Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remotely setting putty window title Post 302593607 by tsreyb on Friday 27th of January 2012 01:37:51 PM
Old 01-27-2012
Thanks for the tip on printf.

BTW I explicitly invoked /bin/echo so as to avoid any shell built-in echo. Furthermore, /bin/echo is the same version on both systems (i.e., gnu 5.97)

Also, I did check the manpage for echo, found the '-e' option and tried it. But it made no difference. I should have included that in the list of variations I tried!

Anyway, printf failed for me on the linux system, like this:

% printf "\033]0; JUST TESTING \007\c\n"
\c

(but it worked fine on the solaris system)

However, there is hope .. the printf on my solaris is version 8.10 from gnu coreutils, whereas it is an unknown version from the year 2006 on the linux system. I will upgrade printf and try it out.

thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

window title..?

how to echo some text onto the window title bar...in exceed client...so that we can know where we are in..in multiple hostnames kinda..thing.. any advice.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tintedwindow
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change putty title window?

Is it possible to change the putty window title from a Unix command line? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: akbar
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

putty title window?

I have implemented the solution from mschwage located in post https://www.unix.com/unix-advanced-expert-users/35784-change-putty-title-window.html; ie wt () { echo -n "^2;${@}^G" } This method is awesome!!!! The reason I am sending you this message is to get your assistance with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lwif
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

PuTTY TITLE

Is it possible to set the PuTTY title to show the current hostname of the terminal opened? I meant to say I would be rlogin between servers, that should be updated in PuTTTY title ? :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ./hari.sh
4 Replies

5. Linux

execute a program remotely using putty

hi all. I have a small program on a debian server which i need to execute remotely from a windows machine using putty. when i use putty to execute the program it starts running , but when i close the session the program stops running on the debian server as well. Can anyone guide me how... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I Get the Title of My Putty Window (Emulating an XTerm)

I have a Perl script that changes the terminal window title and I would like to reset it to the original value when I am done. We are using Putty which emulates xterm. We are not running X-Windows so I can't use something like xprop (can I?). I'm using XTerm control codes to change the title and I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NateTut
2 Replies

7. Linux

how to insert a title into a window in kshell

hi all, i am using a Ubuntu work station. i have following piece of code that works ok. But i cant figure out a way to insert a string call $Name into the title of the window i am opening. As you can see, i tried two different ways without a success. Can someone please help me out here? :( ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change putty title name

Hello all, I have a not so unix question for you guys(or maybe it is). I use PUTTY to login to serverA (my putty title shows as serverA.domainname.com) Now from ServerA i do ssh user@ServerB (i have ssh public private key setup)... now my question is when i do ssh and logon to... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdul.irfan2
20 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with putty window setting

hi friends, This is not a shell scripting related doubt, but still posting so that you can answer it ;) or redirect to correct place in this website. Many a times i have to open multiple putty sessions by duplicating a session and want to rename their tabs. For this activity i have to right... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kunwar
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting command output to putty window title.

Hi, Last 2 weeks I have searched many forums and i haven't found the answer for the question: How to get all command output to Putty title? Needed it for other programs to know when some jobs on a server is done and is it done right or wrong. Plink stdout and stdin wasn't working, i used many... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: domagaj
1 Replies
PRINTF(1)							   User Commands							 PRINTF(1)

NAME
printf - format and print data SYNOPSIS
printf FORMAT [ARGUMENT]... printf OPTION DESCRIPTION
Print ARGUMENT(s) according to FORMAT, or execute according to OPTION: --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit FORMAT controls the output as in C printf. Interpreted sequences are: " double quote NNN character with octal value NNN (1 to 3 digits) \ backslash a alert (BEL)  backspace c produce no further output f form feed new line carriage return horizontal tab v vertical tab xHH byte with hexadecimal value HH (1 to 2 digits) uHHHH Unicode (ISO/IEC 10646) character with hex value HHHH (4 digits) UHHHHHHHH Unicode character with hex value HHHHHHHH (8 digits) %% a single % %b ARGUMENT as a string with `' escapes interpreted, except that octal escapes are of the form or NNN and all C format specifications ending with one of diouxXfeEgGcs, with ARGUMENTs converted to proper type first. Variable widths are han- dled. NOTE: your shell may have its own version of printf, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's documentation for details about the options it supports. AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report printf bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
printf(3) The full documentation for printf is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and printf programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'printf invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 7.1 July 2010 PRINTF(1)