Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: OEL5.5 hot add disk
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat OEL5.5 hot add disk Post 302592689 by msarro on Tuesday 24th of January 2012 02:08:29 PM
Old 01-24-2012
This is documentation we have tested and verified in our QA lab, and its known to be working on RHEL 5.5 with a P2000 G3 FC. Its based on the RH online storage guide. It assumes you're using multipathing.

List the disks by typing
multipath -l

This will give you the current host and lun numbers (x:0:0:n, where x is the host number, n is the lun number).
A sample output is below:
Code:
[root@baschinfs01 ~]# multipath -l                                              
mpath14 (3600c0ff000118652f9351f4e01000000) dm-16 HP,P2000 G3 FC                
[size=1.8T][features=1 queue_if_no_path][hwhandler=0][rw]                       
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]                                              
 \_ 2:0:0:6 sdy        65:128 [active][undef]                                   
 \_ 5:0:0:6 sdab       65:176 [active][undef]                                   
\_ round-robin 0 [prio=0][enabled]                                              
 \_ 3:0:0:6 sdz        65:144 [active][undef]                                   
 \_ 4:0:0:6 sdaa       65:160 [active][undef]

Once you've created the lun on the SAN, type (again, where x is the host number, n is the lun)
Code:
echo "0 0 n" > /sys/class/scsi_host/hostX/scan

For each host number that should have access to the lun.

So looking back at our sample it'd be:
Code:
[root@baschinfs01 ~]# echo "0 0 6" > /sys/class/scsi_host/host2/scan            
[root@baschinfs01 ~]# echo "0 0 6" > /sys/class/scsi_host/host3/scan            
[root@baschinfs01 ~]# echo "0 0 6" > /sys/class/scsi_host/host4/scan            
[root@baschinfs01 ~]# echo "0 0 6" > /sys/class/scsi_host/host5/scan

Next type
Code:
multipath
multipath -l

and you should now see the new device. At that point you should be able to add the volume to oracle ASM.

If that doesn't work, you can reference the online storage config docs here:
Online Storage Reconfiguration Guide

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

Too Hot Here

Officially, we had high of 96°F with a relative humidity of 52% here in Rockville Md today. But my car's thermometer said the outside temp was 110° when I first got in this afternoon. After driving for 30 minutes it cooled down to 103°. I actually have a nasty burn on my hand just from leaning... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
19 Replies

2. Linux

Need suggestions before install OEL5.0 on IBM3400

Hi, I need to install Oracle Enterprise Linux 5.0 on IBM3400.Before start it,I expect your valuable suggestions regarding partition size...etc. This server is having 146 GB of hard disk and 4GB of RAM.I need to create 15 restricted users on this server.These 15 users will access their folders... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: masatheesh
1 Replies

3. Solaris

( VxVM ) How to add the removed disk back to previous disk group

Previously , i remove the disk by #vxdg -g testdg -k rmdisk testdg02 But i got error when i -k adddisk bash-2.03# vxdisk list DEVICE TYPE DISK GROUP STATUS c0t0d0s2 auto:none - - online invalid c0t1d0s2 auto:none ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: waibabe
1 Replies

4. AIX

how to hot remove/add a tape

hi all :) i'd like to remove a broken scsi tape device from a system p5 520. it is the only device on the external scsi hookup. then i would like to add a new scsi tape device (same model). is this, and if - how ?, doable without rebooting? (using aix 5.3) best regards, deuter (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deuter
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Disk Storage Need to Add more Disk

Hi, Anyone can help me, just want to confirm, if possible adding a disk storage that we have a RAWDATA with +ASM in our database. If possible, what would you recommend "workaround used" from us to do and the preparation. And also how long the downtime will take. Our disk continuous to grow,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fpalero
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

hot-add disk in oracle enterprise linux 5.5

Hi all, I have an Oracle Enterprise Linux 5.5 server which is a virtual guest on a vSphere host. I have provisioned 500GB disk space from SAN. I then migrated the VM from a 200GB disk onto the new 500GB disk. I then increased the disk space allocated to the VMware to the maximum size of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tommyk
7 Replies

7. AIX

IBM SAN STORAGE HOT SPARE DISK

Hello, I have DS4000 IBM SAN Storage ( aka FastT Storage ) One of my disks has failed and I had a hot spare disk covering all the arrays. As the disk failed, immediately the hotspare disk took over the failed disk ( see the JPEG in the attachment ) My Question: How can I make the hotspare... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error after first boot OEL5.8

Server Model HP Proliant DL380P, Gen 8 Raid Controller= HP smart Array P420i Operating system Installation OEl5.8 On first boot after OS installation ERROR: Red Hat nash Version 5.119.6 starting -300.10.1.el5uek)’ Mounting proc Filesystem Reading all physical volume this may take a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sohail Jafferi
0 Replies

9. Red Hat

Error after first boot OEL5.8

Server Model HP Proliant DL380P, Gen 8 Raid Controller= HP smart Array P420i Operating system Installation OEl5.8 On first boot after OS installation ERROR: Red Hat nash Version 5.119.6 starting -300.10.1.el5uek)' Mounting proc Filesystem Reading all physical volume this may take... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sohail Jafferi
1 Replies

