Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Which is best OS for Desktop
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Which is best OS for Desktop Post 302592634 by Corona688 on Tuesday 24th of January 2012 11:26:54 AM
Old 01-24-2012
That would've been good to mention in the first place, since it changes the picture a lot. Development can be a pain in a lot of otherwise-good distros.

I've heard good things about SuSe for development though, it's apparently got a good enough toolchain arrangement for cross-compiling, which isn't easy at the best of times. And it's RPM based, not debian-based.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

customizing desktop

I need help editing my openwin file. I've got it all set up so the options I normally use (xman, cmdtools, xeyes, printtool) automatically come up when I log on, but it won't read my -geometry entries. I got them by right-clicking on the desktop, but apparently they need to be entered a certain... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdienlin
0 Replies

2. Solaris

i cant get to my desktop

i just tryed to install solaris 10.. it installed fine.. but when i restarted it and tried to use it.. i get a message that says: The X server cannot be started on display :0... what do i do? :confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiimcody1
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cant get into desktop

I am a newb linux user. And i am running suse 9.3 pro. When i first installed it a couple of days ago, it booted into the desktop fine the first four or five times. And not when i turn on my computer and boot linux and loads the devices, then it prompts me... UserName: Password: (which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: derekmpage
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

desktop cube

hey. i was wondering if some one could tell me how to get install this on my open suse linux. http://en.opensuse.org/Xgl it looks pretty handy, but im new to linux and im unsure how to proceed. thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bebop1111116
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

remote desktop

i want to access my group users desktop. can i did that by using xwd and xwud? else what can i do for that? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakshmananindia
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Desktop Resolution

Hi friends, i had small problem in my home pc i install solaris 10 but GUI is very big cannot view any thing, but i can open terminal where with very difficulty is there any command to re size my resolution some thing like 1024. if not i want to log in default console other than GUI only terminal... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurva
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

framebuffer desktop

How to set up a framebuffer desktop (environment) / no X desktop (environment)? In my case: Debian etch, allready with framebuffer but I mean that I have in framebuffer all I use in X - also read pdf (without hanging up the whole system..) and so on. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Action
3 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Which OS you use for Desktop

I am on Solaris 10 cat /etc/release Solaris 10 10/09 s10x_u8wos_08a X86 Copyright 2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Use is subject to license terms. Assembled 16 September 2009 (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
16 Replies

9. Linux

Linux Desktop OS

Right, I know this topic has more or less been done to death, however, I'm bringing it up again. I'm planning on moving to Linux as a full time desktop OS for my home system. I don't want to run a security distro, or anything that runs as root and just use my Windows OS in a VM when I need to use... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3therk1ll
11 Replies
STR_WORD_COUNT(3)							 1							 STR_WORD_COUNT(3)

str_word_count - Return information about words used in a string

SYNOPSIS
mixed str_word_count (string $string, [int $format], [string $charlist]) DESCRIPTION
Counts the number of words inside $string. If the optional $format is not specified, then the return value will be an integer representing the number of words found. In the event the $format is specified, the return value will be an array, content of which is dependent on the $format. The possible value for the $format and the resultant outputs are listed below. For the purpose of this function, 'word' is defined as a locale dependent string containing alphabetic characters, which also may contain, but not start with "'" and "-" characters. PARAMETERS
o $string - The string o $format - Specify the return value of this function. The current supported values are: o 0 - returns the number of words found o 1 - returns an array containing all the words found inside the $string o 2 - returns an associative array, where the key is the numeric position of the word inside the $string and the value is the actual word itself o $charlist - A list of additional characters which will be considered as 'word' RETURN VALUES
Returns an array or an integer, depending on the $format chosen. CHANGELOG
+--------+--------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+--------------------------------+ | 5.1.0 | | | | | | | Added the $charlist parameter | | | | +--------+--------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 A str_word_count(3) example <?php $str = "Hello fri3nd, you're looking good today!"; print_r(str_word_count($str, 1)); print_r(str_word_count($str, 2)); print_r(str_word_count($str, 1, 'aaac3')); echo str_word_count($str); ?> The above example will output: Array ( [0] => Hello [1] => fri [2] => nd [3] => you're [4] => looking [5] => good [6] => today ) Array ( [0] => Hello [6] => fri [10] => nd [14] => you're [29] => looking [46] => good [51] => today ) Array ( [0] => Hello [1] => fri3nd [2] => you're [3] => looking [4] => good [5] => today ) 7 SEE ALSO
explode(3), preg_split(3), split(3), count_chars(3), substr_count(3). PHP Documentation Group STR_WORD_COUNT(3)