Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete multiple lines starting with a specific pattern Post 302593177 by ahamed101 on Thursday 26th of January 2012 02:32:18 AM
Old 01-26-2012
Code:
sed "/UPDATE\|SET LAST_UPD_TIMESTAMP\|WHERE/d" infile

Use -i option to make the changes inline.

--ahamed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines starting with XX or YY or ZZ or ....

Hi There! My final task for today is to delete lines starting with certain numbers for e.g., my text block is and i want to delete all lines starting with 11 or 17 or 21 I know i can use multiple sed commands like sed '/^11,/d' <filename> sed '/^17,/d' <filename> sed '/^21,/d'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orno
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

comment/delete a particular pattern starting from second line of the matching pattern

Hi, I have file 1.txt with following entries as shown: 0152364|134444|10.20.30.40|015236433 0233654|122555|10.20.30.50|023365433 ** ** ** In file 2.txt I have the following entries as shown: 0152364|134444|10.20.30.40|015236433 0233654|122555|10.20.30.50|023365433... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imas
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate lines between lines starting with a specific pattern

Hi, I have a file such as: --- >contig00001 length=35524 numreads=2944 gACGCCGCGCGCCGCGGCCAGGGCTGGCCCA CAGGCCGCGCGGCGTCGGCTGGCTGAG >contig00002 length=4242 numreads=43423 ATGCCGAAGGTCCGCCTGGGGCTGG CGCCGGGAGCATGTAGCG --- I would like to concatenate the lines not starting with ">"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: s052866
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete lines from a file which starts with a specific pattern

I need to delete those lines from a file, which starts with 45. How to do it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find entries, NOT starting with specific pattern

Hey,I have a file in following format >1 ABC........ >2 XYZ..... >3 ABC........ >4 MNO....... >5 ABC....... now I would like to find only those entries that doesn't start with ABC (specific pattern)e.g preferred output: >2 XYZ.... >4 MNO....... it will be nice if anybody how... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankitachaurasia
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete lines starting with a pattern

i have a file sample.txt containing i want to delete lines starting with 123 neglecting spaces and tabs. but not lines containing 123. i.e. i want files sample.txt as help me thanxx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yashwantkumar
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete lines starting with specific string?

Dear all, I would like to delete even lines starting with "N" together with their respective titles which are actually odd lines. Below is the example of input file. I would like to remove line 8 and 12 together with its title line, i.e., line 7 and 11, respectively.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: huiyee1
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines that contain a pattern from specific line to the end.

Gents, I am trying to delete all lines which start with "H" character, but keeping the fist header. Example In the input file I will delete all lines starting from line 8 which contents character "H" to the end of the file. I try sed '8,10000{/^H/d;}' file But as don't know the end... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiam912
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep -v lines starting with pattern 1 and not matching pattern 2

Hi all! Thanks for taking the time to view this! I want to grep out all lines of a file that starts with pattern 1 but also does not match with the second pattern. Example: Drink a soda Eat a banana Eat multiple bananas Drink an apple juice Eat an apple Eat multiple apples I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: demmel
8 Replies
PG_QUERY(3)															       PG_QUERY(3)

pg_query - Execute a query

SYNOPSIS
resource pg_query ([resource $connection], string $query) DESCRIPTION
pg_query(3) executes the $query on the specified database $connection. pg_query_params(3) should be preferred in most cases. If an error occurs, and FALSE is returned, details of the error can be retrieved using the pg_last_error(3) function if the connection is valid. Note Although $connection can be omitted, it is not recommended, since it can be the cause of hard to find bugs in scripts. Note This function used to be called pg_exec(3). pg_exec(3) is still available for compatibility reasons, but users are encouraged to use the newer name. PARAMETERS
o $connection - PostgreSQL database connection resource. When $connection is not present, the default connection is used. The default connection is the last connection made by pg_connect(3) or pg_pconnect(3). o $query - The SQL statement or statements to be executed. When multiple statements are passed to the function, they are automatically exe- cuted as one transaction, unless there are explicit BEGIN/COMMIT commands included in the query string. However, using multiple transactions in one function call is not recommended. Warning String interpolation of user-supplied data is extremely dangerous and is likely to lead to SQL injection vulnerabilities. In most cases pg_query_params(3) should be preferred, passing user-supplied values as parameters rather than substituting them into the query string. Any user-supplied data substituted directly into a query string should be properly escaped. RETURN VALUES
A query result resource on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 pg_query(3) example <?php $conn = pg_pconnect("dbname=publisher"); if (!$conn) { echo "An error occurred. "; exit; } $result = pg_query($conn, "SELECT author, email FROM authors"); if (!$result) { echo "An error occurred. "; exit; } while ($row = pg_fetch_row($result)) { echo "Author: $row[0] E-mail: $row[1]"; echo "<br /> "; } ?> Example #2 Using pg_query(3) with multiple statements <?php $conn = pg_pconnect("dbname=publisher"); // these statements will be executed as one transaction $query = "UPDATE authors SET author=UPPER(author) WHERE id=1;"; $query .= "UPDATE authors SET author=LOWER(author) WHERE id=2;"; $query .= "UPDATE authors SET author=NULL WHERE id=3;"; pg_query($conn, $query); ?> SEE ALSO
pg_connect(3), pg_pconnect(3), pg_fetch_array(3), pg_fetch_object(3), pg_num_rows(3), pg_affected_rows(3). PHP Documentation Group PG_QUERY(3)