Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting search a word and copy the file Post 302594781 by itkamaraj on Wednesday 1st of February 2012 06:46:43 AM
Old 02-01-2012
Code:

ls -lrt tcserver*.syslog | awk '/Feb 1/ {print $NF}' | while read file; do grep -l "EXCEPTION: O\/S ERROR: signal 6" $file && echo "$file has the pattern" >>output.txt ; done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a word from file

Hello, I have a file which contains some SQL statements. I need to take out the table name from the file. Table name will always end with "_t". can anyone help me in getting that? for e.g. --- SQL_STMT do_sql_insert: cmd="insert into account_t ( poid_DB, poid_ID0, poid_TYPE, poid_REV,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishy
9 Replies

2. Solaris

Copy and paste text from a word document into a txt file in vi

Hello, Can anybody please tell me how we can copy and paste text from a word document into a text file that we are editing in vi? Is it possible to do that while we are editing the text file in vi in insert mode? Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for last instance of word in a file

Hi I'm trying to search for the last instance of the word 'cache' in a HTML file that I have downloaded from YouTube. I'm using the following syntax, but an error is thrown when I try it. grep -f "cache" Also I wish to append the above grep command to the below so that the search for cache... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: colmbell
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search for a word in a particular column of a file

How to search for a word like "computer" in a column (eg: 4th field) of a '***' delimited file and add a column at the end of the record which denotes 'Y' if present and 'N' if not. After this, we need to again check for words like 'Dell' but not 'DellXPS' in 5th field and again add another column... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jassz
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy line to new file if word matches

I'm drawing blank on this. The log file I have is filled with garbage, but the important lines are ##/##/### Installation xxxxxxx So, I want to sed the line to a new file IF the word installation is in it. I tried removing none matching lines sed 's/Installation/,//!d' infile > outfile but that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba_frog
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy contents of unix file to Word document

Hello, I have a unix file about 3000lines which i want to copy from and paste it into a Word document. If i cat the file and try to scroll through it then not everything is captured so i am getting and incomplete paste. Any help is really appreciated. jak (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed help - search/copy from one file and search/paste to another

I am a newbie and would like some help with the following - Trying to search fileA for a string similar to - AS11000022010 30.4 31.7 43.7 53.8 60.5 71.1 75.2 74.7 66.9 56.6 42.7 32.5 53.3 I then want to replace that string with a string from fileB - ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to copy a file opened in UNIX to word or txt?

Hi I would like to know how to copy a file opened in unix editor like Nedit or vi editor to a word document Since I am newbie I want to make sure I am not really copying onto real subdirectories I tried to right click and copy the entire .sql file or any other file opened.. Nedit doesn't... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swathi123
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search a word in a file?

How to search a particular word in a file. in my file contains lacks of rows. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmreddy
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a specific word and print only the word from the input file

Hi, I have a sample file as shown below, I am looking for sed or any command which prints the complete word only from the input file. Ex: $ cat "sample.log" I am searching for a word which is present in this file We can do a pattern search using grep but I need to cut only the word which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan_kumarcs
1 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)