Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ignore case in awk while pattern searching Post 302595426 by arukuku on Friday 3rd of February 2012 05:35:42 AM
Old 02-03-2012
Ignore case in awk while pattern searching

Hi ,

I have the file where i have to search for the pattern. The pattern may be lower case or upper case or camel case. Basically I want to ignore while searching the pattern in awk.
Code:
awk '/error|warning/exception/' filename

Please help me

Last edited by Franklin52; 02-03-2012 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags for data and code samples, thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore Case in Shell

Hi New to this Unix dot com. I would like to know how i can ignore the case in filename which is getting as user directoty to shell script. For Ex: Source (/aa/bb/patch/) Directory may contains more than 1 files as like 1. aa.csv or Aa.csv or AA.csv or aa.CSV 2. bb.csv 3. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AAH
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore case sensitive in Case Switch

In a Case switch, how to ignore case sensitive in the test: e.g. case "$field" in "TEST) action1;; *) action2;; esac How to go in action1 in case of $field = TEST , or Test , or test or .... without enumerating all possibilities... Thanks,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: annelisa
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I ignore one character in a case statement? PLEASE HELP!

Hello, I am new to this forums. I need help with shell, and ksh in particular. I have a case statement that does something if -k. So it looks like: case $arg in -k) PUT=y, SEND=1 Thats all good and dandy. But now I want to change it where whether or not the user puts -k or not, it will do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpunisher
2 Replies

4. Programming

Ignore case in a test?

How do I ignore the case in an if condition..? EDIT: I put this in the wrong board...this is a linux script. if then echo "Same name." else echo "Different name." fi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bandit390
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk help needed for display particular field alone for searching pattern

Hi, I have a requirement for taking an particular number in a log file. if i grep for the particular string it will retrieve the entire line for the particular string. but i want to display only the string from each line which i am searching for, Note: The searching field varies its position... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthilkumar_ak
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to ignore case

Hi All, The means I use to ignore case, as an example is the following snippet: It should accept any oof the following y|Y|YES|Yes|n|N|NO|No echo "Enter Y/N to continue: " read choice; (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghur77
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To ignore user input case.

hi, i will like to know whether awk command can ignore case? i written a script that will take in user input and search for data on the 1st field from a text file. echo -n "Title:" read title awk -F":" '$1~/'"$title"'/{print $0}' Filename read ans return ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cheranime
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there a way to ignore CAPS or case sensitivity?

If I'm using a program that is expecting certain filenames and directories to be all CAPS, isn't there a way to ignore this in linux/cshell scripting? I.e., similiar to ignoring spaces with " (i.e., directory is directory 1, can ignore by typing "directory 1".) ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rebazon
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching and printing the only pattern using awk,sed or perl

Hi All, i have an output of command vmstat as below : $ vmstat System configuration: lcpu=4 mem=5376MB ent=1.00 kthr memory page faults cpu ----- ----------- ------------------------ ------------ ----------------------- r b avm fre re pi... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for pattern in variable using case statements

i would like to search a variable for a pattern, without having make any calls to external tools. i have a code like this: COUNTPRO2="gine is very bad vine is pretty good" case "${COUNTPRO2}" in *vine*) factor=${COUNTPRO2} echo $factor ;; esac If the variable contains... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies
Tcl_StringMatch(3)					      Tcl Library Procedures						Tcl_StringMatch(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_StringMatch, Tcl_StringCaseMatch - test whether a string matches a pattern SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> int Tcl_StringMatch(str, pattern) int Tcl_StringCaseMatch(str, pattern, flags) ARGUMENTS
const char *str (in) String to test. const char *pattern (in) Pattern to match against string. May contain special characters from the set *?[]. int flags (in) OR-ed combination of match flags, currently only TCL_MATCH_NOCASE. 0 specifies a case-sensitive search. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This utility procedure determines whether a string matches a given pattern. If it does, then Tcl_StringMatch returns 1. Otherwise Tcl_StringMatch returns 0. The algorithm used for matching is the same algorithm used in the string match Tcl command and is similar to the algorithm used by the C-shell for file name matching; see the Tcl manual entry for details. In Tcl_StringCaseMatch, the algorithm is the same, but you have the option to make the matching case-insensitive. If you choose this (by passing TCL_MATCH_NOCASE), then the string and pattern are essentially matched in the lower case. KEYWORDS
match, pattern, string Tcl 8.5 Tcl_StringMatch(3)