Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris logs - Tracking failed attempts from my host Post 302592173 by bartus11 on Monday 23rd of January 2012 05:12:29 AM
Old 01-23-2012
I found character missing in this code. Working version is:
Code:
nohup dtrace -n 'syscall::connect:entry/execname=="ssh"/{printf ("uid: %d, command: %s",uid,curpsinfo->pr_psargs)}' > /var/adm/ssh_logins &

I would ask for your system administrator to run this code. After he does that, in /var/adm/ssh_logins lines like that will appear when someone executes ssh command:
Code:
  0   4334                    connect:entry uid: 54321, command: ssh root@localhost
  0   4334                    connect:entry uid: 0, command: ssh locked_account@localhost

On the right side of the file you will find uid of the user that executed ssh command (red) and where he wanted to connect (blue). You can then grep account/host information from that file. I hope this explanation makes it clearer...

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Denying IPaddress for Multiple Failed Login Attempts

Hi. I would like to be able to deny IP address for too many failed login attemps (either from ssh, sftp, ftp, etc). The system I wish this to work on is an AIX 5.1 system. I'm new to AIX but I'm a linux user. There is a program for linux called fail2ban which reads from the log files and see if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: metzgerh
1 Replies

2. AIX

ftp check for failed attempts

Hi, I have created the below ftp script to put files over to our capacity server, the check at the end works if ftp fails to run however if the script cannot login or the transfer itself failed there is no warnings. Does anyone know the syntax to trap the erorr codes or to put a check within... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chlawren
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a script that executes when a user attempts to delete history logs

Hi, I have a linux redhat 9 server and I am concerned about the security on that server. I would like to be able to write a script that records all the commands that were typed at the command prompt before the user calls the 'history -c' command and deletes all the history. I was thinking about... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mishkamima
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Another question for tracking failed logins via script

Hello Experts, I have this initial shell script that tracks failed login attempts: #!/bin/bash #Fetch failed user logins to file failed-logins.txt grep -i failed /var/log/secure | awk '{ print $1, $2" ", $3" ", $9" ", $11 }' > failed-logins.txt #Splitting the failed-logins in... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxgeek
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

TCP failed connection attempts from netstat -s

Dear experts, I am seeing a lot of TCP failed connection attempts from "netstat -s" on one of our servers. How can I pin point what connection failed and what are the ports involved? Any tools/commands I can dig in deeper to diag. what went wrong on these "failed connection attempts"? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cache51
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Job tracking in logs

I have two log files from two different days and some jobs start on one day and finish on the next. I also have jobs that start and then don't finish until other jobs start and finish. I'm trying to create a csv file with job name, start time and end time in the order that the jobs started. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wawa
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Need to recover/move diskgroup from failed host to another host

Hi All I am having VxVm on two Solaris hosts. host1 is using disk group dgHR. right now this server went down due to hardware fault. Not I need to import this dgHR into host2 server. Please let me know the procedure for the same. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amity
1 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

Failed SSHD Login Attempts (15,000 per day) - Is that a lot compared to your server?

The purpose of this thread is for everyone to follow the same methodology so we can create a future table, for the benefit of all, that shows how many failed login attempts (hacking) per day per server (and per minute) are happening. This is not a thread on writing scripts or creating... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
10 Replies
pam_unix_auth(5)					Standards, Environments, and Macros					  pam_unix_auth(5)

NAME
pam_unix_auth - PAM authentication module for UNIX SYNOPSIS
pam_unix_auth.so.1 DESCRIPTION
The pam_unix_auth module implements pam_sm_authenticate(), which provides functionality to the PAM authentication stack. It provides func- tions to verify that the password contained in the PAM item PAM_AUTHTOK is the correct password for the user specified in the item PAM_USER. If PAM_REPOSITORY is specified, then user's passwd is fetched from that repository. Otherwise, the default nsswitch.conf(4) repository is searched for that user. For accounts in the name services which support automatic account locking, the account may be config- ured to be automatically locked (see user_attr(4) and policy.conf(4)) after multiple failed login attempts. If the number of successive failures equals or exceeds RETRIES, the account is locked and PAM_MAXTRIES is returned. Currently, only the "files" repository (see passwd(4) and shadow(4)) supports automatic account locking. A successful authentication by this module clears the failed login counter and reports the number of failed attempts since the last successful authentication. Authentication service modules must implement both pam_sm_authenticate() and pam_sm_setcred(). To allow replacability of the authentication portion of UNIX authentication, pam_sm_setcred() in this module always returns PAM_IGNORE. This module should be stacked with pam_unix_cred(5) to ensure a successful return from pam_setcred(3PAM). The following options can be passed to the module: nowarn Turn off warning messages. server_policy If the account authority for the user, as specified by PAM_USER, is a server, do not apply the Unix policy from the passwd entry in the name service switch. nolock Regardless of the automatic account locking setting for the account, do not lock the account, increment or clear the failed login count. The nolock option allows for exempting account locking on a per service basis. ERRORS
The following error codes are returned from pam_sm_authenticate(): PAM_AUTH_ERR Authentication failure. PAM_BUF_ERR Memory buffer error. PAM_IGNORE Ignores module, not participating in result. PAM_MAXTRIES Maximum number of retries exceeded. PAM_PERM_DENIED Permission denied. PAM_SUCCESS Successfully obtains authentication token. PAM_SYSTEM_ERR System error. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN No account present for user. The following error codes are returned from pam_sm_setcred(): PAM_IGNORE Ignores this module regardless of the control flag. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT Level |MT-Safe with exceptions | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
login(1), passwd(1), useradd(1M), usermod(1M), roleadd(1M), rolemod(1M), libpam(3LIB), pam(3PAM), pam_authenticate(3PAM), pam_set- cred(3PAM), syslog(3C), pam.conf(4), passwd(4), policy.conf(4), nsswitch.conf(4), shadow(4), user_attr(4), attributes(5), pam_auth- tok_check(5), pam_authtok_get(5), pam_authtok_store(5), pam_dhkeys(5), pam_passwd_auth(5), pam_unix_account(5), pam_unix_session(5) NOTES
The interfaces in libpam(3LIB) are MT-Safe only if each thread within the multi-threaded application uses its own PAM handle. The pam_unix(5) module is no longer supported. Similar functionality is provided by pam_authtok_check(5), pam_authtok_get(5), pam_auth- tok_store(5), pam_dhkeys(5), pam_passwd_auth(5),pam_setcred(3PAM), pam_unix_account(5), pam_unix_cred(5), pam_unix_session(5). If the PAM_REPOSITORY item_type is set and a service module does not recognize the type, the service module does not process any informa- tion, and returns PAM_IGNORE. If the PAM_REPOSITORY item_type is not set, a service module performs its default action. SunOS 5.10 2 Aug 2004 pam_unix_auth(5)