Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: appending text to a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting appending text to a file Post 302594678 by knight_eon on Wednesday 1st of February 2012 02:26:12 AM
Old 02-01-2012
Lets say, you have some set of files ending with .dat and u want to create the Trailer like T|$(count-1)

So,

Code:
for fn in *.dat
do
awk 'END{print "T| " NR-1}' ${fn} >> ${fn}
done

This User Gave Thanks to knight_eon For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending string to text file based on search string

Hi, I need to append string "Hi" to the beginning of the lines containing some specific string. How can I achieve that? Please help. Malay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending text of one file into other

hello, I am trying to append\insert the text that exists in file A into file B. for instance: File A contains: abcdef File B contains: ghijklm can i insert into file A the content in file B without damaging\deleting the input into file A? is there a command in shell that enables such... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: danland
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

appending text on top of another file

Dear All, I have two files One is script file in which I am writing commands to append a text in a normal file. I want to insert the text on top of the file. I dont want to use sed and awk commands nor temp file. is it possible? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjali
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending text to a file

Hi, Want to append the text to a new file, echo "set `sqlplus -S abc/xyz123@localdb<<EOS" >> chk_test_append.sh echo "EOS`" >> chk_test_append.shbut getting the below error : what wrong is written ? With Regards (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: milink
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increasing a number and appending it to next line of a text file

Hi all, I have text file having a number P100. what i need is when i run a script, it should add 1 to the above number and append it to the next line of a same text file.. when i use the script next time it should check the last line and add 1 to the last number and so on.. like the text... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

appending in a single text file

actually, i have to grep the value of cpu usage from six differrent servers and it has to generated in a single report( in a single text or excel file). i have used the below command for grepping the value. top -n 1 > arun.txt cat arun.txt | grep 'init' | cut -c 49-53 > output1.csv like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunmanas
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending two text files

Hi, i am using unix server and bash shell.. i have two csv files... i have file 1 as below... arun bvb ssx ccc and file 2 as below manas friu dfgg cat (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunmanas
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending a column of numbers in ascending order to a text file

I have a text file where I want to append a column of numbers in ascending orders. Input: 57 abc 25 def 32 ghi 54 jkl Output:57 abc 57 abc 1 25 def 2 32 ghi 3 54 jkl 4 How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in appending text to a file located in remote server

ssh -q "server_name sudo echo 'dbagroup::1234' >> sudo /etc/group"if i execute the above code its not getting appended. my requirement is to login to remote server and append dbagroup::1234 in /etc/group i am able to achieve this with tee -a command want to know why its not working with >>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
5 Replies
STRING(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 STRING(3)

NAME
strcat, strncat, strcmp, strncmp, strcasecmp, strncasecmp, strcpy, strncpy, strlen, index, rindex - string operations SYNOPSIS
#include <strings.h> char *strcat(s, append) char *s, *append; char *strncat(s, append, count) char *s, *append; int count; strcmp(s1, s2) char *s1, *s2; strncmp(s1, s2, count) char *s1, *s2; int count; strcasecmp(s1, s2) char *s1, *s2; strncasecmp(s1, s2, count) char *s1, *s2; int count; char *strcpy(to, from) char *to, *from; char *strncpy(to, from, count) char *to, *from; int count; strlen(s) char *s; char *index(s, c) char *s, c; char *rindex(s, c) char *s, c; DESCRIPTION
These functions operate on null-terminated strings. They do not check for overflow of any receiving string. Strcat appends a copy of string append to the end of string s. Strncat copies at most count characters. Both return a pointer to the null- terminated result. Strcmp compares its arguments and returns an integer greater than, equal to, or less than 0, according as s1 is lexicographically greater than, equal to, or less than s2. Strncmp makes the same comparison but looks at at most count characters. Strcasecmp and strncasecmp are identical in function, but are case insensitive. The returned lexicographic difference reflects a conversion to lower-case. Strcpy copies string from to to, stopping after the null character has been moved. Strncpy copies exactly count characters, appending nulls if from is less than count characters in length; the target may not be null-terminated if the length of from is count or more. Both return to. Strlen returns the number of non-null characters in s. Index (rindex) returns a pointer to the first (last) occurrence of character c in string s or zero if c does not occur in the string. Set- ting c to NULL works. 4th Berkeley Distribution October 22, 1987 STRING(3)