Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to extract fields from etc/passwd file? Post 302593708 by jaiseaugustine on Saturday 28th of January 2012 03:46:28 AM
Old 01-28-2012
Hi,

Can we assign each fields to variables by the same 'awk' command??

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to extract a field from /etc/passwd file..

Hello, was looking for some help on extracting a field from the passwd file. So far I have made a copy of the passwd file and changed my rights so I can edit it. Every user's password is coded as an :x:, and my goal was to change that x to a blank, and then try to extract any user with that field... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xBuRnTx
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to extract fields for /etc/passwd

hi, i would like to extract the just name field from /etc/passwd file, and nothing else. ie grep pauline, and Pauline Fowler comes back. cheeers paul mc (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mopimp
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract some common fields from 1 file that are presnt in another file

I have 2 files FILEA 720646363*PHILIPPINES 117183970*USA 116274291*USA 107940983*USA 107395824*USA 106632425*USA 105861926*USA 105208607*USA 053077046*USA 065428026*ENGLAND FILEB 001125236 001408905 002316511 002521094 020050725 035018308 052288735 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: unxusr123
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract fields from text file using delimiter!!

Hi All, I am new to unix scripting, please help me in solving this assignment.. I have a scenario, as follows: 1. i have a text file(read1.txt) with the following data sairam,123 kamal,122 etc.. 2. I have to write a unix... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: G.K.K
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut fields from /etc/passwd file into variables?

The script must ask the user to enter the user name and check whether the user exists in /etc/passwd (you must allow the partial usernames also). If the username exists, display the details as: List of users Login Name: User ID: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nobletechnology
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passwd -S on linux- what are the fields?

I'm looking for some documentation on what the different fields mean in the output of passwd -S username: passwd -S foo foo PS 2012-03-20 0 70 3 -1 (Password set, MD5 crypt.) I think the date given is the date of the last password change, the 0 after that is the minimum password age, and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract fields from a downloaded html file

I have around 100 html files and in each html file I have 5-6 such paragraphs of a company and I need to extract the Name of the company from either the one after "title" or "/company" and then the number of employees and finally the location . <div class="search_result"> <div... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gubbu
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract user accounts and home directory from /etc/passwd.

I am trying to obtain all user accounts and their respective home directories. /etc/passwd contains the required information, but I want to filter it to only show the uid,username and home directory path. I am working on a Solaris 11 machine. I made a little headway so far, but I got stuck... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hijanoqu
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to extract multiple values from file and add two additional fields

In the attached file I am trying to use awk to extract multiple values and create the tab-delimited desired output. In the output R_Index is a the sequential # and Pre_Enrichment is defaulted to .. I can extract from the values to the side of the keywords, but most are above and I can not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to extract fields from a CSV i.e comma separated where some of the fields having comma as value?

can anyone help me!!!! How to I parse the CSV file file name : abc.csv (csv file) The above file containing data like abv,sfs,,hju,',',jkk wff,fst,,rgr,',',rgr ere,edf,erg,',',rgr,rgr I have a requirement like i have to extract different field and assign them into different... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: J.Jena
4 Replies
GETPWNAM(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       GETPWNAM(3)

NAME
getpwnam, getpwuid - get password file entry SYNOPSIS
#include <pwd.h> #include <sys/types.h> struct passwd *getpwnam(const char *name); struct passwd *getpwuid(uid_t uid); DESCRIPTION
The getpwnam() function returns a pointer to a structure containing the broken out fields of a line from /etc/passwd for the entry that matches the user name name. The getpwuid() function returns a pointer to a structure containing the broken out fields of a line from /etc/passwd for the entry that matches the user uid uid. The passwd structure is defined in <pwd.h> as follows: struct passwd { char *pw_name; /* user name */ char *pw_passwd; /* user password */ uid_t pw_uid; /* user id */ gid_t pw_gid; /* group id */ char *pw_gecos; /* real name */ char *pw_dir; /* home directory */ char *pw_shell; /* shell program */ }; RETURN VALUE
The getpwnam() and getpwuid() functions return a pointer to the passwd structure, or NULL if the matching entry is not found or an error occurs. ERRORS
ENOMEM Insufficient memory to allocate passwd structure. FILES
/etc/passwd password database file CONFORMING TO
SVID 3, POSIX, BSD 4.3 SEE ALSO
fgetpwent(3), getgrnam(3), getpwent(3), setpwent(3), endpwent(3), getpw(3), putpwent(3), passwd(5) GNU
1996-05-27 GETPWNAM(3)