Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Want to read data from a file name.txt and search it in another file and then matching... Post 302594511 by gary_w on Tuesday 31st of January 2012 12:57:49 PM
Old 01-31-2012
ksh93 on Solaris:

Code:
#!/usr/dt/bin/dtksh

#  Declare constants
typeset -r RESULTSFILE=results
typeset -r INFILE=name.txt
typeset -r SOURCEFILE=source

#  Clear or create output file.
> $RESULTSFILE

while read line_in
do
  print "Search results for [${line_in}]:" >> $RESULTSFILE
  grep "$line_in" $SOURCEFILE >> $RESULTSFILE
done < $INFILE

exit 0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read last line of a txt file?

I need to read the last file for a particular day, such as, "Jun 13" because the CSV file is cumulative for the entire day, so I don't want all the previous files, I just want the last file, for that day. I ran an 'ls -al | grep "June 13" > myLs.txt' (simplified) to list all files from that day.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix script to takes the old data from a TXT file and compress them into new file

Hi, I am looking for the unix script which can takes the 2 month old data from a TXT file (there is one txt file in whiche messages are appended on daily basis) and compress them into new file.Please halp me out. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpandey
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can't read a .txt file

Hello, I have a set of .txt files I cannot read. This is a part of what I see. Is there a way to view these files? _MO<P.6D@K;WU<B$X-;)SIV/ROO!UL+1P=VTT-?,SLC`MI/6QMS#UYGGT\+)C=#\UIO`TL/0]=#/T) it's about 3 pages. Thanks for your help. Joe (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcracerjoe
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to read file and extract data by matching pattern

Hello, I have a file ( say file1) which has lines like below. xxxx:xxxx,yyyy,1234,efgh zzzz:zzzz,kkkk,pppp,1234,xxxx,uuuu,oooo dddd:dddd here the word before ":" ( ie: xxxx) is the file name and the string after : are also file names, but each file name separated by "," In case of... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepmacha
20 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shellscript to read data from txt file and import to oracle db

Hi all, Help needed urgently. I am currently writing a shellscript to read data/record from a flat file (.txt) file, and import/upload the data to oracle database. The script is working fine, but it takes too long time (for 18000 records, it takes around 90 mins). I guess it takes so long... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robot_mas
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get Data From CSV File and put into a txt file

Hi Guys, File A I have File A as CSV Format.... No R SS MK Par value S AL A1 PKL123 Lo12 1 S AL A2 PKl123 Lo34 22 S AL A3 PkLK234 Lo67 -34 S AL A4 PkLK235 Lo09 120 S AL A5 PkLK236 Lo76 19 S AL A6 PkLK237 Lo44 -17 S AL A7 PkLK238 Lo90 2 S AL A8 PkLK239 Lo34 -9 I want file B like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

create txt file form data file and add some line on it

Hi Guys, I have file A.txt File A Data AK1521 AK2536 AK3164 I want create text file of all data above and write some data on each file. want Output on below folder /home/kka/out AK1521.txt Hi Welocme (3 Replies)
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

create txt file form data file

File A.txt LL07 LL07_B_1 20 LL85 LL85_A_1 40 LL85 LL85_B_1 40 LL85 LL85_C_1 30 LL37 LL37_A_1 60 LL37 LL37_B_1 20 LL37 LL37_C_1 50 I want cretae diffrent tex file base of above file Should be threee text file LL07.txt LL85.txt LL37.txt Eaach text file have below data... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read in search strings from text file, search for string in second text file and output to CSV

Hi guys, I have a text file named file1.txt that is formatted like this: 001 , ID , 20000 002 , Name , Brandon 003 , Phone_Number , 616-234-1999 004 , SSNumber , 234-23-234 005 , Model , Toyota 007 , Engine ,V8 008 , GPS , OFF and I have file2.txt formatted like this: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: An0mander
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the shell script to read the .txt file as an input/data?

i have written my shell script in notepad however i am struggling to pass the data file to be read to the script the data file is of .txt format. My target is to run the shell script from the terminal and pass 3 arguments e.g. polg@DESKTOP-BVPDC5C:~/CS1420/coursework$ bash valsplit.sh input.txt... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gurdza32
11 Replies
shell_builtins(1)						   User Commands						 shell_builtins(1)

