Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find a variable in a file and replace its value Post 302593306 by rbatte1 on Thursday 26th of January 2012 12:37:12 PM
Old 01-26-2012
Might be simpler to have a base script that never changes and you create the one you will actully run each time, e.g.

Code:
awk 'whatever commands to replace' fixed-base-script > script-ready-to-run

script-ready-to-run

Would that change in logic help?

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace text with a variable?

Is there a way that I can make the following work with using variables? perl -pi -e 's#blah#hrm#ig' replacetext but like this var=blah perl -pi -e 's#$var#hrm#ig' replacetext (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: doublejz
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace the value in a variable

I have a variable whose value is I="user1:x:1100:1200:ID for user1:/home/user1:/bin/ssh-dummy-shell" I want to replace the last part '/bin/ssh-dummy-shell' with '/bin/true' I tried using sed but it garbled sed 's/\/bin\/ssh-dummy-shell/\/bin\/true' $I Thanks for the help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aajmani
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace variable

Is there an easy way of doing this cat file1 jkasjhjgfg LTRIM(RTRIM(aa_bb_cde)) aragsfdg LTRIM(RTRIM(aa_bb_cde)) aregfafdgfg sdgsfdagdfg gadfg eafgsadgsa asdgsfdgag LTRIM(RTRIM(aa_bb_cde)) rfghsdfhd I want to replace each occurence of LTRIM(RTRIM($x)) with LENGTH(LTRIM(RTRIM($x)))=0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfredo123
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in a file w/ a variable value

I am trying to replace the default home page for several mac user accounts, I wrote a script that will hunt the files down and replace them with a pre-configured set. The problem I am having is that the download destination path for the browser is hard coded into a .plist (text config file) file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tret
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace with variable using sed or awk

hi, i have file say email.temp looks like Bell_BB 17 Bell_MONTHLY 888 SOLO_UNBEATABLE 721 and another file r3 Bell BB,Bell_BB Bell,Bell_MONTHLY SOLO,SOLO_UNBEATABLE i want email.temp files $1 say Bell_BB should be replaced by r3 Bell BB and Bell_MONTHLY by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghavendra.cse
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace string from file which contains variable and path - SH

e.g. /home/$USER/.config replace it with "" (empty) Is this possible? I think you should play a bit with sharps ## and sed:b: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace text in file using variable

Hi, I'm making a script that automaticaly set file size and path in xml file. I tried with : sed -i 's/BOOTPATH/TEST/g' file.xml it works fine but if I use a viriable : sed -i 's/BOOTPATH/$bootpathf/g' file.xml with this one, no change are made. I don't understand why. If a make a ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Toug
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in file with a variable value

Hi Fellows, I am new to shell, please help we me out in this.. i have file which some lines like this.. $$param1='12-jan-2011' $$param2='14-jan-2011' $$param3='30-jan-2011' . . .....so on.. I want to change $$param3 to '31-dec-2011'. i have variable which is storing(30-jan-2011 this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: victor369
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace with variable -sed

Hi, I have a ksh script where I am trying to mask the password in the log files. $loc - is my directory $PGUIDE_DB_USER_PSW - is a variable that holds the password I am looking for find $loc/logs -type f -exec sed -i "s/$PGUIDE_DB_USER_PSW/*****/"g {} \; I get an error: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitlib
2 Replies
LATD.CONF(5)							File Formats Manual						      LATD.CONF(5)

NAME
latd.conf - LAT configuration file SYNOPSIS
/etc/latd.conf DESCRIPTION
/etc/latd.conf is a shell script (run by /bin/sh) that is run when latd is started up using the latcp -s command. It contains commands used to customise lat for your site and usually consists of a list of latcp commands. latd.conf is run with a minimal PATH and a minimal environment. The variable $LATCP points to the latcp binary used to invoke the script. EXAMPLE # /etc/latd.conf # This is a sample configuration file for latd # it is run as s shell script from latcp -s with a minimal # environment and PATH. latcp should be invoked using the # environment variable $LATCP. # # You can fiddle with all the latd parameters you like in here, # the first service announcement will not be made until this # script completes. # # Set the multicast timeout to 30 seconds $LATCP -m 30 # Add another login service $LATCP -A -a ZAPHOD -r 100 # Add a queued reverse LAT service to a printer on a DECserver $LATCP -A -p /dev/lat/printer -Hdecserver -Vdecserver -Q # Only advertise our service in groups 1-10 and 200 $LATCP -G 1-10,200 exit SEE ALSO latcp(8), latd(8) LAT Server June 2 2000 LATD.CONF(5)