Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK/Shell script for reading text file Post 302592804 by suddhasatwa_bha on Wednesday 25th of January 2012 01:28:31 AM
Old 01-25-2012
Thanks, but giving error ...

Thanks for the above suggestions, Guru, but it is failing with below error:
Code:
grep: illegal option -- o
Usage: grep -hblcnsviw pattern file . . .

I am using the below OS:
Code:
SunOS 5.10 Generic_144488-17 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise

Please advice.

Last edited by Franklin52; 01-25-2012 at 03:58 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags for code and data samples, thank you

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading file names from a file and executing the relative file from shell script

Hi How can i dynamically read files names from a list file and execute them from a single shell script. Please help its urgent Thanks in Advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushilrai
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

file reading through shell script

For reading a file through shell script I am using yhe code : while read line do echo $line done<data.txt It reads all the line of that file data.txt. Content of data.txt looks like: code=y sql=y total no of sql files=4 a.sql b.sql c.sql d.sql cpp=n c=y total no of c files=1 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dip
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

File reading problem via shell script

Hi, Data file named parameter contains : DB=y Alter_def.sql Create_abc.sql SQL=y database.sql my_data.sql To read this file I use var_sql=$(awk -F= '$1 == "SQL" { print $2 }' parameter.txt) if then sql_f_name=`grep "\.sql" parameter.txt` echo $sql_f_name fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dip
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading the Properties File From Shell script

Hi, I am new to the shell script please I need help for following question. I have properties file name called "com.test.properties" I have No of key values in this properties. com.person.name = xyz com.person.age = 55 com.person.address = hello I want read this properties but i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venukjs
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a word from a text file into shell script

Hi, I am new to shell programming.I need to write a script that would accept a word from each line fo an input text file.Can anyone help me with this?Exact requirement: word1 word2 word3 (separated by space) .Now I need word3 from each such line in the text file. Thanks in Advance, Manish (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish007
3 Replies

6. Programming

awk processing / Shell Script Processing to remove columns text file

Hello, I extracted a list of files in a directory with the command ls . However this is not my computer, so the ls functionality has been revamped so that it gives the filesizes in front like this : This is the output of ls command : I stored the output in a file filelist 1.1M... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

C-Shell script help reading from txt file

I need to write a C-Shell script with these properties: It should accept two arguments on the command line. The first argument is the name of a file which contains a list of names, and the second argument is the name of a directory. For each file in the directory, the script should print the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cerce
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating new users using a text file as imput (using only shell script and/or awk)

I need somebody who could help with an exercise. You have a text file called users.txt with this info inside: users.txt: user1:1234:/home/homedir1 ; user2:1234:/home/homedir2 ; user3:1234:/home/homedir3 ; user4:1234:/home/homedir4 ; The script should create an user using the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcosruiz
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading XML file and print the values in the text file using Linux shell script

hi guys, i want help... Reding XML file and print the values into the text file using linux shell script file as per below xml file <sequence> <Filename>aldorzum.doc</Filename> <DivisionCode>US</DivisionCode> <ContentType>Template</ContentType> <ProductCode>VIMZIM</ProductCode> </sequence>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sravanreddy
1 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)