Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers kcore and a live persistent linux usb distro Post 302595101 by anno on Thursday 2nd of February 2012 05:57:57 AM
Old 02-02-2012
kcore and a live persistent linux usb distro

I have 2 computers, from now on i shall call these computers A and B.

Made a live linux distro (bodhi) on A which has 1GB internal memory , because windows is unstable on B, which has 512MB internal memory.

I mean with memory the internal memory of the computer, not the memory of the usb stick!

When i take this live usb distro out of A and put it into B and started it up, i noticed the following: /proc/kcore is 1016MB.

The question is:
Can this lead to problems when linux "thinks" i have 1016MB of internal memory when this is in fact 512MB?

And is more information extracted from computer A, like info from the graphics card, etc?

Thanx in advance.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Live Unix Distro Help...

Hello, I was just looking for some help on Unix distros that don't affect my hard disk. Basically what I am looking for is a distro that has all your programming needs (so I can program in Unix) and the basic functions of an OS. I would also like it to include python if possible. BTW, is it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vhab
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mounting a USB device with a persistent name

When I attach a USB storage device to my Solaris server, the mount point is coming up as /rmdisk/unnamed_rmdisk Is there anyway I can have this device come up as a mounted device with a predetermined mount name eg /morespace rather than unnamed_rmdisk ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

From Knoppix Live-USB to Old-school CLI Debian Linux.

Alright. Here we go... The other day, I was referred to this neat little command-line Unix simulator called Cygwin. To put it lightly, I fell in love. I found Knoppix, and from what I can tell, it's a viable OS once I strip off the KDE desktop environment to make it 'old-school'. I'm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev_squid
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Customizing Terminal in Live Linux Distro

I'm creating a python script to load a configuration to gnome-terminal immediately after a Live Boot. I must run it in super-user mode, because I shut down some services first. After this, I want to configure gnome-terminal. The problem is that if I run it as super-user, it successfully shuts... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: misfitplanet
0 Replies

5. Linux

Kexec with Live USB/CD

Hello Recently I found this (for me) really usefull tool kexec which can load a new Kernel while running one. I tested it some times with the same kernel I was running, "rebooting" the system without powering it off at any time :D But I need kexec basically just for live usbs. I want to start... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: al0x
17 Replies

6. Linux

Looking for a very leightweight Live-CD Distro

Hey, weird story, dunno if this is actually possible, but here's what happened: My dad's PC (Windows) is completely full of trash, the hard drive is completely full. After the last Windows update he wasn't able to boot anymore, even from a WindowsCD it didn't seem to work. That's at least what... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: disaster
7 Replies

7. BSD

Freebsd live usb

Hello. I'm going to make freebsd live usb based on FreeBSD-8.3-RELEASE-i386-livefs.iso. The iso is 257 Megabytes, but after i copy its content to usb drive its volume increases to 971 Megabytes. I tried different methods of copying (tar,cp,cpio) but with the same result. Could anyone help? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
0 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Intriguing Live Distro Sum Changes . . .

Greetings! Here's something which I came across whilst mucking about with a UNetbootin thumbdrive install of 12.04 (I suspect this would apply to other variants as well). Here's the scenario: As an experiment before burning to flash, I generated a comprehensive md5sums.txt for the entirety... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LinQ
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 11 install via live usb

Hello All, I am attempting to boot and install Solaris 11 via live USB on a HP DL580 Gen9 Server. Unfortunately, when I do this it boots into System Maintenance Mode. The attachment (Pic1) shows what I am seeing via the console. The BIOS is in UEFI boot. Does not work on legacy mode as I... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kerbi
15 Replies
mem(7D) 							      Devices								   mem(7D)

NAME
mem, kmem, allkmem - physical or virtual memory access SYNOPSIS
/dev/mem /dev/kmem /dev/allkmem DESCRIPTION
The file /dev/mem is a special file that provides access to the physical memory of the computer. The file /dev/kmem is a special file that provides access to the virtual address space of the operating system kernel, excluding memory that is associated with an I/O device. The file /dev/allkmem is a special file that provides access to the virtual address space of the operating system kernel, including memory that is associated with an I/O device. You can use any of these devices to examine and modify the system. Byte addresses in /dev/mem are interpreted as physical memory addresses. Byte addresses in /dev/kmem and /dev/allkmem are interpreted as kernel virtual memory addresses. A reference to a non-existent location returns an error. See ERRORS for more information. The file /dev/mem accesses physical memory; the size of the file is equal to the amount of physical memory in the computer. This size may be larger than 4GB on a system running the 32-bit operating environment. In this case, you can access memory beyond 4GB using a series of read(2) and write(2) calls, a pread64() or pwrite64() call, or a combination of llseek(2) and read(2) or write(2). ERRORS
EFAULT Occurs when trying to write(2) a read-only location (allkmem), read(2) a write-only location (allkmem), or read(2) or write(2) a non-existent or unimplemented location (mem, kmem, allkmem). EIO Occurs when trying to read(2) or write(2) a memory location that is associated with an I/O device using the /dev/kmem special file. ENXIO Results from attempting to mmap(2) a non-existent physical (mem) or virtual (kmem, allkmem) memory address. FILES
/dev/mem Provides access to the computer's physical memory. /dev/kmem Provides access to the virtual address space of the operating system kernel, excluding memory that is associated with an I/O device. /dev/allkmem Provides access to the virtual address space of the operating system kernel, including memory that is associated with an I/O device. SEE ALSO
llseek(2), mmap(2), read(2), write(2) WARNINGS
Using these devices to modify (that is, write to) the address space of a live running operating system or to modify the state of a hardware device is extremely dangerous and may result in a system panic if kernel data structures are damaged or if device state is changed. SunOS 5.11 18 Feb 2002 mem(7D)