Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: recursive search and copy
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting recursive search and copy Post 302595126 by itkamaraj on Thursday 2nd of February 2012 06:53:12 AM
Old 02-02-2012
something like this ?

it will change the filename to filename.new

Code:

find . -type f -name "filename*" | while read f; do cp $f $f.new; done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

recursive copy of hidden files

I need to know how to copy hidden files recursively? cp -r sourceDir/* targetDir/. ignores the hidden files. Thank you!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: usfrog
2 Replies

2. Programming

recursive copy of the directory

I want to copy a directory recursively ( it again has directories) and the directory is on windows and is nfsmounted in vxWorks, i am using unix to develop the code for this, can any one suggest me how to copy the directories recursively. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepthi.s
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recursive copy to a RANDOM name

Dear Group, after trying numerous suggestions and racking my brain I cannot manage something which seems so simple. Essentiallly, I would like to perform a recursive copy to a destination but give it a random name. I assumed (incorrectly) that the following would work: cp -r... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: xerexes
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with recursive copy command

Hi Guys, I am experiencing a problem right now while copying a directory as well as its subdirectories to my target directory. I know this is a very simple UNIX command using cp -R source directory target directory. but unfortunatley while doing this an error comes up on the command line saying... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Knowledge_Xfer
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

scp : recursive copy doesn't work

Hi I have a problem with scp command : I try to copy a list of files from source to destination, it works fine but if there is a directory not existing on destination, it doesn't automatic create. Syntax : scp -rp /<PATH>/<NEW_DIR>/<FILE> <USER_DEST>@<HOST_DEST>:<PATH>/<NEW_DIR>/<FILE>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Recursive search for filenames containing ..

Hi all, Since my gopher server doesn't like filenames containing 2 or more consecutive dots in a filename, I'd like to do a search for them and replace them with... well, let's say underscores... I've tried a oneliner or 2 from other posts, but they don't seem to work well with locating dots.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Evert
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recursive copy into a directory and all its subdirectories...

I want to copy a file from the top directory into all the sub-folders and all of the sub-folders of those sub-folder etc. Does anyone have any idea how to do this? Thanks in advance of any help you can give. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: EinsteinMcfly
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive search for files and copy to new directories

So I have extremely limited experience with shell scripting and I was hoping someone could point out a few commands I need to use in order to pull this off with a shell script like BASH or whatnot (this is on OS X). I need to search out for filenames with account numbers in the name itself... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flyawaymike
3 Replies

9. HP-UX

Recursive copy of Folders with files

Dear All, I will appreciate any help received. Our system is running on hpux v1 My problem is as follows: We have many customer folders with name fd000100, fd000101 and so on e.g. (Testrun)(testsqa):/>ll /TESTrun/fd000100 total 48 drwxrwx--- 2 fq000100 test 96 Jun 27 2004... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhbd
17 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Search recursive

before posting, I have tried to find my answer elsewhere. no luck. I need to find a file buried in a folder somewhere. Master folder has 10 sub folders. each sub folder has folders too. I found this but it does nothing I am on Mac and use Applescript. do shell script "find... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbrady
2 Replies
SOELIM(1)						      General Commands Manual							 SOELIM(1)

NAME
soelim - interpret .so requests in groff input SYNOPSIS
soelim [ -Cv ] [ -Idir ] [ files... ] It is possible to have whitespace between the -I command line option and its parameter. DESCRIPTION
soelim reads files and replaces lines of the form .so file by the contents of file. It is useful if files included with so need to be preprocessed. Normally, soelim should be invoked with the -s option of groff. Note that there must be no whitespace between the leading dot and the two characters `s' and `o'. Otherwise, only groff interprets the .so request (and soelim ignores it). OPTIONS
-C Recognize .so even when followed by a character other than space or newline. -Idir This option may be used to specify a directory to search for files (both those on the command line and those named in .so lines). The current directory is always searched first. This option may be specified more than once, the directories will be searched in the order specified. No directory search is performed for files specified using an absolute path. -v Print the version number. SEE ALSO
groff(1) Groff Version 1.18.1 27 June 2001 SOELIM(1)