are non POSIX but required to be supported by Debian Policy 10.4 (implies -n). --force, -f Force each script to be checked, even if it would normally not be (for instance, it has a bash or non POSIX shell shebang or appears to be a shell wrapper). --extra, -x Highlight lines which, whilst they do not contain bashisms, may be useful in determining whether a particular issue is a false posi- tive which may be ignored. For example, the use of "$BASH_ENV" may be preceded by checking whether "$BASH" is set. --version, -v Show version and copyright information. EXIT VALUES
The exit value will be 0 if no possible bashisms or other problems were detected. Otherwise it will be the sum of the following error val- ues: 1 A possible bashism was detected. 2 A file was skipped for some reason, for example, because it was unreadable or not found. The warning message will give details. SEE ALSO
lintian(1). AUTHOR
checkbashisms was originally written as a shell script by Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org> and rewritten in Perl with many more features by Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities CHECKBASHISMS(1)