Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cp Command not finding files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cp Command not finding files Post 302593808 by chihung on Saturday 28th of January 2012 10:18:34 PM
Old 01-28-2012
Shell will not expand *.log if is within single quote. Below should do the job
Code:
cat /home/spinner0205/directory/directory/*.log > /home/spinner0205/otherdirectory/combined.txt

To avoid too long a command line when the shell expands, you may want to cd to that directory to do the copy:
Code:
cd /home/spinner0205/directory/directory
cat *.log > /home/spinner0205/otherdirectory/combined.txt

This User Gave Thanks to chihung For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

finding files

Hi, I am trying to find all files ending in a particular file extension, ie all files ending with .pdf find / -name *.pdf But this doesnt seem to work, ie it doesnt find the files, is there a better way of doing this? I am using solaris 9 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding duplicate files by size and finding pattern matching and its count

Hi, I have a challenging task,in which i have to find the duplicate files by its name and size,then i need to take anyone of the file.Then i need to open the file and find for more than one pattern and count of that pattern. Note:These are the samples of two files,but i can have more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome Sukumar
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with finding files

Ok, here it is: I have a system that logs certain files every day. Every time a new day dawns, the system will create a folder with the name that is respective to the day's date (12-06-07) and start putting new files in that folder. I have another system that needs these files. I am going to:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding files

Hi guys just wondering if there is a way to scan the whoel file system and find files that have not been used over a number of days, using the script (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: musicmancanora
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help in Finding Files ::

Hi All , i am in progress of creating a script which should find a file a.txt , in a particular root directory . This should actually Search all the Sub directories and copy those files and FTP it to a server . Need a Input how to Proceed on this Thankyou guys (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghav1982
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding multiple files using find command

I am trying to search for 2 files using the find command as below find -name file1.txt -a -name file2.txt It doesn't give a result although the files exist in the folder, however when i try the following find -name file1.txt -o -name file2.txt It does give me the result. ./file2.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek_damodaran
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding older files using find command

Hi All, I want to find files which are older than 15 days. I have written a command as below, find -mtime +15 -print I understand (System date - last modified time of a file) should be greater than or equal to 15 days. This command returns files which are 15 days old.. i.e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nshan
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files with wc -l results = 1 then moving the files to another folder

Hi guys can you please help me with a script to find files with one row/1 line of content then move the file to another directory my script below runs but nothing happens to the files....Alternatively Ca I get a script to find the *.csv files with "wc -1" results = 1 then create a list of those... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dj Moi
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding the modified timestamp of files from the piped output of du command

Version Info +++++++++++++++ RHEL 5.4 Since ls command lists file sizes in Bytes which can be long I use du command like below. I have run the du command for the below files as shown below. But I want pipe this output to ls command just to see the modified timestamp for these files. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
7 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Finding a file with ls command

/volumes/NEWS_MASTERS/News Masters/AGA143 SCHWEIZER SETUP AM v2.mxf /volumes/NEWS_MASTERS/News Masters/AGA143 SCHWEIZER SETUP AM v3.mxf /volumes/NEWS_MASTERS/News Masters/AGA143 SCHWEIZER SETUP EM v2.mxf /volumes/NEWS_MASTERS/News Masters/AGA143 SCHWEIZER SETUP EM v3.mxf the above 4 files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbrady
2 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. Please notice this option isn't related to the terminal length as in a "80 culums terminal". --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do right to left (RTL) layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter and A4. Default is A4. Postscript points Each postscript point equals to 1/72 of an inch. 36 points are 1/2 of an inch. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --gutter-width=gw Set gutter width. Default is 40 postscript points. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)