Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Compiling fails due to space in path to home folder Post 302594834 by Corona688 on Wednesday 1st of February 2012 10:25:11 AM
Old 02-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdgrant1
I thought it might have something to do with that so I tried quoting it with the same results, however I used single quotes instead of double so maybe that caused it to fail.
Nothing expands inside single quotes.
Quote:
Is there any way to get around this without quoting the variable?
No.
Quote:
The problem is when compiling software, which must be using unquoted environment variables.
Why must they be unquoted? The quotes go away -- they don't bother the program they're being fed into.

Why not show exactly what you're doing, and exactly what the problem is?

A symlink might work, if you have sufficient permissions to make it.
Code:
ln -s "/path/to/long name" "/path/to/shortname"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Unable to dump due to limited space?

After rebuilding the RAIDs on the SCO Unix, the following dialog appears when rebooting the machine. Fssat: /dev/boot mounted Mounted /stand filesystem Fsstat: /dev/usr1 okay Mounted /usr1 filesystem (continues usr2, usr3, Fsstat: /dev/usr4 okay Panic: HTFS: Bad directory ino... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mac Tire
2 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

How can I upload a zip folder on a unix path from my windows folder?

Hello, I am an amature at UNIX commands and functionality. Please could you all assist me by replying to my below mentioned querry : How can I upload a zip folder on a unix path from my windows folder? Thanks guys Cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajit.yadav83
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compiling all modified Java files in a folder on Unix

Hi all, I have a Unix script that will compile all Java files in a sub folder as follows: find . -name "*.java" -print -exec $JAVA_HOME/bin/javac -cp .:$CLASSPATH '{}' \; I would like to enhance it to only compile those Java files who: 1.) Have no class file 2.) Have a class file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Annorax
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compiling DigSig fails: Compiler/Makefile output

Hey, I'm trying to install DigSig ( disec.sourceforge.net ) on my CentOS5 distro. I was following all the steps in the readme but it didn't work. So here's the output: # ./digsig.init compile make: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-194.32.1.el5-i686' CC ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: disaster
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

Unable to free space due to inode in use by database

Hi, I am having similar issue showing filesystem 100% even after deleting the files. I understood the issue after going through this chain. But i can not restart the processes being oracle database. Is there way like mounting filesytem with specific options would avoid happening this issue. How... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant185
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command fails when a space is in the directory path variable

I have a script like this running under OS X 10.8. The problem arises when the find command encounters a space in the path name. I need the "dir" variable as I'll be extending the script to more general use. #!/bin/bash CFS=$IFS IFS=$(echo) set dir = "/Users/apta/Library/Mail\... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: apta
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Record length check fails due to '\' character

When I check the length for the records in the file, it does not give me the correct value. I used wc -l command. Example records: abcdefghij abcd\efghij abcdefghi Expected output is: 10 11 9 But the output returned is 10 10 9 Please help me on this issue. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amrutha24
10 Replies

8. BSD

Compiling BOINC/Seti@Home for OpenBSD 5.3 Sparc64

I used to use x86 Linux clients for this years ago, but ceased all activity until last night. I have resurrected an old Sun Blade 100, which used to run Solaris 9, when I first owned it, in the 2003 period, but now is very much alive with 2 gig of new ram, and and extra 10 gig of drive space... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RichardET
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files from Space Folder to other folder

I want to move a folder with spaces from one folder to another. I have two folders like this, 1).RT_032-222 -4444-01/ 2). RT_032-555 -7777-01/ I want to move files from 2 to 1 through shell script.Here I want to assign this like a user defined variable like as Source branch... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kannansoft1985
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh fails due to argument position.

I have a constraint to follow organization policy. So i do not have much liberty. ssh -i /opt/nonprod user1@hostone -t bash works while ssh -i /opt/nonprod -t bash user1@hostone fails How can I get this to work when I am enforced to put -t bash before the user@hostname ? Will share debug... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies
volmgt_ownspath(3VOLMGT)				Volume Management Library Functions				  volmgt_ownspath(3VOLMGT)

NAME
volmgt_ownspath - check Volume Management name space for path SYNOPSIS
cc [flag]... file... -lvolgmt [library]... #include <volmgt.h> int volmgt_ownspath(char *path); PARAMETERS
path A string containing the path. DESCRIPTION
The volmgt_ownspath() function checks to see if a given path is contained in the Volume Management name space. This is achieved by compar- ing the beginning of the supplied path name with the output from volmgt_root(3VOLMGT) RETURN VALUES
The volgmt_ownspath() function returns a non-zero value if path is owned by Volume Management. It returns 0 if path is not in its name space or Volume Management is not running. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using volmgt_ownspath() The following example first checks if Volume Management is running, then checks the Volume Management name space for path, and then returns the id for the piece of media. char *path; ... if (volmgt_running()) { if (volmgt_ownspath(path)) { (void) printf("id of %s is %lld ", path, media_getid(path)); } } ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT Level |Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Commitment Level |Public | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
volmgt_root(3VOLMGT), volmgt_running(3VOLMGT), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 21 Apr 1998 volmgt_ownspath(3VOLMGT)