Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Script to check if user can bind, then output to file Post 302594148 by otheus on Monday 30th of January 2012 03:20:54 PM
Old 01-30-2012
Use the ldap client command to bind as a user. If the command fails, you should
get nonzero exit code. If it succeeds, you should get
a zero exit code. If you can confirm this, you just
put the command in an if statement:

Quote:
if ldap_command $OPTIONS ; then cat yes.xml ; else cat
no.xml
This User Gave Thanks to otheus For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to allow nonroot user to bind to port 80

We are making some changes, and are now using Weblogic as the webserver on one of my projects. I would like for the non root user running Weblogic to be able to bind to port 80. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
10 Replies

2. SCO

Need Script to check whether user exists in the remote machine

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting. Can someone let me know, how to check whether the user exists in the remote system? I am building a new unix box and before I proceed installing the appliation , I want to check whether the required users are created in the system . how to do this ?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Srini75
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to check for a file, check for 2hrs. then quit

I wish to seach a Dir for a specific file, once the file is found i will perform additional logic. If the file is not found within two hours, i would like to exit. Logically, I'm looking for the best way to approach this Thanks for any assistance in advance. Note: I'm using a C shell and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmarsh
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

check user id before running script

I am looking for the syntax to check which ID is executing script.sh. If the the ID, is not user1 then I want the script to exit and return to command prompt, if it is user1, then I want the script to continue. Any help would be greatly appreciate. Thank you. Chris (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpolikowsky
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne script: Check for root and oracle user

I have 2 separate Bourne shell scripts with 2 questions in Sun O/S & UNIX environment. Question 1: One of the scripts is supposed to be executed by "root" user only but cannot be executed after user executes "su - oracle". How can I check in the script whether the current user is "root" user?... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: totziens
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if script run by a user directly or via other scripts

Hi, i have a script 'a.sh' that should be called only by certain scripts like b.sh, c.sh Inside a.sh, how can i determine 1) if this script was run directly from command prompt (or scheduler) 2) if called via other scripts? Is there an easy way to get parent process name (not just pid),... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrinu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to calculate user's last login to check if > 90 days

I need a script to figure out if a user's last login was 90 days or older. OS=AIX 5.3, shell=Korn Here's what I have so far: ==== #!/usr/bin/ksh NOW=`lsuser -a time_last_login root | awk -F= '{ print $2 }'` (( LAST_LOGIN_TIME = 0 )) (( DIFF = $NOW - $LAST_LOGIN_TIME )) lsuser -a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdtak
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

*ix script to check port of client server and return output

Hello EveryOne, I am new to *ix. some could help to write a script. Problem :- Have to ssh to so many client and check port or filesystem usage, so thinking to automate using script. What i Need:- when i run script on my Launchpad server, it should Should ask and SSH to user provided... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MeFirst
3 Replies

9. Ubuntu

How to check user is in sudoers file or not?

How to check user is in sudoers file or not? or can list out the user that in sudoer file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mampwamp
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check the user input to be valid using shell script?

How to check the user input to be valid using shell script? The valid input is in the format like as follows. 1. It can only have r,w,x or a hyphen and nothing else. 2. ensure the r, w, x are in the correct order. for example: rwxr-xr-x is a valid format. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hyeewang
5 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)