Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting multiple while loops in expect script Post 302594965 by cic on Wednesday 1st of February 2012 04:11:30 PM
Old 02-01-2012
multiple while loops in expect script

Hi,

I am trying to incorporate multiple while loops into an expect script written in ksh shell. This is on a Solaris 10 system. Here is the code:

Code:
#!/bin/ksh
  EXPECT=/usr/local/bin/expect
  exp_internal

i=1
  h=0
  while [[ $i -le 9 && $h -le 23 ]]; do

$EXPECT << DONE
  set stty_init raw

spawn database_connect
  expect ">"
  send "insert into DB1 \(account, sum, DATETIME_
  ID\) values (\'BG0$i\', 100, \'2012-02-01 0$h:30:00\'\)\r"
  expect eof
  close $fp
  DONE
  ((i+=1))
  ((h+=1))
  done

So far the script loops with the 9 values for variable $i as desired.
However, not all values in range are looped for $h.
The while for $i runs to completion and increments $h with each iteration
Here is output of script so far:

./db.ksh[3]: exp_internal: not found
spawn database_connect
(db)> insert into DB1 (account, sum, DATETIME_ID) values ('BG01', 100, '2012-02-01 00:30:00')^M1 row(s) inserted
Execution time: 2.852 seconds

(db)> spawn database_connect

(db)> insert into DB1 (account, sum, DATETIME_ID) values ('BG02', 100, '2012-02-01 01:30:00')
:
:

I would like all instances of variable $h to be applied to $i while first loop runs:
BG01 - 00:30
BG01 - 01:30
BG01 - 23:30
:
:
BG09 - 23:30

Any ideas on where I can improve my while loops to accomplish?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loops with multiple variables

Hi script gurus. I have need to know how to use for loop with multiple variable. Basically lets take for example /etc/passwd file has following entries The above cat command will basically first greps the real users that have email addresses then converts ':' to '+' then using cut... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcguy
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect While Loops - Partial Automation?

I've been reading the O'Reilley expect book and I'm trying to create partial automation for common questions asked on screen in a telnet session and return to interact so the user can resume control. For example while {1} { expect { -re "What color is the sky?" {send... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlarivie
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script - going in loops can't stop

Hi First of all I tried lot of forums to create my first expect script. But I am totally stumped at the last step. I am no Linux Admin or ever trained in Linux. I just tried to create the script logically History : I need to to change my password across lot of servers in Linux over ssh ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: radioactive9
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with multiple loops in shell script

Hi Guys- I'm trying to write a script which takes date as input (mm.yy.dd) and search in the current file. If pattern doesn't exist it will then look in a backup directory and so on. being a newb i'm unable to loop over to the backup directory. hoping for some ideas, i've highlighted the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Irishboy24
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

While Loops Multiple File

Guru, I try to make a loop of 2 files, Input File1.txt: 1 2 File2.txt: A B C A, B and C is a file name, inside A X Y Z Expected Output A.1 X (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guns
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help With Expect Script IF with Multiple Conditions

I am needing to include some if statements within an expect script. These will need to have two conditions under an AND join. Upon a successful IF condition I want to set multiple variables. I have tried a lot of variations of the below statement with no success. I have also searched the WEB... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Slagathor
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

korn shell for loops with expect issue

Hi I have the following Korn script having multiple for loops. #!/bin/ksh EXPECT=/usr/local/bin/expect exp_internal for d in 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 i22 23 24 25 26; do for i in 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 ; do for h in 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cic
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with multiple for loops

All, I have set up ssh trust between 3 machines. The aim is to connect from machine-A to B and C and clear the txt files in tmp on all 3 machines. And, I have 3 environments and each environment has 2 hosts. So I should be able to run this script on any environment. Here is the logic: I want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pnara2
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh to multiple hosts and then run multiple for loops under remote session

Hello, I am trying to login to multiple servers and i have to run multiple loops to gather some details..Could you please help me out. I am specifically facing issues while running for loops. I have to run multiple for loops in else condition. but the below code is giving errors in for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohit_vardhani
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple expect/send statements not working in shell script

Hi I am trying the following in my bash script which logs into my machine and runs a command. Trying to solve this using expect. The first expect statement is hit and it enters the address "10.10.0.10" but when the second expect statement is hit it exits #!/bin/bash expect -c ' spawn... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skorada
2 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)