Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete string between 3rd tab and first pattern with SED Post 302595820 by theclem35 on Sunday 5th of February 2012 10:58:09 AM
Old 02-05-2012
Hi,

It doesn't work. It give me
Code:
pattern1       pattern2       pattern3      Pattern4-which-contains-HELLO>-string-and-other-stuff-and-second-HELLO-and-third-HELLO <

Is there a way to specify 3rd tab as 1st pattern and 1st HELLO as 2nd pattern and replace everything by nothing between these two patterns ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trim String in 3rd Column in Tab Delimited File...SED/PERL/AWK?

Hey Everybody, I am having much trouble figuring this out, as I am not really a programmer..:mad: Datafile.txt Column0 Column1 Column2 ABC DEF xxxGHI I am running using WGET on a cronjob to grab a datafile, but I need to cut the first three characters from... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rickdini
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete parts of a string of character in one given column of a tab delimited file

I would like to remove characters from column 7 so that from an input file looking like this: >HWI-EAS422_12:4:1:69:89 GGTTTAAATATTGCACAAAAGGTATAGAGCGT U0 1 0 0 ref_chr8.fa 6527777 F DD I get something like that in an output file: ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: matlavmac
13 Replies

3. HP-UX

How to delete specific pattern in a file with SED?

I have one file which is having content as following... 0513468211,,,,20091208,084005,5,,2,3699310, 0206554475,,,,20090327,123634,85,,2,15615533 0206554475,,,,20090327,134431,554,,2,7246177 0103000300,,,,20090523,115501,89,,2,3869929 0736454328,,,,20091208,084005,75,,2,3699546... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh.mandlik
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

locate a pattern and delete it using sed

if i have a file test and have a number(123)456-7899 how do i delete this without deleting all digits in the file. parentheses isn't necessary. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hobiwhenuknowme
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed pattern to delete lines containing a pattern, except the first occurance

Hello sed gurus. I am using ksh on Sun and have a file created by concatenating several other files. All files contain header rows. I just need to keep the first occurrence and remove all other header rows. header for file 1111 2222 3333 header for file 1111 2222 3333 header for file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gary_w
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete to eol after pattern with sed

working on interactive ftp script saving log and want to remove the password from log so "quote PASS foofoo" would become "quote PASS XXXXXXX" replacing or removing the password is of no matter have tried several sed commands but have only been successful with character matching not pattern ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppaprota
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete a pattern using sed.

I have a string in which i need to match a pattern and then i need to delete that line which contains that matching string. The string is .. This is the given string //abc/def/IC.5.4.3/test/... i need to match //abc I am writing like this sed '/^/\/\abc/d' but it is not giving me... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: codecatcher
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use sed to delete remainder of line after pattern

Greetings, I need some assistance here as I cannot get a sed line to work properly for me. I have the following list: Camp.S01E04.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION Royal.Pains.S05E07.720p.HDTV.x264-IMMERSE Whose.Line.is.it.Anyway.US.S09E05.720p.HDTV.x264-BAJSKORV What I would like to accomplish is to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: choard
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed. Delete line before and after pattern.

Hi. In need to delete line before and after pattern in file. I came to following commands. Delete line before sed -ni '/pattern/{x;d;};1h;1!{x;p;};${x;p;}' /etc/testfile Delete line after sed -i '/pattern/{N;s/\n.*//;}' /etc/testfile Is it possible to merge it in single command? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
3 Replies
erl_format(3erl)						C Library Functions						  erl_format(3erl)

NAME
erl_format - Create and Match Erlang Terms DESCRIPTION
This module contains two routines - one general function for creating Erlang terms and one for pattern matching Erlang terms. EXPORTS
ETERM * erl_format(FormatStr, ... ) Types char *FormatStr; This is a general function for creating Erlang terms using a format specifier and a corresponding set of arguments, much in the way printf() works. FormatStr is a format specification string. The set of valid format specifiers is as follows: * ~i - Integer * ~f - Floating point * ~a - Atom * ~s - String * ~w - Arbitrary Erlang term For each format specifier that appears in FormatStr , there must be a corresponding argument following FormatStr . An Erlang term is built according to the FormatStr with values and Erlang terms substituted from the corresponding arguments and according to the individual format specifiers. For example: erl_format("[{name,~a},{age,~i},{data,~w}]", "madonna", 21, erl_format("[{adr,~s,~i}]","E-street",42)); This will create an (ETERM *) structure corresponding to the Erlang term: [{name,madonna},{age,21},{data,[{adr,"E-street",42}]}] The function returns an Erlang term, or NULL if FormatStr does not describe a valid Erlang term. int erl_match(Pattern, Term) Types ETERM *Pattern,*Term; This function is used to perform pattern matching similar to that done in Erlang. Refer to an Erlang manual for matching rules and more examples. Pattern is an Erlang term, possibly containing unbound variables. Term is an Erlang term that we wish to match against Pattern . Term and Pattern are compared, and any unbound variables in Pattern are bound to corresponding values in Term . If Term and Pattern can be matched, the function returns a non-zero value and binds any unbound variables in Pattern . If Term Pat- tern do not match, the function returns 0. For example: ETERM *term, *pattern, *pattern2; term1 = erl_format("{14,21}"); term2 = erl_format("{19,19}"); pattern1 = erl_format("{A,B}"); pattern2 = erl_format("{F,F}"); if (erl_match(pattern1, term1)) { /* match succeeds: * A gets bound to 14, * B gets bound to 21 */ ... } if (erl_match(pattern2, term1)) { /* match fails because F cannot be * bound to two separate values, 14 and 21 */ ... } if (erl_match(pattern2, term2)) { /* match succeeds and F gets bound to 19 */ ... } erl_var_content() can be used to retrieve the content of any variables bound as a result of a call to erl_match() . Ericsson AB erl_interface 3.7.3 erl_format(3erl)