Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Print records which do not have expected number of fields in a comma delimited file Post 302594386 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 31st of January 2012 08:09:30 AM
Old 01-31-2012
Try preserving the record first:
Code:
awk -F, '{p=$0;gsub(/"[^"]*"/,x)} NF!=4{print NR,p}' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Tab delimited file to Comma delimited file in Unix

Hi, Can anyone let me know on how to convert a Tab delimited file to Comma delimited file in Unix Thanks!! (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: charan81
22 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse apart strings of comma separated data with varying number of fields

I have a situation where I am reading a text file line-by-line. Those lines of data contain comma separated fields of data. However, each line can vary in the number of fields it can contain. What I need to do is parse apart each line and write each field of data found (left to right) into a file.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2reperry
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort the fields in a comma delimited file

Hi, I have a comma delimited file. I want to sort the fields alphabetically and again store them in a comma delimited file. For example, My file looks like this. abc,aaa,xyz,xxx,def pqr,ggg,eee,iii,qqq zyx,lmo,pqr,abc,fff and I want my output to look like this, all fields sorted... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swethapatil
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK ??-print for fields within records in a file

Hello all, Would appreciate if someone can help me out on the following requirement. INPUT FILE: -------------------------- TPS REPORT abc def ghi jkl mon pqr stu vrs lll END OF TPS REPORT TPS REPORT field1 field2 field3 field4 field5 field6 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hyennah
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem while counting number of fields in TAB delimited file

I'm facing a strange problem, please help me out. Here we go. I want to count number of fields in particular file. filename and delimiter character will be passed through parameter. On command prompt if i type following i get 27 as output (which is correct) cat customer.dat | head -1 | awk... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikanna
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of column in a comma delimited file

I have a comma (,) delimited file. 106232145,"medicare","medicare,medicaid",789 I would like to count the number of fields in each line. I tried the below code awk -F ',' '{print NF-1}' This returns me the result as 5 instead of 4. This is because the awk takes... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

appending a command to print a file in a comma delimited format

Hi everyone, i have a file that I had grep'd from something else lets call it file1.txt which consists variable files and lines due to different scenarios/inputs 1782 9182 fe35 ac67 how can I print this in this manner? 1782,9182,fe35,ac67 also if i had piped the new output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prodigy06
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert a comma delimited string to records or lines of text?

Hi, I am not sure if I've posted this question before. Anyway, I previously asked about converting lines of text into a comma delimited string. Now I am needing to do the other way around ... :( :o Can anyone advise how is this possible? Example as below: Converting records/lines to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Make all records with the same number of fields (awk)

Hi, input: AA|BB|CC DD|EE FF what I am trying to get: AA|BB|CC DD|EE| FF|| I tried to create first an UDF for printing repeats, but I think I have an issue with my END section or my array: function repeat(str, n, rep, i) { for(i=1 ;i<n;i++) rep=rep str return rep } ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need help on an old post - How to convert a comma delimited string to records or lines of text?

Hi, Apologies in advance to the moderator if I am posting this the wrong way. I've searched and found the solution to an old post but as it is a very old post, I don't see an option to update it with additional question. The question I have is in relation to the following post: How to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
6 Replies
sortbib(1)						      General Commands Manual							sortbib(1)

Name
       sortbib - sort bibliographic database

Syntax
       sortbib [-sKEYS] database...

Description
       The  command sorts files of records containing refer key-letters by user-specified keys.  Records may be separated by blank lines, or by .[
       and .] delimiters, but the two styles may not be mixed together.  This program reads through each database and pulls out key fields,  which
       are  sorted  separately.   The sorted key fields contain the file pointer, byte offset, and length of corresponding records.  These records
       are delivered using disk seeks and reads, so may not be used in a pipeline to read standard input.

By default, alphabetizes by the first %A and the %D fields, which contain the senior author and date.  The -s option is used to specify new
       KEYS.  For instance, -sATD will sort by author, title, and date, while -sA+D will sort by all authors, and date.  Sort keys past the fourth
       are not meaningful.  No more than 16 databases may be sorted together at one time.  Records longer than 4096 characters will be truncated.

The command sorts on the last word on the %A line, which is assumed to be the author's last name.  A word in the final  position,  such	as
       ``jr.''	or  ``ed.'',  will be ignored if the name beforehand ends with a comma.  Authors with two-word last names or unusual constructions
       can be sorted correctly by using the convention ``'' in place of a blank.  A %Q field is considered to be the same as %A, except  sorting
       begins  with  the first, not the last, word.  The command sorts on the last word of the %D line, usually the year.  It also ignores leading
       articles (like ``A'' or ``The'') when sorting by titles in the %T or %J fields; it will ignore articles of any  modern  European  language.
       If a sort-significant field is absent from a record, places that record before other records containing that field.

Options
       -sKEYS
	  Specifies new sort KEYS.  For example, ATD sorts by author, title, and date.

See Also
       addbib(1), indxbib(1), lookbib(1), refer(1), roffbib(1)

sortbib(1)