Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers handling signals without race conditions Post 302592871 by aigoia on Wednesday 25th of January 2012 06:40:26 AM
Old 01-25-2012
handling signals without race conditions

Greetings,

I am writing a small program in C on UNIX, in which I am using (POSIX reliable) signals.

1. Suppose I have a signal : SIGX, and the corresponding signal handler : sigx_handler.

It is possible to receive SIGX in my process, and, while executing sigx_handler, to receive
again SIGX and to run again sigx_handler ?

What happens then ? sigx_handler (1st run) is interrupted, then it runs sigx_handler (2nd run),
then it resumes sigx_handler (1st run) ?

Is it possible to block SIGX, while running sigx_handler, and avoiding race conditions (in the C
code) in sigx_handler ? (That is, to run sigx_handler without interrupting it.) How to code this ?
I guess this implies some atomic operations...

2. Suppose my program handles SIGX, SIGY, SIGZ, using sigx_handler, sigy_handler, sigz_handler.
How to block, without race conditions, SIGY and SIGZ signals, when I enter SIGX handler (that is,
when I run sigx_handler) ?

Thank you.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

handling-create new SIGNALS

Hi, i cannot find in which file and function the signals are handled by default.Can anyone help me? How can i create a 33th signal? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Panos
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Errors in if conditions with to many OR conditions

Hi ALL I have a script where in i need to check for several values in if conditons but when i execute the script it throws error such as "TOO MANY ARGUMENTS" if then msg="BM VAR Issue :: bmaRequestVAR=$bmaRequestVAR , nltBMVAR=$nltBMVAR , bmaResponseVAR=$bmaResponseVAR ,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
10 Replies

3. AIX

How to create core through program at the time of crash by handling signals?

I am in process of writing a library which can make any application of my product capable of creating core in the application's log folder with a product friendly core file name programatically. In my library I am registering for certain signals e.g. SIGILL, SIGFPE, SIGBUS, SIGSEGV, SIGSYS, SIGABRT... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajeev_ks
1 Replies

4. Solaris

How to create core through program at the time of crash by handling signals?

I am in process of writing a library which can make any application of my product capable of creating core in the application's log folder with a product friendly core file name programatically. In my library I am registering for certain signals e.g. SIGILL, SIGFPE, SIGBUS, SIGSEGV, SIGSYS, SIGABRT... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeev_ks
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Handling Signals in System Calls

What will happen if signal comes while a system call is being executed? How it will be handled? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies