Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell to remove a newline char from selected rows in a file. Post 302595317 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 2nd of February 2012 05:30:04 PM
Old 02-02-2012
Hi, what have you tried so far?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace any char with newline char.

Hi, How to replace any character in a file with a newline character using sed .. Ex: To replace ',' with newline Input: abcd,efgh,ijkl,mnop Output: abcd efgh ijkl mnop Thnx in advance. Regards, Sasidhar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mightysam
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to print only selected char in a string..?

Hi, I want to print particular chars in a string. for example ie., consider " dear,. roopa$#09%~`';']" as the example string. Here, I want to print only alphanumeric chars.. suppose , if i want only alphanumeric... value would be "dear roopa09" suppose , if i want some spl char(,) with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balan_mca
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

To remove the newline character while appending into a file

Hi All, We append the output of a file's size in a file. But a newline character is appended after the variable. Pls help how to clear this. filesize=`ls -l test.txt | awk `{print $5}'` echo File size of test.txt is $filesize bytes >> logfile.txt The output we got is, File size of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amio
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED: Place char at starting and replace selected line

Hello Experts, I am working on a small file editing script. Since all experts here are very generous to give me the complete code, I would take up the problem in steps so that I ensure my opportunity to learn. AIM: The script has some commented and some uncommented lines. I need to : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkansal
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove newline chars in each record of file

Hi, I have a fixed width file with record length 10. I need to remove multiple newline characters present in each record. EX: af\n72/7\n s\n3\nad\n 2\n\n33r\n In the above file I want to remove new lines in red color(\n) but not (\n) Please provide me a solution. Thanks, Sri (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srilaxmi
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help substituting text in a file having a single line but no newline char

Hello, Need help substituting a particular word in a file having a single line but no newline character at the end. I was trying to use sed but it doesn't work probably because there is no newline char at the end of the line. $ cat hlq_detail /outputs/alvan23/PDFs/bills $ cat... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shan_u2005
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove a newline char from selected rows.

Greetings! Can we automate the process of removing a newline char from selected rows in a fixed width file using a shell? Input is like abcd1234 xyzd1234 abcd a1b2c3d4 abcd1234 xyzd1234 xx abcd1234 Expected output - abcd1234xyzd1234 abcda1b2c3d4abcd1234xyzd1234 xxabcd1234 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailme0205
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove newline char from variable

I have a file ABC.DAT with 2 columns avaialble Data format : XYZ!$#$!120 XXZ!$#$!1000 YYZ!$#$!104 While running the following code : FILE_COUNTER=1; RECORD_CN_FILE_COUNT=$((`wc -l ABC.DAT| cut -f1 -d' '`)); while do FILE_NAME=`cat ABC.DAT.DAT| head -$FILE_COUNTER |tail -1 | awk -F... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nikhil Gautam
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace the unexpected newline char with space in a Fixed width file

Input eg: Ouput Expected. The #rd line had the unexpted new line, which need to be replaced with space. I was planing to go with checking the length of each line using awk and if the length is less than the defeined limit, (12 in above case) will replace the newline with space. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
5 Replies
pfspad(1)						      General Commands Manual							 pfspad(1)

NAME
pfspad - Add borders to a frame in PFS stream SYNOPSIS
pfspad [--left <columns>] [--right <columns>] [--top <rows>] [--bottom <rows>] [--width <new_width>] [--height <new_height>] [--R <val>] [--G <val>] [--B <val>] [--Y <val>] [--help] DESCRIPTION
Add borders to each frame in PFS stream. User specifies size of left, right, top and bottom border or size of an output image. Color of borders can be specified as well. OPTIONS
--left <columns>, -l <columns> Width in pixels of the left border. --right <columns>, -r <columns> Width in pixels of the right border. --top <rows>, -t <rows> Height in pixels of the top border. --bottom <rows>, -b <rows> Height in pixels of the bottom border. --width <new_width>, -W <new_width> Width of an output image. Note that --width can be mixed with either --left or --right option. --height <new_height>, -H <new_height> Height of an output image. Note that --height can be mixed with either --top or --bottom option. --R <val>, -R <val>, --G <val>, -G <val>, --B <val>, -B <val> Color of borders in RGB mode. Default color is black, and if some of the components is not specified, its value is set to 0.0. --Y <val>, -Y <val> Color of borders in luminance mode. --help, -h Print a list of commandline options. EXAMPLES
pfsin image.hdr | pfspad --left 50 --bottom 20 | pfsout out.hdr Add 50 columns to the left and 20 rows to the bottom side of image.hdr. Color of borders is default black. pfsin image.hdr | pfspad --top 20 --height 500 --width 400 --R 1.0 | pfsout out.hdr Add 20 rows to the top side of image.hdr and create output image out.hdr 500 pixels in height and 400 pixels in width. Color of bor- ders is set to red. SEE ALSO
pfsin(1) pfsout(1) BUGS
Please report bugs and comments to Dorota Zdrojewska <dzdrojewska@wi.ps.pl>. pfspad(1)