Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Crontab
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Crontab Post 302595718 by vbe on Saturday 4th of February 2012 11:16:01 AM
Old 02-04-2012
I never said your script... I said your job!
And the job you are to write is a shell script containing all the above information.
Why a special job script?
Because compared to the script you might execute in command line and run. In batch mode cron has no idea of your environment and so you are to set it, and take out anything interactive wise like keyboard or terminal setting to not have cron errors... And since you are not aside when execution, I am quite sure you would like to know how the job executed? so you will in your job script output to log files I always use two one for normal execution and one for errors...
etc...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab

Hi I have a shell script which works fine at the command line and does works in crontab also but does not send the output to mail as other scripts do by default. 10 1 * * * /export/home/test/report_script by default should send the output to mail but the script runs OK and the output... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about crontab

dear all , does any one now how can i become sure that the crontab that i put was working successfully not by looking for thr result of the sheduled task but from a log for the crontab or something similar and i need to check that the cron i wrote is correct 00 15 * * 0,1,2,3,6... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: habuzahra
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab

How can I run "crontab" (parameters) every 6 hours on solaris machine? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gen4ik
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with crontab

i have a ksh script that creates messages in a temp directory and then sends them out using the sendmail command and i'm trying to set it up to run every night with crontab. So the basic gist of the script is #create temp dir and messages ... #loop through each message and send using sendmail... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bob122480
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab

hi all how to schedule the crontab file in unix? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss4u
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Crontab

Hi All, I've a shell script which calls a Sybase stored procedure to do some functionality. I want to schedule the running of this script by crontab. I'm using Solaris 5.8. When i executed the following command crontab -l i got the output as crontab: can't open your crontab file How... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumesh.abraham
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Crontab help

hi, I run a .sh file using crontab. I need to know the path of the file . Previously when I run the file alone , i used "pwd" but now when using crontab it gives the temp directory of the file. Is there any way I can find the absolute path of the file when i execute it ? Regards, Ranga (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_W213
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help regarding crontab

Dear All jobs are scheduled in crontab . To view this I use crontab -l . But suddenly today I am not able to see any jobs that is being scheduled in crontab. when I type crontab -l , I am seeing nothing.I am not logging through admin user(i dont have it).But I can schedule jobs through... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tkbharani
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

crontab

I have a crontab entry,but it is not working. Can anybody help me in this regard?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sourav_Paul
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

at vs crontab

Hi, can someone explain the differences between using the at and crontab commands. When would you use one command over the other? TIA Dom (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: domburf69
1 Replies
nqs2pbs(1B)								PBS							       nqs2pbs(1B)

NAME
nqs2pbs - convert NQS job scripts to PBS SYNOPSIS
nqs2pbs nqs_script [pbs_script] DESCRIPTION
This utility converts a existing NQS job script to work with PBS and NQS. The existing script is copied and PBS directives, #PBS , are inserted prior to each NQS directive #QSUB or #@$ , in the original script. Certain NQS date specification and options are not supported by PBS. A warning message will be displayed indicating the problem and the line of the script on which it occurred. If any unrecognizable NQS directives are encountered, an error message is displayed. The new PBS script will be deleted if any errors occur. OPERANDS
nqs_script Specifies the file name of the NQS script to convert. This file is not changed. pbs_script If specified, it is the name of the new PBS script. If not specified, the new file name is nqs_script.new . NOTES
Converting NQS date specifications to the PBS form may result in a warning message and an incompleted converted date. PBS does not support date specifications of "today", "tomorrow", or the name of the days of the week such as "Monday". If any of these are encountered in a script, the PBS specification will contain only the time portion of the NQS specification, i.e. #PBS -a hhmm[.ss]. It is suggested that you specify the execution time on the qsub command line rather than in the script. Note that PBS will interpret a time specification without a date in the following way: - If the time specified has not yet been reached, the job will become eligible to run at that time today. - If the specified time has already passed when the job is submitted, the job will become eligible to run at that time tomorrow. PBS does not support time zone identifiers. All times are taken as local time. SEE ALSO
qsub(1B) Local nqs2pbs(1B)