Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to run Background process one after another Post 302594791 by knight_eon on Wednesday 1st of February 2012 07:31:17 AM
Old 02-01-2012
Here would be the Algo:

1. Run the SCP command in background
2. Store the PID of the SCP Job (in Shell, PID of immediate backgrounded job can be derived by: BGPROC_PID=$!
3. Monitor the processes in a loop for the presence of above Backgrounded process

Here is equivalent UNIX Code
Code:

scp -r machinename:/PathOfFile/ /Path/WhereToCopyIt/  1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null &
BGPID=$!

while [ 1 ]; do
    PR_EX=$(ps -ef | awk -v BGPID=${BGPID} '{if ($2 == BGPID) print "Process with PID '"$BGPID"' exists"}')
    if [[ ${PR_EX} = "Process with PID $BGPID exists" ]]; then
       echo "Waiting for the Process with PID ${BGPID} to complete its execution"
       echo "Sleeping for 5 Seconds"
       sleep 5
       continue
    else
       echo "Process with PID ${BGPID} executed successfully"
       break
    fi
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

capture the process id when starting a background process

Hello all, How do I start a background process and save the process id to a file on my system. For example %wait 5 & will execute and print the process id. I can't figure out how to get it to a file. I've tried: > filename 0>filename 1>filename. Any assistance is most appreciated. Thanks, Jim... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jleavitt
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

make a foreground running process to run background without hang up

I've tried this a long time ago and was successful but could not remember how i did it. Tried ctrl+Z and then used bg % could not figure what i did after to keep it no hangup - not sure if used nohup -p pid, can u plz help me out if this can be done. Any help will be appreciated. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can we run ssh2 in background

Hi, I was trying to run ssh2 command in background... but i got follwoing error message saying that process has been stopped.. + Stopped(SIGTTOU) Anyone have any idea about this??? Appreciated your help.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pvamsikr
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to process and run a program in the background in perl?

Hi, I have a query about processing and running Perl program at the background. I have HTML file called Userform.html which accepts input from the user. As soon as input is given the contol goes to get.cgi (get.cgi does some processing and computing tasks). Actually get .cgi takes more... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to start background process and then kill process

What I need to learn is how to use a script that launches background processes, and then kills those processes as needed. The script successfully launches the script. But how do I check to see if the job exists before I kill it? I know my problem is mostly failure to understand parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: holocene
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

background scripts run-help

Looking for a logic where say i have a script called parent_script which is used to call other 4 to 5 child scripts in background as.. cat parent_script # containing 65 lines 1 2 .. 35 while read child_script 36 do 37 ./child_script_name& 38 done< ${SCRIPT_LISTS} 39 40 # Need to have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: michaelrozar17
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put FTP process as a background process/job in perl?

Hi, I am using net::ftp for transferring files now i am trying in the same Linux server as a result ftp is very fast but if the server is other location (remote) then the file transferred will be time consuming. So i want try putting FTP part as a background process. I am unaware how to do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run in background mode.

Hi All, i'm a newbie here, i'm just wondering in how do i run my script in background then echo it if it's done. Please advise, Thanks, -nik (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nikki1200
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make background process interact with fg process

Hi, I have written a menu driven shell script in which as per the choice, I run the another script on background. For eg: 1. get info 2)process info 3)modify info All the operations have different scripts which i schedule in background using &. However I wish to display the error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run scripts in background one by one

Hello all, Can someone help with one script? I have as example 3 scripts 1.sh sleep 60 & sleep 60 & sleep 10 & sleep 80 & sleep 60 & 2.sh sleep 40 & sleep 5 & sleep 10 & sleep 70 & sleep 60 & 3.sh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikus
2 Replies
opensnoop(1m)							   USER COMMANDS						     opensnoop(1m)

NAME
opensnoop - snoop file opens as they occur. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
opensnoop [-a|-A|-ceghsvxZ] [-f pathname] [-n name] [-p PID] DESCRIPTION
opensnoop tracks file opens. As a process issues a file open, details such as UID, PID and pathname are printed out. The returned file descriptor is printed, a value of -1 indicates an error. This can be useful for troubleshooting to determine if applia- cions are attempting to open files that do not exist. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. OPTIONS
-a print all data -A dump all data, space delimited -c print current working directory of process -e print errno value -g print full command arguments -s print start time, us -v print start time, string -x only print failed opens -Z print zonename -f pathname file pathname to snoop -n name process name to snoop -p PID process ID to snoop EXAMPLES
Default output, print file opens by process as they occur, # opensnoop Print human readable timestamps, # opensnoop -v See error codes, # opensnoop -e Snoop this file only, # opensnoop -f /etc/passwd FIELDS
ZONE Zone name UID User ID PID Process ID PPID Parent Process ID FD File Descriptor (-1 is error) ERR errno value (see /usr/include/sys/errno.h) CWD current working directory of process PATH pathname for file open COMM command name for the process ARGS argument listing for the process TIME timestamp for the open event, us STRTIME timestamp for the open event, string DOCUMENTATION
See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
opensnoop will run forever until Ctrl-C is hit. BUGS
occasionally the pathname for the file open cannot be read and the following error will be seen, dtrace: error on enabled probe ID 6 (...): invalid address this is normal behaviour. AUTHOR
Brendan Gregg [Sydney, Australia] SEE ALSO
dtrace(1M), truss(1) version 1.60 Jan 12, 2006 opensnoop(1m)