Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash code to create named Pipe Post 302593784 by INHF on Saturday 28th of January 2012 04:34:02 PM
Old 01-28-2012
Bash code to create named Pipe

Guy's,

I need help with creating a pipe, I found this code online but not exactly sure what different parts are doing.

Will someone be able to help me with explaining what code is doing?

Also what I want is to have everything the same directory. Meaning I am working in directory:
Quote:
Home/users/Bashwork/Testing
I want to keep everything in Testing directory.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

HERE=`uname -n`    # Will I be able to add the directory here 
  THERE=bilbo         # What is this creating?
  echo "starting remote backup to $THERE at `date +%r`"
  # ==> `date +%r` returns time in 12-hour format, i.e. "08:08:34 PM".

e
  rm -rf /pipe
  mkfifo /pipe       # ==> Create a "named pipe", named "/pipe".

#What is this doing too?

su xyz -c "ssh $THERE \"cat >/home/xyz/backup/${HERE}-daily.tar.gz\" < /pipe"&
  cd /

#This too?

tar -czf - bin boot dev etc home info lib man root sbin share usr var >/pipe

exit 0

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

IPC using named pipe

Hi All, I am facing a vague issue while trying to make two process talk to each other using named pipe. read process ========= The process which reads, basically creates FIFO using mkfifo - ret_val = mkfifo(HALF_DUPLEX, 0666);) func. It then opens the pipe using open func - fd =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharanbr
1 Replies

2. Programming

IPC using named pipe

Hi All, I am facing a vague issue while trying to make two process talk to each other using named pipe. read process ========= The process which reads, basically creates FIFO using mkfifo - ret_val = mkfifo(HALF_DUPLEX, 0666) func. It then opens the pipe using open func - fd = open... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharanbr
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

named pipe with persistent buffer

Hey folks, i need communicate between 2 processes in a reliable manner. The information delivery has to be guarenteed. I thought about proc 2 sending a signal to proc 1 when information has being written to disc and wirte() has been verified (sync/flush). The IPC method for the data is named... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: heck
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Named PIPE

Gurus, I've a File Transaction Server, which communicates with other servers and performs some processing.It uses many Named PIPE's. By mistake i copied a named PIPE into a text file. I heard that PIPE files shouldn't be copied.Isn't it? Since it's a production box, i'm afraid on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tamil
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Named Pipe contents to a file

I want to copy the contents of a named pipe to a file. I have tried using: cat pipe.p >> transcript.log but I have been unsuccessful, any ideas? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: carl_vieyra
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fifo or named pipe working?

Can someone explain to me the working of fifo() system call using simple C programs so that I can implement them in the UNIX environement? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lvkchaitanya
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

will a named pipe always be size 0 on filesystem?

I did cat < myFile >> myPipe I was hoping that if I did ls -l, myPipe would now be holding the contents of myFile, and would be the same size. But it was 0. Also strange was that when I did the command above, cat did not return control back to the shell. Why? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

pipe to file named with date

I would like to pipe (redirect ? - what is the right term?) the output of my script to a file named with the current date. If I run this at a command prompt: date +'%Y%m%d" ...it returns "20110429" OK, that's good... so I try: ./script.sh > "'date +%Y%m%d'.csv" I get a file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: landog
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Named pipe performance

Hi, I am getting data into a Named pipe. Does Named pipe have any size restriction; I know it does not have any storage and it just passes on the data to the next process. I want to know, if there will be a difference in the Named pipe performance if the data input is more. (I am using DB2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudvishw
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Named pipe hanging?

Ok, I can't seem to figure this out or find anything on the web about this. I'm on Sun Solaris, UNIX. I have the following test script: #!/bin/ksh touch test.file LOG=./tmp.log rm -f ${LOG} PIPE=./tmp.pipe mkfifo ${PIPE} trap "rm -f ${PIPE}" EXIT tee -a ${LOG} < ${PIPE} & ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ditto
17 Replies
Child::Link::IPC::Pipe::Parent(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		       Child::Link::IPC::Pipe::Parent(3pm)

NAME
Child::Link::IPC::Pipe::Parent - Parent object used by the pipe plugin. SEE ALSO
This class inherits from: Child::Link::Parent Child::Link::IPC Child::Link::IPC::Pipe HISTORY
Most of this was part of Parrallel::Runner intended for use in the Fennec project. Fennec is being broken into multiple parts, this is one such part. FENNEC PROJECT
This module is part of the Fennec project. See Fennec for more details. Fennec is a project to develop an extendable and powerful testing framework. Together the tools that make up the Fennec framework provide a potent testing environment. The tools provided by Fennec are also useful on their own. Sometimes a tool created for Fennec is useful outside the greator framework. Such tools are turned into their own projects. This is one such project. Fennec - The core framework The primary Fennec project that ties them all together. AUTHORS
Chad Granum exodist7@gmail.com COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010 Chad Granum Child is free software; Standard perl licence. Child is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the license for more details. perl v5.10.1 2011-03-07 Child::Link::IPC::Pipe::Parent(3pm)