Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Directory vs. Folder?
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Directory vs. Folder? Post 302595758 by zxmaus on Saturday 4th of February 2012 09:00:49 PM
Old 02-04-2012
simply dir but I rarely have to do with users Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unique Directory and Folder Deletion Script

Ok, so I just got charged with the task of deleting some 300 user folders in a FTP server to free up some space. I managed to grep and cut the list of user folders to delete into a list of one user folder per line. Example: bob00 jane01 sue03 In the home folder, there are folders a-z, and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: b4sher
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace last 2 folder directory string with sed

Hi guys, I´m trying to replace the 2 last folders name in a list of directories with a new string, but I´m don´t know which regex to apply. Directories list: C/my user/documents/games & music C/my user/documents/photos 09-24-2008 C/my user/settings/config ?1_2 * The last folder may have... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to extract contents of ONLY one directory from ZIP folder.

I have a ZIP folder ( folder.zip or folder.jar ) which contains , lets say 3 directories under it ( directory1, directory2, directory3). How can i unzip the contents of directory2 ONLY ? I do not have to unzip the complete folder. TIA. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sheel
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a folder from a directory

Hi, I have a folder name XX and a directory N:. Now I want to find the folder on that directory and print the path. I tried with grep "XX" N: but also search for files named as XX, but I want to find onlt folder and print. please help me.. Thanks in advance (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: arup1980
12 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing directory starting from a particular folder

Hi there!:o I have a question if I have a directories ~/MyFolder/Files/PersonalFiles/databases/food/tomato ~/MyFolder/Files/PersonalFiles/databases/items/cup and I want my program to output food/tomato and items/cup, i.e. everything from the folder database but without... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: FUTURE_EINSTEIN
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete folder in a directory which are two months old

I need help. I have to create a script which will delete multiple directory (folders) that are two months old. Example, I have folders dated April, May, June and July. I have to delete folders April and May and retain June and July and as such that when the July month lapse, the folder June will be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasperux
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Under /etc/init.d directory there is no folder with name samba in Solaris 10

i want to restart samba service in solaris 1o installed on virtual machine but under under /etc/init.d directory there is no folder with name samba in solaris 10 how do i proceed ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rehantayyab82
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a folder under different user directory

Hello All, I have to write a shell script and use it in informatica. The script has to perform below actions: The script gets executed from edw user. Through the script, a DT folder has to be created under edw_sca user. Is this scenario possible through a SHELL script or not. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bghosh
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting for moving folder specific files into target directory of that country folder.

I need help to write shell script to copy files from one server to another server. Source Directory UAE(inside i have another folder Misc with files inside UAE folder).I have to copy this to another server UAE folder( Files should be copied to UAE folder and Misc files should be copied in target... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naresh2389
3 Replies
XDG-USER-DIRS-UPD(1)						   User Commands					      XDG-USER-DIRS-UPD(1)

NAME
xdg-user-dirs-update - Update XDG user dir configuration SYNOPSIS
xdg-user-dirs-update [OPTION...] [--set NAME PATH...] DESCRIPTION
xdg-user-dirs-update updates the current state of the users user-dirs.dir. If none existed before then one is created based on the system default values, or falling back to the old non-translated filenames if such directories exists. The list of old directories used are: ~/Desktop, ~/Templates and ~/Public. If an old configuration exists it is updated with any new default directories. Additionally, any configured directories that point to non-existing locations are reset by pointing then to the users home directory. This typically happens when the users removed the directory, so they likely don't want to use it anymore. On the first run a user-dirs.locale file is created containing the locale that was used for the translation. This is used later by gui tools like xdg-user-dirs-gtk-update to detect if the locale was changed, letting you to migrate from the old names. xdg-user-dirs-update is normally run automatically at the start of a user session to update the XDG user dirs according to the users locale. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: --help Print help output and exit. --force Update existing user-dirs.dir, but force a full reset. This means: Don't reset nonexisting directories to HOME, rather recreate the directory. Never use backwards compatible non-translated names. Always recreate user-dirs.locale. --dummy-output PATH Write the configuration to PATH instead of the default configuration file. Also, no directories are created. --set NAME PATH Sets the XDG user dir with the given name. NAME should be one of the following: DESKTOP DOWNLOAD TEMPLATES PUBLICSHARE DOCUMENTS MUSIC PICTURES VIDEOS PATH must be an absolute path, e.g. $HOME/Some/Directory. FILES
The XDG user dirs configuration is stored in the user-dirs.dir file in the location pointed to by the XDG_CONFIG_HOME environment variable. ENVIRONMENT
The XDG_CONFIG_HOME environment variable determines where the user-dirs.dirs file is located. SEE ALSO
xdg-user-dir(1), user-dirs.dirs(5), user-dirs.defaults(5), user-dirs.conf(5). XDG
XDG-USER-DIRS-UPD(1)