Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Finding position of space in a variable Post 302594462 by Corona688 on Tuesday 31st of January 2012 11:01:46 AM
Old 01-31-2012
try
Code:
expr index "$ulab" ' '

Without the quotes, $ulab splits into two strings on the commandline.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

search in finding position of a string in avariable

Hi, I have to find a text in a variable and need to get the position of it. say, a="This is Example Example1 xxx yyy Example" if i search for "Example" then i should get the location of the starting location "Example". and in next iteration it should give the location of next "Example" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smr_rashmy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read space filled file and replace text at specific position

Hi I have a spaced filled file having records like below: What I want is to read line having RT3 at position 17-19 then go to position 2651 check the 18 characters (might be space filled till 18 characters). This position should have a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: COD
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in finding the max and min position

Hi, I have this input file called ttbitnres (which is catenated and sorted):- 8 0.4444 213 10 0.5555 342 11 0.5555 321 12 0.5555 231 13 0.4444 400 My code is at :- #!/bin/bash echo -e Version "\t" Number of Pass "\t" Number of Fail "\t" Rank Position "\t"Min "\t" Max... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding character mismatch position in two strings

Hello, I would like to find an efficient way to compare a pair of strings that differ at one position, and return the difference and position. For example: String1 123456789 String2 123454789 returning something - position 6, 6/4 Thanks in advance, Mike (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: etherite
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding relative position in a file

Hi, I have a file like 123 aaaaaaaaa ddddddddd vvvvvvvvv 345 ssssssssssss dddddddddd fffffffffff dddd ff 567 --------- sssssssss ddddddd eeeeeeeee (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saltysumi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the most positive and negative value and defining its position

Hi, I have a file that looks like this: Jake 2 3 4 6 4 3 -2 -1 Jerry 1 2 3 2 1 7 -6 -1 Timmy -1 -4 -5 -8 9 3 1 I want to find the most positive and negative value for each row and also define its position (based on column #) So the output would look... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gisele_l
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with finding matching position on strings

I have a DNA file like below and I am able to write a short program which finds/not an input motif, but I dont understand how I can include in the code to report which position the motif was found. Example I want to find the first or all "GAT" motifs and want the program to report which position... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get character position within variable

Hi all let's say i have a file named 1234_v2_abcd i need to find the position of the character located after _v, in above case this would be character number 2 the count of the characters before _v can change, but i always have a number after _v can anybody help :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gigagigosu
4 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Search for a pattern and replace a space at specific position with a Character in File

In file, we have millions of records each of 1000 in length. And at specific position say 800 there is a space, we need to replace it with Character X if the ID in that row starts with 123. So far i have used the below which is replacing space at that position to X but its not checking for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagmeet Singh
3 Replies

10. Programming

Python variable at different position

I have a file which records banking transactions say like below. user1 has deposited 10,000$ in his account user2 has deposited 11,000$ in his account user1 has withdraw today 5000$ from his account. Lets say i read this file and convert each line as a list. username= word action=... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sahil_shine
1 Replies
DwtScrollBarGetSlider(3Dwt)											       DwtScrollBarGetSlider(3Dwt)

Name
       DwtScrollBarGetSlider - Retrieves the current size and position parameters of the slider in the scroll bar widget.

Syntax
       void DwtScrollBarGetSlider(widget, value_return, shown_return,
				  inc_return, pageinc_return)
	    Widget widget;
	    int *value_return;
	    int *shown_return;
	    int *inc_return;
	    int *pageinc_return;

Arguments
       widget	 Specifies the scroll bar widget ID.

value_return
		 Returns  the scroll bar's top thumb (slider) position between the DwtNminValue and DwtNmaxValue attributes to the scroll bar wid-
		 get.

shown_return
		 Returns the size of the slider as a value between zero and the absolute value of DwtNmaxValue minus DwtNminValue.   The  size	of
		 the slider varies, depending on how much of the slider scroll area it represents.

inc_return
		 Returns the amount of button increment and decrement.

pageinc_return
		 Returns the amount of page increment and decrement.

Description
       The DwtScrollBarGetSlider function returns the currently displayed size/position values of the slider in the scroll bar widget.	The scroll
       region is overlaid with a slider bar that is adjusted in size and position using the main scroll bar or	set  slider  function  attributes.
       The stepping arrows and the slider are the scroll activator objects providing the user interface syntax ``feel.''

See Also
       DwtScrollBarSetSlider(3Dwt)
       Guide to the XUI Toolkit: C Language Binding
       Guide to the XUI Toolkit Intrinsics: C Language Binding

DwtScrollBarGetSlider(3Dwt)