Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problem with sleep cmd in execution of cron... Post 302594681 by knight_eon on Wednesday 1st of February 2012 02:41:32 AM
Old 02-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by manoj424
@ above

But actually when i am creating the crontab file in-between 00:05:00 to 00:05:59 the second command is being executed but the 1st command i.e sleep 45 is not running.
I hope you have removed &

Secondly, are you sure that Sleep command did not get executed?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

cron execution

Hi, Here is the code snippet when executing on the command line it does execute smoothly, but while i place this on cron it doesnt run. Can anybody suggest where the problem in cron is.? #!/usr/bin/ksh home_dir="/export/home/scripts/MonitorScripts" ThresholdLimit=5 touch... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rameek20
6 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 10.5 perl and cron job execution problem

Hi, I want to run a crontab job on solaris 10.5. I have configured the crontab accordingly 10 * * * * /scripts/dbalter.pl >> /scripts/cronout.txt However this does not work .Then I go to /var/mail/root and find an error in the output: From root@myserver Wed Feb 4 17:02:00 2009... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sonu2die4
1 Replies

3. Programming

popen hangs program during cmd execution

How can I get around this? when my program reaches the following popen job it halts the program until the ping/netstat/ipconfig/traceroute is completed then resume to the rest of the program... FILE *in; extern FILE *popen(); char buff; char newline; char nstat; char nping; ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jess83
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find cmd works different on cron job ?

/usr/bin/find $SEARCH_DIR -daystart \( \( -name 'KI*' -a -name '*.csv' \) -o -name '*_xyz_*' \) -mtime $DAYS_AGO -printf %f -printf "\n" | sort -r > $FILES The above command gives different results when run on a cron job. When run manually the result is accurate. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nuthalapati
2 Replies

5. AIX

Execution Problem with Cron

Guys, I am beginer in unix. There is a cobol file with fixed-width. I want to read the total Line, Word and character count. I have tried with wc-l unix command, but it returns '0'. Please advice me the correct command/steps to get the record count. Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhar
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl open(CMD, "cmd |"); buffering problem..

Hello, There's a third-party application's command that shows the application's status like "tail -f verybusy.log". When use the command, the output comes every 1-sec. but when it goes in a script below the output comes every 8-sec...What is the problem and how can I fix it? open(CMD,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shawn, Lee
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX cmd -find empty files in folder else sleep for 8hrs

Hello, I am trying to write a unix cmd , that if files in folder /path/FTP are all zero kb or empty then good to go, if not empty then sleep for 8 hrs. Following cmd list me the files which are not empty, But when I am incorporating IF ELSE cmd fails find /path/FTP. -type f -exec wc -l {}... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluestarmoon
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execution problem with Cron: Script works manually but not w/Cron. Why?

Hello gurus, I am making what I think is a simple db2 call from within a shell script but I am having difficulty producing the desired report when I run the script shown below from a shell script in cron. For example, my script and the crontab file setup is shown below: #!/bin/ksh db2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: okonita
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problem with CRON job

HI, I have written an executable file in unix and I was able to execute it successfully but when I called this file with cron job it was giving error like "permission denied" and "No such file or directory". Please help in how cron calls the file and what permission is required on the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipin kumar rai
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Execution problem with Cron

Hi, I'm unable to understand why the grep command in cronjob works intermittently Expected output: Grep command to look for a particular string with today's date and exit from infinite while loop else it must sleep for 5 mins I'm using the following statement in my shell script, the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: charlie87
9 Replies
sleep(1)						      General Commands Manual							  sleep(1)

NAME
sleep - Suspends execution for at least the specified time SYNOPSIS
sleep seconds STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: sleep: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
None OPERANDS
Non-negative integer specifying the number of seconds for which execution is to be suspended. DESCRIPTION
The sleep command suspends execution of a process for at least the interval specified by seconds, which can range from 0 to 2,147,483,647 seconds. Depending on system activity, the actual time of suspension may be longer. See the sleep(3) reference page. [Tru64 UNIX] seconds can be entered as a non-negative decimal, octal, or hexadecimal value. NOTES
If sleep receives a SIGALARM signal before process execution has resumed, sleep takes one of the following actions: Terminates normally with a 0 (zero) exit status. (See the sleep(3) reference page for more information.) Ignores the signal Performs default processing EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Execution was successfully suspended for at least the requested time, or a SIGALARM signal was received. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To display a message at 4-minute intervals for 20 minutes, create a shell script called remind containing the following: for i do sleep 240; echo $i sleep 240; echo $i sleep 240; echo $i sleep 240; echo $i sleep 240; echo $i done To display the message Try calling NHK at 4-minute intervals, enter: remind 'Try calling NHK' To run a command at regular intervals, create a shell script containing the following: while true do date sleep 60 done This displays the date and time once a minute. To execute a command after a specified interval, enter the following; (sleep 3600; echo Time's up) & This displays the message "Time's up" after one hour. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of sleep: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: wait(1) Functions: alarm(3), pause(3), sigaction(2), sleep(3) Standards: standards(5) sleep(1)