10. SuSE

Hot-add memory to SuSE / VMware virtual server

Hi, Here is the issue. Some more memory has been added from vCenter to the virtual machine. From the virtual machine running SuSE 11 SP3. # modprobe acpiphp # modprobe acpi-memhotplug # grep -v online /sys/devices/system/memory/*/state # It looks like there is no offline memory, but free... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixlover
1 Replies
metahs(1M)						  System Administration Commands						metahs(1M)

NAME
metahs - manage hot spares and hot spare pools SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/metahs [-s setname] -a all component /usr/sbin/metahs [-s setname] -a hot_spare_pool [component] /usr/sbin/metahs [-s setname] -d hot_spare_pool [component] /usr/sbin/metahs [-s setname] -d all component /usr/sbin/metahs [-s setname] -e component /usr/sbin/metahs [-s setname] -r hot_spare_pool component-old /usr/sbin/metahs [-s setname] -r all component-old component-new /usr/sbin/metahs [-s setname] -i [hot_spare_pool...] DESCRIPTION
The metahs command manages existing hot spares and hot spare pools. It is used to add, delete, enable, and replace components (slices) in hot spare pools. Like the metainit command, the metahs command can also create an initial hot spare pool. The metahs command does not replace a component of a metadevice. This function is performed by the metareplace command. Hot spares are always in one of three states: available, in-use, or broken. Available hot spares are running and ready to accept data, but are not currently being written to or read from. In-use hot spares are currently being written to and read from. Broken hot spares are out of service and should be repaired. The status of hot spares is displayed when metahs is invoked with the -i option. Solaris Volume Manager supports storage devices and logical volumes, including hot spares, greater than 1 terabyte (TB) when Solaris 10 is running a 64-bit kernel. If a system with large volumes or hot spares is rebooted under a 32-bit Solaris 10 kernel, the large volumes are visible through metastat output, but they cannot be accessed, modified or deleted, and no new large volumes can be created. Any volumes or file systems on a large volume in this situation are also unavailable. If a system with large volumes is rebooted under a version of Solaris prior to Solaris 10, Solaris Volume Manager will not start. All large volumes must be removed before Solaris Volume Manager runs under another version of the Solaris Operating Environment. OPTIONS
Root privileges are required for any of the following options except -i. The following options are supported: -a all component Add component to all hot spare pools. all is not case sensitive. -a hot_spare_pool [component] Add the component to the specified hot_spare_pool. hot_spare_pool is created if it does not already exist. -d all component Delete component from all the hot spare pools. The component cannot be deleted if it is in the in-use state. -d hot_spare_pool [component] Delete hot_spare_pool, if the hot_spare_pool is both empty and not referenced by a metadevice. If component is specified, it is deleted from the hot_spare_pool. Hot spares in the in-use state cannot be deleted. -e component Enable component to be available for use as a hot spare. The component can be enabled if it is in the broken state and has been repaired. -i [hot_spare_pool...] Display the status of the specified hot_spare_pool or for all hot spare pools if one is not specified. -r all component-old component-new Replace component-old with component-new in all hot spare pools which have the component associated. Components cannot be replaced from any hot spare pool if the old hot spare is in the in-use state. -r hot_spare_pool component-old component-new Replace component-old with component-new in the specified hot_spare_pool. Components cannot be replaced from a hot spare pool if the old hot spare is in the in-use state. -s setname Specify the name of the diskset on which metahs works. Using the -s option causes the command to perform its administrative function within the specified diskset. Without this option, the command performs its function on local hot spare pools. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: component The logical name for the physical slice (partition) on a disk drive, such as /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s2. hot_spare_pool Hot spare pools must be of the form hspnnn, where nnn is a number in the range 000-999. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Adding a Hot Spare to a Hot Spare Pool The following example adds a hot spare /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7 to a hot spare pool hsp003: # metahs -a hsp003 c0t0d0s7 When the hot spare is added to the pool, the existing order of the hot spares already in the pool is preserved. The new hot spare is added at the end of the list of hot spares in the hot spare pool specified. Example 2: Adding a Hot Spare to All Currently Defined Pools This example adds a hot spare to the hot spare pools that are currently defined: # metahs -a all c0t0d0s7 The keyword all in this example specifies adding the hot spare, /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7, to all the hot spare pools. Example 3: Deleting a Hot Spare This example deletes a hot spare, /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7, from a hot spare pool, hsp003: # metahs -d hsp003 c0t0d0s7 When you delete a hot spare, the position of the remaining hot spares in the pool changes to reflect the new order. For instance, if in this example /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7 were the second of three hot spares, after deletion the third hot spare would move to the second position. Example 4: Replacing a Hot Spare This example replaces a hot spare that was previously defined: # metahs -r hsp001 c0t1d0s0 c0t3d0s0 In this example, the hot spare /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s0 is replaced by /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s0. The order of the hot spares does not change. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWmdu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mdmonitord(1M), metaclear(1M), metadb(1M), metadetach(1M), metainit(1M), metaoffline(1M), metaonline(1M), metaparam(1M), metarecover(1M), metarename(1M), metareplace(1M), metaroot(1M), metaset(1M), metassist(1M), metastat(1M), metasync(1M), metattach(1M), md.tab(4), md.cf(4), mddb.cf(4), md.tab(4), attributes(5), md(7D) Solaris Volume Manager Administration Guide WARNINGS
Do not create large (>1 TB) volumes if you expect to run the Solaris Operating Environment with a 32-bit kernel or if you expect to use a version of the Solaris Operating Environment prior to Solaris 10. SunOS 5.10 8 Aug 2003 metahs(1M)