Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to cut a string from a variable Post 302594831 by Corona688 on Wednesday 1st of February 2012 10:19:28 AM
Old 02-01-2012
What is your input? What is the output you want? In what way is it "not working"?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to cut a string from a variable

Hello All, I have a string type variable called "FULLSTR". This variable has a value of "path=/type/source/logs". I need to cut the characters after the character "=" to end of the string. Example: the new variable "MATCHSTR" should have value like this... "/type/source/logs" So... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kjaisan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read string, check string length and cut

Hello All, Plz help me with: I have a csv file with data separated by ',' and optionally enclosed by "". I want to check each of these values to see if they exceed the specified string length, and if they do I want to cut just that value to the max length allowed and keep the csv format as it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozzy80
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut through variable

hi, can some one put more light. i want to perform cut operation on a variable, but i am not able to do so as the variable contain special character. e.g var="adc|cfr\\df|{dff}|df}}" command : var1=`cut -c10-12 $var` i gives error. Thanks in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyz123
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut string from a line into a variable

Hi, I am working on a ksh script and I´m stuck on the following: I have to get the pthread_id from a procstack file for a particular tid#. ---------- tid# 1274057 (pthread ID: 1800) ---------- ---------- tid# 1736913 (pthread ID: 4019) ---------- ---------- tid# 1478705 (pthread ID: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmf33uk
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut last 7 characters of a variable

I need to cut the last seven characters of a variable length variable. The variable may be 7 characters or 70. I need to always be able to grab the last 7 characters. I looked at the cut command but it always seems to want to start at the beginning of a line, not the end and count backwards. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kblawson14
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut a string from a variable

hello, i need to cut a string in unix but not from file ,, from variable, i searched on special line , and i need a specific data from this line , i get it on variable, how can i cut data that i need ??? merci (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reham.Donia
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut the string

Hi in a directory i've files having the following name for_category_info_19990101984301 for_catgry_meta_19991111214601 ------- I just want the name till year and month i.e; for_category_info_199901 for_catgry_meta_199911 How can i achieve the above string Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut the string

---------- Post updated at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:28 AM ---------- Hello, I am trying to get the string cut based on the following needs: String1=Submitted request 25574824 for CONCURRENT SQLAP RUAPACTUALSEXT Y RUAPACTUALS122313100616.dat "2013/01/12 14:50:44"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cartrider
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign value to variable using cut?

Hey guys. Below is the command I am using to assign "yellow" to the variable yellow. I can seem to echo it out using xargs but when I assign it to yellow and then try to echo it out it prints a blank line. Below is the command. Your help is highly appreciated! cut -c 2- color.txt |... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: eldan88
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Check if string variable is a subset of another string variable

Below is my ksh shell script where I need to check if variable fileprops is a subset of $1 argument. echo "FILE PROPERTY: $fileprops" echo "PARAMETER3: $1" if ; then echo "We are Good. $line FILE is found to be INTACT !! " else echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
on(1)								   User Commands							     on(1)

NAME
on - execute a command on a remote system with the local environment SYNOPSIS
on [-i] [-d] [-n] host command [argument] ... DESCRIPTION
The on program is used to execute commands on another system, in an environment similar to that invoking the program. All environment vari- ables are passed and the current working directory is preserved. To preserve the working directory, the working file system must be either already mounted on the host or be exported to it. Relative path names will only work if they are within the current file system. Absolute path names may cause problems. The standard input is connected to the standard input of the remote command. The standard output and the standard error from the remote command are sent to the corresponding files for the on command. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Debug mode. Prints out some messages as work is being done. -i Interactive mode. Uses remote echoing and special character processing. This option is needed for programs that expect to be talking to a terminal. All terminal modes and window size changes are propagated. -n No Input. This option causes the remote program to get EOF when it reads from the standard input, instead of passing the standard input from the standard input of the on program. For example, -n is necessary when running commands in the background with job con- trol. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnfscu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
chkey(1), rlogin(1), rsh(1), telnet(1), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
unknown host Host name not found. cannot connect to server Host down or not running the server. can't find Problem finding the working directory. can't locate mount point Problem finding current file system. RPC: Authentication error The server requires DES authentication and you do not have a secret key registered with keyserv. Perhaps you logged in without a pass- word. Try to keylogin. If that fails, try to set your publickey with chkey. on server: RPC: can't encode arguments The 10240 byte limit for arguments to be encoded and passed from the sending to the receiving system has been exceeded. Other diagnostic messages may be passed back from the server. BUGS
When the working directory is remote mounted over NFS, a Control-Z hangs the window. Root cannot use on. SunOS 5.11 8 Oct 2003 on(1)