Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX HP-UX revert from trusted system to default Post 302595461 by vbe on Friday 3rd of February 2012 08:11:44 AM
Old 02-03-2012
Be aware that on trusted systems, it will ask you to give the old passwd for all account even root's when you want to change it...
Some software ( even old ones...) are "trusted aware" and you risk to find yourself in the same situation: I am talking of installing the shadow package/patch... Some software not finding passwds in /etc/passwd look for the trusted database which doesn't exist if you are using shadow file... I had the case with HP su2 utility that compiled without any errors but was not working... and some issues with Reflection products...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Trusted system: Please Help.

I was playing with sam and i turned on the Trusted System feature (UX11i). Now i cant log onto it anymore, i can ping it, but icant telnet, rlogin or login at the login screen. I dont want to reboot my machine because i am affraid it wont boot and ask for a password. My root password is not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Netghost
1 Replies

2. Solaris

need zpool to revert...

hi i have created a pool using zpool command for my /dev/dsk/c1d0s3 disk. The poolname is qwertyuiopasdfghjklmnbvcxzzxcvbnmasdfghjklqwertyuiopoiuytrewqasdfghjklkjhgfdsazxcvbnmmnbnbcxczxzassd ddddvfhfghgjjgjhgkhkljfjlhohihiuyuioyguioyguiowyuiogwyuigwrigywuigyguiyuiogyugiyguioyuyguiowygiuygui... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SankarV
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

shadowed password file on non-trusted system?

Is it possible to have shadowed password file without implementing a Trusted System? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxdude
3 Replies

4. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Revert SVN import

Instead of importing a project/folder as svn import vlsms/ file:///home/repo/vlsms -m "Initial Upload" I did svn import vlsms/ file:///home/repo -m "Initial Upload" How to undo this import (in a clean way,without trace?) ---------- Post updated at 03:10 AM ---------- Previous update was at... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnbach
0 Replies

5. HP-UX

Enable telnet as root to 11.31 non-trusted system?

I have a new box that was set up for me and I want to allow telnet to the box as root. I know that it's not secure but due to the nature of what I test I need an easy and reliable way back in if I've messed up the other connection methods(SSH). This is in a protected lab environment. Eventually... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: gctaylor
17 Replies

6. Linux

Is it possible to revert a file after overwriting it ?

Long story short, there was some sort of corruption with my ide and the script I was working on has been over written with nothing (the file is blank now). The IDE doesn't store a back up from what I know (I'm using notepadd++ in wine lol I know I know I'm addictted to the nppftp sidebar and geany... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: noPermissions
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gmail revert to old look permanently

I thought I would share gmail revert to old look permanently. I am sure I am not the only one annoyed by the new look. Install Stylish extension Choose the Stylish UserStyle that you want. I know The Return of Old Gmail and gmail-b2b both work but I prefer gmail-b2b since I think it looks... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

CVS command to revert deleted files

Hi, I have deleted a file and commited in CVS. So, is there any CVS command to revert back that deleted file with existing log messages. --Thanks in advance Madhu (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhuti
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to revert default prompt in Linux after setting PS1 command

I have given as: PS1="Karthick>" in linux. Now the prompt changed as: Karthick> Now I need to get back the default prompt . How to achieve this? Thanks in advance (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthick nath
13 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Converting system to trusted

Hi, I need to convert few HP-UX (V 11.31) machines from un-trusted to trusted. I used the HP SMH to do this on one server. However when I click on "Yes" to proceed with the conversion, I get this error : The attempt to convert this system to a trusted system failed. The command return value... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
2 Replies
pwconv(1M)                                                System Administration Commands                                                pwconv(1M)

NAME
pwconv - installs and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd SYNOPSIS
pwconv DESCRIPTION
The pwconv command creates and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. pwconv relies on a special value of 'x' in the password field of /etc/passwd. This value of 'x' indicates that the password for the user is already in /etc/shadow and should not be modified. If the /etc/shadow file does not exist, this command will create /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. The command populates /etc/shadow with the user's login name, password, and password aging information. If password aging information does not exist in /etc/passwd for a given user, none will be added to /etc/shadow. However, the last changed information will always be updated. If the /etc/shadow file does exist, the following tasks will be performed: Entries that are in the /etc/passwd file and not in the /etc/shadow file will be added to the /etc/shadow file. Entries that are in the /etc/shadow file and not in the /etc/passwd file will be removed from /etc/shadow. Password attributes (for example, password and aging information) that exist in an /etc/passwd entry will be moved to the corre- sponding entry in /etc/shadow. The pwconv command can only be used by the super-user. FILES
/etc/opasswd /etc/oshadow /etc/passwd /etc/shadow ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
passwd(1), passmgmt(1M), usermod(1M), passwd(4), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
pwconv exits with one of the following values: 0 SUCCESS. 1 Permission denied. 2 Invalid command syntax. 3 Unexpected failure. Conversion not done. 4 Unexpected failure. Password file(s) missing. 5 Password file(s) busy. Try again later. 6 Bad entry in /etc/shadow file. SunOS 5.10 9 Mar 1993 pwconv(1M)