Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: transport errors in iostat
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers transport errors in iostat Post 302592829 by dyavuzy1 on Wednesday 25th of January 2012 04:24:21 AM
Old 01-25-2012
transport errors in iostat

Hi Unix experts,

I have a question regarding a disk failure seen in "iostat -Enm" output:

Code:
# iostat -Enm
c1t0d0          Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 7 Transport Errors: 9
Vendor: FUJITSU  Product: MAU3073NCSUN72G  Revision: 0802 Serial No: 0514F005M0
Size: 73.40GB <73400057856 bytes>
Media Error: 6 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 1 Recoverable: 0
Illegal Request: 0 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0
c1t1d0          Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0
Vendor: FUJITSU  Product: MAU3073NCSUN72G  Revision: 0802 Serial No: 0514F005G4
Size: 73.40GB <73400057856 bytes>
Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
Illegal Request: 0 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0
c0t0d0          Soft Errors: 31 Hard Errors: 114 Transport Errors: 0
Vendor: TOSHIBA  Product: DVD-ROM SD-R6112 Revision: 1731 Serial No:
Size: 0.00GB <0 bytes>
Media Error: 37 Device Not Ready: 65 No Device: 12 Recoverable: 0
Illegal Request: 30 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0

also see the following meessage related to transport issue:

Code:
# grep transport /var/adm/mess*
/var/adm/messages:Jan 12 13:31:35       SCSI transport failed: reason 'reset': retrying command

I wonder if disk c1t0d0 needs to be replaced due to these hard and transport errors...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

PLOGI failed state=Packet Transport error

Someone who can help me. the following error occur, what does it mean, and any possible solution you can give.thanks syslog: fp: NOTICE: fp(2): PLOGI to d5900 failed state=Packet Transport error , reason=No Connection (Database) $cat /var/adm/messages Nov 3 05:16:21 vfaus279 fp: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: o_m_g
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transport to another server within a script.

I'm not sure how to phrase this... We currently have a server that we have to load a special kind of file onto, to do this we have a script that someone on my team wrote years ago called emm <file>. We recently added another server to our system, so every file that's added on one has to be added... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

3. Solaris

iostat -nE with Hard Errors

iostat -nE returns the followings I want to know what is happening to my StorEDGE A1000? Can someone help me? It is a critical device. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nickychung
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Transport Error

Dear Friends, I am using Solaris 10 on Sun Sparc T5120 with 4 HDD(Raid).I am getting transport error in one of my mirrored HDD c1t2d0. Below is a screen shot. I have replaced the HDD with new one but still the same. Any one can help???? c1t2d0 Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris5.10
1 Replies

5. Solaris

SC3.2 issue - cluster transport configuration not right - resulting fail

I am trying to set up a two host cluster. trouble is with the cluster transport configuration. i'm using e1000g2 and g3 for the cluster transport. global0 and global1 are my two nodes, and I am running the scinstall from global1. i think i should be expecting, is this: The following... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustin
19 Replies

6. Solaris

What is the difference between softerrors,harderrors,transport errors?

what is the difference between softerrors,harderrors,transport errors? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
3 Replies

7. Solaris

iostat -En errors

I all, I would like to know what are the causes of : -soft error -harderror -transport error and how to avoid and repare them. I got the iostat out put below: atng-mm01% iostat -En | grep -i hard c0t0d0 Soft Errors: 1 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0 c0t0d1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaza
3 Replies

8. Programming

Problem transport endpoint is not connected

i've made a simple program that change a string from lowercase to uppercase and from uppercase to lowercase. Server works until start client, after client run server give this error: "recv server fallita: Transport endpoint is not connected" why? i think that stream closed too soon or not? below... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tafazzi87
1 Replies

9. Solaris

getpeername: Transport endpoint is not connected

Hi Folks, I am getting the following error in /var/adm/messages. Can any one help me out on this? ZXXXXXA:/# tail /var/adm/messages Oct 26 00:13:04 ZXXXXXA ftpd: setsockopt SO_KEEPALIVE Invalid argument Oct 26 00:13:04 ZXXXXXA ftpd: setsockopt (SO_OOBINLINE): Invalid argument Oct 26... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek.goel.piet
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Sense key unit attention & iostat hardware and transport errors on SAN disks

Hello, I'm trying to get to the bottom of SAN disk errors we've been seeing. Server is Sun Fire X4270 M2 running Solaris 10 8/11 u10 X86 since April 2012. SAN HBAs are SG-PCIE2FC-QF8-Z-Sun-branded Qlogic. SAN storage system is Hitachi VSP. We have 32 LUNs in use and another 8 LUNs not brought... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TKD
4 Replies
ssd(7D) 							      Devices								   ssd(7D)

