Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Remove a newline char from selected rows. Post 302595311 by mailme0205 on Thursday 2nd of February 2012 05:14:54 PM
Old 02-02-2012
Remove a newline char from selected rows.

Greetings!

Can we automate the process of removing a newline char from selected rows in a fixed width file using a shell?
Input is like
Code:
abcd1234
xyzd1234
abcd
a1b2c3d4
abcd1234
xyzd1234
xx
abcd1234

Expected output -
Code:
abcd1234xyzd1234
abcda1b2c3d4abcd1234xyzd1234
xxabcd1234

Note - its like if in above case no of characters in a line -eq 9 (including new line char) remove newline char else not.

Appreciate your help!

Last edited by Franklin52; 02-03-2012 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags for data and code samples, thank you

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

print selected rows with awk

Hi everybody: Could anybody tell me how I can print from a file a selected rows with awk. In my case I only want print in another file all the rows from NR=8 to NR=2459 and the increment each 8 times. I tried to this: awk '{for (i=8; i=2459; i+=8); NR==i}' file1 > file2 But doesn't... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonet
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace any char with newline char.

Hi, How to replace any character in a file with a newline character using sed .. Ex: To replace ',' with newline Input: abcd,efgh,ijkl,mnop Output: abcd efgh ijkl mnop Thnx in advance. Regards, Sasidhar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mightysam
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to print only selected char in a string..?

Hi, I want to print particular chars in a string. for example ie., consider " dear,. roopa$#09%~`';']" as the example string. Here, I want to print only alphanumeric chars.. suppose , if i want only alphanumeric... value would be "dear roopa09" suppose , if i want some spl char(,) with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balan_mca
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a variable based on newline char

Heeloo all, A weird problem perhaps. May god save others from this problem. I want to print each line from a variable.. the example below should make it clear. smvar="Hello World1 Hello world 2 forgot there I guess" for eachline in $smvar echo $eachline end Whats for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pavanlimo
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED: Place char at starting and replace selected line

Hello Experts, I am working on a small file editing script. Since all experts here are very generous to give me the complete code, I would take up the problem in steps so that I ensure my opportunity to learn. AIM: The script has some commented and some uncommented lines. I need to : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkansal
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help substituting text in a file having a single line but no newline char

Hello, Need help substituting a particular word in a file having a single line but no newline character at the end. I was trying to use sed but it doesn't work probably because there is no newline char at the end of the line. $ cat hlq_detail /outputs/alvan23/PDFs/bills $ cat... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shan_u2005
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell to remove a newline char from selected rows in a file.

Greetings! Can we automate the process of removing a newline char from selected rows in a fixed width file using a shell? Input is like abcd1234 xyzd1234 abcd a1b2c3d4 abcd1234 xyzd1234 xx abcd1234 Expected output - abcd1234xyzd1234 abcda1b2c3d4abcd1234xyzd1234 xxabcd1234 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailme0205
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To extract selected rows

Hi, I have two files Input1.txt and Input2.txt and i need to have a output with selected lines starting with the values present in Input2.txt. For example: Input1.txt:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhas
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove newline char from variable

I have a file ABC.DAT with 2 columns avaialble Data format : XYZ!$#$!120 XXZ!$#$!1000 YYZ!$#$!104 While running the following code : FILE_COUNTER=1; RECORD_CN_FILE_COUNT=$((`wc -l ABC.DAT| cut -f1 -d' '`)); while do FILE_NAME=`cat ABC.DAT.DAT| head -$FILE_COUNTER |tail -1 | awk -F... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nikhil Gautam
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)