NAME
shell_builtins, case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, while - shell command interpreter built-in commands DESCRIPTION
The shell command interpreters csh(1), ksh(1), ksh93(1), and sh(1) have special built-in commands. The commands case, for, foreach, func- tion, if, repeat, select, switch, until, and while are commands in the syntax recognized by the shells. They are described in the Commands section of the manual pages of the respective shells. In ksh93(1), fc, hash, stop, suspend, times, and type are aliases by default. In ksh93, the following built-ins are bound to the /bin pathname by default and are invoked if the pathname search encounters an executable command of that name in the /bin or /usr/bin directory: cat, chown, getconf, head, mkdir, rmdir, tee, uniq, and wc. The remaining commands listed in the following table are built into the shells for reasons such as efficiency or data sharing between com- mand invocations. They are described on their respective manual pages. Command Shell ----------------------------------------------------------- ++**alias csh, ksh, ksh93 bg csh, ksh, ksh93, sh +*break csh, ksh, ksh93, sh builtin ksh93 case csh, ksh, ksh93, sh cat ksh93 cd csh, ksh, ksh93, sh chdir csh, sh chown ksh93 command ksh93 +*continue csh, ksh, ksh93, sh dirs csh disown ksh93 echo csh, ksh, ksh93, sh +*eval csh, ksh, ksh93, sh +*exec csh, ksh, ksh93, sh +*exit csh, ksh, ksh93, sh ++**export ksh, ksh93, sh false ksh, ksh93 fc ksh, ksh93 fg csh, ksh, ksh93, sh for ksh, ksh93, sh foreach csh function ksh, ksh93 getconf ksh93 getopts ksh, ksh93, sh glob csh goto csh hash ksh, ksh93, sh hashstat csh head ksh93 hist ksh93 history csh if csh, ksh, ksh93, sh jobs csh, ksh, ksh93, sh kill csh, ksh, ksh93, sh let ksh, ksh93, limit csh login csh, ksh, ksh93, sh logout csh mkdir ksh93 nice csh +*newgrp ksh, ksh93, sh nohup csh notify csh onintr csh popd csh print ksh, ksh93 printf ksh93 pushd csh pwd ksh, ksh93, sh read ksh, ksh93, sh ++**readonly ksh, ksh93, sh rehash csh repeat csh +*return ksh, ksh93, sh select ksh, ksh93 +set csh, ksh, ksh93, sh setenv csh shift csh, ksh, ksh93, sh sleep ksh93 source csh stop csh, ksh, ksh93, sh suspend csh, ksh, sh switch csh tee ksh93 test ksh, ksh93, sh time csh *times ksh, ksh93, sh *+trap ksh, ksh93, sh true ksh, ksh93 type ksh, ksh93, sh ++**typeset ksh, ksh93 ulimit ksh, ksh93, sh umask csh, ksh, ksh93, sh +unalias csh, ksh, ksh93 unhash csh uniq ksh93 unlimit csh +unset csh, ksh, ksh93, sh unsetenv csh until ksh, ksh93, sh *wait csh, ksh, ksh93, sh whence ksh, ksh93 while csh, ksh, ksh93, sh Bourne Shell, sh, Special Commands Input/output redirection is now permitted for these commands. File descriptor 1 is the default output location. When Job Control is enabled, additional Special Commands are added to the shell's environment. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, sh also uses: : No effect; the command does nothing. A zero exit code is returned. .filename Read and execute commands from filename and return. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory contain- ing filename. C shell, csh Built-in commands are executed within the C shell. If a built-in command occurs as any component of a pipeline except the last, it is exe- cuted in a subshell. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, csh also uses: : Null command. This command is interpreted, but performs no action. Korn Shell, ksh, Special Commands Input/Output redirection is permitted. Unless otherwise indicated, the output is written on file descriptor 1 and the exit status, when there is no syntax error, is zero. Commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a variable assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, ksh also uses: * : [ arg ... ] The command only expands parameters. * .file [ arg ... ] Read the complete file then execute the commands. The commands are executed in the current shell environment. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory containing file. If any arguments arg are specified, they become the positional parameters. Otherwise, the positional parameters are unchanged. The exit status is the exit status of the last command executed. the loop termination test. Korn Shell, ksh93, Special Commands Input/Output redirection is permitted. Unless otherwise indicated, the output is written on file descriptor 1 and the exit status, when there is no syntax error, is zero. Except for :, true, false, echo, newgrp, and login, all built-in commands accept -- to indicate end of options. They also interpret the option --man as a request to display the manual page onto standard error and -? as a help request which prints a usage message on standard error. Commands that are preceded by one or two + are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. They are not valid function names. 5. Words, following a command preceded by ++ that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a variable assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and field splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, ksh93 also uses: : [ arg ... ] The command only expands parameters. .name [ arg ... ] If name is a function defined with the function name reserved word syntax, the function is executed in the cur- rent environment (as if it had been defined with the name() syntax.) Otherwise if name refers to a file, the file is read in its entirety and the commands are executed in the current shell environment. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory containing the file. If any arguments arg are specified, they become the positional parameters while processing the . command and the original positional parameters are restored upon completion. Otherwise the positional parameters are unchanged. The exit status is the exit status of the last command executed. SEE ALSO
Intro(1), alias(1), break(1), builtin(1), cd(1), chmod(1), csh(1), disown(1), echo(1), exec(1), exit(1), find(1), getoptcvt(1), getopts(1), glob(1), hash(1), history(1), jobs(1), kill(1), ksh(1), ksh93(1), let(1), limit(1), login(1), logout(1), newgrp(1), nice(1), nohup(1), print(1), printf(1), pwd(1), read(1), readonly(1), set(1), sh(1), shift(1), sleep(1), suspend(1), test(1)test(1), test(1B), time(1), times(1), trap(1), typeset(1), umask(1), wait(1), chdir(2), chmod(2), creat(2), umask(2), getopt(3C), profile(4), environ(5) SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 shell_builtins(1)