Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting adding a column of unique string to multiple files Post 302593908 by ida1215 on Monday 30th of January 2012 12:05:03 AM
Old 01-30-2012
@ ahamed101. yeah that would be it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Multiple Lines to Multiple Files

Hello, I have three lines I need to add to hundreds of files. The files are all in the same format and contain the same information. I want to add the same information to the files. The new lines of information are similar. Here is an example of the three lines: line1: line2 =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dayinthelife
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

get part of file with unique & non-unique string

I have an archive file that holds a batch of statements. I would like to be able to extract a certain statement based on the unique customer # (ie. 123456). The end for each statement is noted by "ENDSTM". I can find the line number for the beginning of the statement section with sed. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrewsc
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare multiple files and print unique lines

Hi friends, I have multiple files. For now, let's say I have two of the following style cat 1.txt cat 2.txt output.txt Please note that my files are not sorted and in the output file I need another extra column that says the file from which it is coming. I have more than 100... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
19 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare columns of multiple files and print those unique string from File1 in an output file.

Hi, I have multiple files that each contain one column of strings: File1: 123abc 456def 789ghi File2: 123abc 456def 891jkl File3: 234mno 123abc 456def In total I have 25 of these type of file. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count Unique values from multiple lists of files

Looking for a little help here. I have 1000's of text files within a multiple folders. YYYY/ /MM /1000's Files Eg. 2014/01/1000 files 2014/02/1237 files 2014/03/1400 files There are folders for each year and each month, and within each monthly folder there are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: whegra
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging two tables including multiple ocurrence of column identifiers and unique lines

I would like to merge two tables based on column 1: File 1: 1 today 1 green 2 tomorrow 3 red File 2: 1 a lot 1 sometimes 2 at work 2 at home 2 sometimes 3 new 4 a lot 5 sometimes 6 at work (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BSP
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unique entries in multiple files

Hello, I have a directory with a log files(many of them). Lines look like this: Sep 1 00:05:05 server9 pop3d-ssl: LOGIN, user=abc@example.com, ip=, port= Sep 1 00:05:05 server9 pop3d-ssl: LOGOUT, user=abc@example.com, ip=, port=, top=0, retr=0, rcvd=12, sent=46, time=0 Sep 1 00:05:05... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramirez987
19 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurrence of column one unique value having unique second column value

Hello Team, I need your help on the following: My input file a.txt is as below: 3330690|373846|108471 3330690|373846|108471 0640829|459725|100001 0640829|459725|100001 3330690|373847|108471 Here row 1 and row 2 of column 1 are identical but corresponding column 2 value are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search string in multiple files and display column wise

I have 3 files. Each of those files have the same number of records, however certain records have different values. I would like to grep the field in ALL 3 files and display the output with only the differences in column wise and if possible line number File1 Name = Joe Age = 33... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidnow
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Split into multiple files by using Unique columns in a UNIX file

I have requirement to split below file (sample.csv) into multiple files by using the unique columns (first 3 are unique columns) sample.csv 123|22|56789|ABCDEF|12AB34|2019-07-10|2019-07-10|443.3400|1|1 123|12|5679|BCDEFG|34CD56|2019-07-10|2019-07-10|896.7200|1|2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RVSP
3 Replies
LOCKS(3)						   libbash locks Library Manual 						  LOCKS(3)

NAME
locks -- libbash library that implements locking (directory based). This library is not throughoutly tested - use with caution! SYNOPSIS
dirInitLock <object> [<spin>] dirTryLock <object> dirLock <object> dirUnlock <object> dirDestroyLock <object> DESCRIPTION
General locks is a collection of functions that implement locking (mutex like) in bash scripting language. The whole idea is based on the fact that directory creation/removal is an atomic process. The creation of this library was inspired by studying CVS locks management. Same lock object can by used by several processes to serialize access to some shared resource. (Well, yeah, this what locks were invented for...) To actually do this, processes just need to access lock object by the same name. Functions list: dirInitLock Initialize a lock object for your proccess dirTryLock Try to lock the lock object - give up if its already locked dirLock Lock the lock object - will block until object is unlocked dirUnlock Unlock the lock object dirDestroyLock Destroy the lock object - free resources Detailed interface description follows. FUNCTIONS DESCRIPTIONS
dirInitLock <object> [<spin>] Initialize a lock object for your process. Only after a lock is initialized, your proccess will be able to use it. Notice: This action does not lock the object. The lock can be set on two types of objects. The first is an existing directory. In this case, Aq dir must be a path (relative or full). The path must contain a '/'. The second is an abstract object used as a lock. In this case, the name of the lock will not contain any '/'. This can be used to create locks without creating real directories for them. Notice: Do not call your lock object '.lock'. Parameters: <object> The name of the lock object (either existing directory or abstract name) <spin> The time (in seconds) that the funtion dirLock will wait between two runs of dirTryLock. This parameter is optional, and its value gen- erally should be less then 1. If ommited, a default value (0.01) is set. Return Value: One of the following: 0 The action finished successfully. 1 The action failed. You do not have permissions to preform it. 3 The directory path could not be resolved. Possibly parameter does contain '/', but refers to directory that does not exist. dirTryLock <object> Try to lock the lock object. The function always returns immediately. Parameters: <object> The object that the lock is set on. Return Value: One of the following: 0 The action finished successfully. 1 The action failed. The object is already locked. 2 The action failed. Your proccess did not initialize a lock for the object. 3 The directory path could not be resolved. dirLock <object> Lock given lock object. If the object is already locked - the function will block untill the object is unlocked. After each try (dirTry- Lock) the function will sleep for spin seconds (spin is defined using dirInitLock ). Parameters: <object> The directory that the lock is set on. Return Value: One of the following: 0 The action finished successfully. 2 The action failed. Your proccess did not initialize a lock for the directory. 3 The directory path could not be resolved. dirUnlock <dir> Unlock the lock object. Parameters: <object> The object that the lock is set on. Return Value: One of the following: 0 The action finished successfully. 2 The action failed. Your proccess did not initialize the lock. 3 The directory path could not be resolved. dirDestroyLock <object> Destroys the lock object. After this action the proccess will no longer be able to use the lock object. To use the object after this action is done, one must initialize the lock, using dirInitLock. Parameters: <object> The directory that the lock is set on. Return Value: One of the following: 0 The action finished successfully. 1 The action failed. The directory is locked by your own proccess. Unlock it first. 2 The action failed. Your proccess did not initialize the lock. 3 The directory path could not be resolved. EXAMPLES
Creating an abstract lock named mylock, with 0.1 second spintime: $ dirInitLock mylock 0.1 # $?=0 Locking it: $ dirLock mylock # $?=0 Trying once to lock it again: $ dirTryLock mylock # $?=1 Trying to lock it again: $ dirLock mylock # Will wait forever Unlocking: $ dirUnlock mylock # $?=0 Destroying the lock: $ dirDestroyLock mylock # $?=0 Trying to lock again: $ dirLock mylock # $?=2 Creating a lock on the directory ./mydir, with default spin time: $ dirInitLock ./mydir # $?=0 AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <gil@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), libbash(1) Linux Epoch Linux