NAME
ssd - Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop disk device driver SYNOPSIS
ssd@port,target:partition DESCRIPTION
The ssd driver supports Fibre Channel disk devices. The specific type of each disk is determined by the SCSI inquiry command and reading the volume label stored on block 0 of the drive. The volume label describes the disk geometry and partitioning; it must be present or the disk cannot be mounted by the system. The block-files access the disk using the system's normal buffering mechanism and are read and written without regard to physical disk records. A "raw" interface provides for direct transmission between the disk and the read or write buffer. A single read or write call usu- ally results in one I/O operation; raw I/O is therefore more efficient when many bytes are transmitted. Block file names are found in /dev/dsk; the names of the raw files are found in /dev/rdsk. I/O requests (such as lseek(2)) to the SCSI disk must have an offset that is a multiple of 512 bytes (DEV_BSIZE), or the driver returns an EINVAL error. If the transfer length is not a multiple of 512 bytes, the transfer count is rounded up by the driver. Partition 0 is normally used for the root file system on a disk, with partition 1 as a paging area (for example, swap). Partition 2 is used to back up the entire disk. Partition 2 normally maps the entire disk and may also be used as the mount point for secondary disks in the system. The rest of the disk is normally partition 6. For the primary disk, the user file system is located here. The device has associated error statistics. These must include counters for hard errors, soft errors and transport errors. Other data may be implemented as required. DEVICE STATISTICS SUPPORT
The device maintains I/O statistics for the device and for partitions allocated for that device. For each device/partition, the driver accumulates reads, writes, bytes read, and bytes written. The driver also initiates hi-resolution time stamps at queue entry and exit points to enable monitoring of residence time and cumulative residence-length product for each queue. Not all device drivers make per-partition IO statistics available for reporting. ssd and sd(7D) per-partition statistics are enabled by default but may be disabled in their configuration files. IOCTLS
Refer to dkio(7I). ERRORS
EACCES Permission denied. EBUSY The partition was opened exclusively by another thread. EFAULT The argument was a bad address. EINVAL Invalid argument. EIO An I/O error occurred. ENOTTY The device does not support the requested ioctl function. ENXIO When returned during open(2), this error indicates the device does not exist. EROFS The device is a read-only device. CONFIGURATION
You configure the ssd driver by defining properties in the ssd.conf file. The ssd driver supports the following properties: enable-partition-kstats The default value is 1, which causes partition IO statistics to be maintained. Set this value to zero to prevent the driver from recording partition statistics. This slightly reduces the CPU overhead for IO, mimimizes the amount of sar(1) data collected and makes these statistics unavailable for reporting by iostat(1M) even though the -p/-P option is specified. Regardless of this setting, disk IO statistics are always maintained. FILES
ssd.conf Driver configuration file /dev/dsk/cntndnsn block files /dev/rdsk/cntndnsn raw files cn is the controller number on the system. tn 7-bit disk loop identifier, such as switch setting dn SCSI lun n sn partition n (0-7) SEE ALSO
sar(1), format(1M), iostat(1M), ioctl(2), lseek(2), open(2), read(2), write(2), driver.conf(4), cdio(7I), dkio(7I) ANSI Small Computer System Interface-2 (SCSI-2) ANSI X3.272-1996, Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop (FC-AL) Fibre Channel - Private Loop SCSI Direct Attach (FC-PLDA) DIAGNOSTICS
Error for command '<command name>' Error Level: Fatal Requested Block <n>, Error Block: <m>, Sense Key: <sense key name>, Vendor '<vendor name>': ASC = 0x<a> (<ASC name>), ASCQ = 0x<b>, FRU = 0x<c> The command indicated by <command name> failed. The Requested Block is the block where the transfer started and the Error Block is the block that caused the error. Sense Key, ASC, and ASCQ information is returned by the target in response to a request sense command. Check Condition on REQUEST SENSE A REQUEST SENSE command completed with a check condition. The original command will be retried a number of times. Label says <m> blocks Drive says <n> blocks There is a discrepancy between the label and what the drive returned on the READ CAPACITY command. Not enough sense information The request sense data was less than expected. Request Sense couldn't get sense data The REQUEST SENSE command did not transfer any data. Reservation Conflict The drive was reserved by another initiator. SCSI transport failed: reason 'xxxx' : {retrying|giving up} The host adapter has failed to transport a command to the target for the reason stated. The driver will either retry the command or, ulti- mately, give up. Unhandled Sense Key <n> The REQUEST SENSE data included an invalid sense key. Unit not Ready. Additional sense code 0x<n> The drive is not ready. corrupt label - bad geometry The disk label is corrupted. corrupt label - label checksum failed The disk label is corrupted. corrupt label - wrong magic number The disk label is corrupted. device busy too long The drive returned busy during a number of retries. disk not responding to selection The drive was probably powered down or died. i/o to invalid geometry The geometry of the drive could not be established. incomplete read/write - retrying/giving up There was a residue after the command completed normally. logical unit not ready The drive is not ready. no bp for disk label A bp with consistent memory could not be allocated. no mem for property Free memory pool exhausted. no memory for disk label Free memory pool exhausted. no resources for dumping A packet could not be allocated during dumping. offline Drive went offline; probably powered down. requeue of command fails<n> Driver attempted to retry a command and experienced a transport error. ssdrestart transport failed <n> Driver attempted to retry a command and experienced a transport error. transfer length not modulo <n> Illegal request size. transport rejected <n> Host adapter driver was unable to accept a command. unable to read label Failure to read disk label. unit does not respond to selection Drive went offline; probably powered down. SunOS 5.10 30 May 2003 ssd(7D)