Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting script to parse the properties file Post 302592040 by prashdeep on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 12:32:53 PM
Old 01-22-2012
script to parse the properties file

Hi Friends,
I have a requirement to parse a properties file having a key=value pairs.
i need to count the number of key value pairs in the properties file and iterate through each key-value pair. I have written the script to read the number of lines from the property file, but cannot iterate through the count since the total number of lines is in string. Can you please help me in completing the below script.

Kindly find the script below
Code:
#declaring the propertie file
 . appl.properties
#expression to count the number of lines excluding the blank lines
lines= cat appl.properties | sed '/^\s*$/d' | wc -l
echo "Number of lines is $lines"
for ((i=0;i -le 4; i++ ));
do
 echo "pradeep";

done

sample properties file

Code:
#key=value
firstname=Pradeep
lastname=kumar
country=India
language=English

Desired output from shell script:

It should read the number of line which is 4. And then iterate 4 times using for loop and then printing the name and the value for each key value.

-- please use code tags

Last edited by prashdeep; 01-22-2012 at 09:51 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do properties effect script?

Hi, I have noticed that rm -if will perform completely different to rm -fi. Whats the pattern of how I put my options to the script in relation to how it will act. i.e rm -fi treat the remove as interative but rm -if treats it as forced Thansk, Chris. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chiefos
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File properties

Hi , I do have a line in my code as follows: if ] ; then ... else ... fi What does the -z does ? Similarly there is -s in some other part of the code. I guess there are many options like this.. Can anybody please tell what all options are available and what do they mean ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: risshanth
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help!!! Shell script to parse data file.

I am faced with a :confused: tricky problem to parse a data file ( May not be a tricky problem to the scripting guru's ). Here is what I am faced with. I have a file with multiple rows of data and the rows are not of fixed length. "|" is used as a delimiters for individual columns and each row... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yajaykumar
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shell script to parse html file

hi all, i have a html file something similar to this. <tr class="evenrow"> <td class="data">added</td><td class="data">xyz@abc.com</td> <td class="data">filename.sql</td><td class="modifications-data">08/25/2009 07:58:40</td><td class="data">Added TK prof script</td> </tr> <tr... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sais
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading the Properties File From Shell script

Hi, I am new to the shell script please I need help for following question. I have properties file name called "com.test.properties" I have No of key values in this properties. com.person.name = xyz com.person.age = 55 com.person.address = hello I want read this properties but i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venukjs
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to parse a file faster

My example file is as given below: conn=1 uid=oracle conn=2 uid=db2 conn=3 uid=oracle conn=4 uid=hash conn=5 uid=skher conn=6 uid=oracle conn=7 uid=mpalkar conn=8 uid=anarke conn=1 op=-1 msgId=-1 - fd=104 slot=104 LDAPS connection from 10.10.5.6 to 10.18.6.5 conn=2 op=-1 msgId=-1 -... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sags007_99
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help to parse csv file with shell script

Hello ! I am very aware that this is not the first time this question is asked here, because I have already read a lot of previous answers, but none of them worked, so... As said in the title, I want to read a csv file with a bash script. Here is a sample of the file: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grhyll
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to parse bookmarks file

I am using Internet Explorer v10 at work and regularly need to import my personal Firefox bookmarks over. Long story short, I have found the import falling over on any bookmark elements which are over 256 characters. The bookmark file contains bookmarks of this format: <DT><A... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozgadgetguy
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script parse file Linux

Hi all, I need help for a script that pulls out a series of numbers from a file (attached file) Basically I need a parse to write me in a variable: 9d424312 Can someone help me? Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gianvitolinuxs
2 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Script parse file

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Hi all, I need help for a script that pulls out a series of numbers from a file (attached file) Basically I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gianvitolinuxs
1 Replies
HWDB(7) 							       hwdb								   HWDB(7)

NAME
hwdb - Hardware Database DESCRIPTION
The hardware database is a key-value store for associating modalias-like keys to udev-property-like values. It is used primarily by udev to add the relevant properties to matching devices, but it can also be queried directly. HARDWARE DATABASE FILES
The hwdb files are read from the files located in the system hwdb directory /lib/udev/hwdb.d and the local administration directory /etc/udev/hwdb.d. All hwdb files are collectively sorted and processed in lexical order, regardless of the directories in which they live. However, files with identical filenames replace each other. Files in /etc have the highest priority and take precedence over files with the same name in /lib. This can be used to override a system-supplied hwdb file with a local file if needed; a symlink in /etc with the same name as a hwdb file in /lib, pointing to /dev/null, disables that hwdb file entirely. hwdb files must have the extension .hwdb; other extensions are ignored. Each hwdb file contains data records consisting of matches and associated key-value pairs. Every record in the hwdb starts with one or more match strings, specifying a shell glob to compare the lookup string against. Multiple match lines are specified in consecutive lines. Every match line is compared individually, and they are combined by OR. Every match line must start at the first character of the line. The match lines are followed by one or more key-value pair lines, which are recognized by a leading space character. The key name and value are separated by "=". An empty line signifies the end of a record. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored. In case multiple records match a given lookup string, the key-value pairs from all records are combined. If a key is specified multiple times, the value from the record with the highest priority is used (each key can have only a single value). The priority is higher when the record is in a file that sorts later lexicographically, and in case of records in the same file, later records have higher priority. The content of all hwdb files is read by systemd-hwdb(8) and compiled to a binary database located at /etc/udev/hwdb.bin, or alternatively /lib/udev/hwdb.bin if you want ship the compiled database in an immutable image. During runtime, only the binary database is used. EXAMPLES
Example 1. General syntax of hwdb files # /lib/udev/hwdb.d/example.hwdb # Comments can be placed before any records. This is a good spot # to describe what that file is used for, what kind of properties # it defines, and the ordering convention. # A record with three matches and one property mouse:*:name:*Trackball*: mouse:*:name:*trackball*: mouse:*:name:*TrackBall*: ID_INPUT_TRACKBALL=1 # A record with a single match and five properties mouse:usb:v046dp4041:name:Logitech MX Master: MOUSE_DPI=1000@166 MOUSE_WHEEL_CLICK_ANGLE=15 MOUSE_WHEEL_CLICK_ANGLE_HORIZONTAL=26 MOUSE_WHEEL_CLICK_COUNT=24 MOUSE_WHEEL_CLICK_COUNT_HORIZONTAL=14 Example 2. Overriding of properties # /lib/udev/hwdb.d/60-keyboard.hwdb evdev:atkbd:dmi:bvn*:bvr*:bd*:svnAcer*:pn* KEYBOARD_KEY_a1=help KEYBOARD_KEY_a2=setup KEYBOARD_KEY_a3=battery evdev:atkbd:dmi:bvn*:bvr*:bd*:svnAcer*:pn123* KEYBOARD_KEY_a2=wlan # /etc/udev/hwdb.d/70-keyboard.hwdb # disable wlan key on all at keyboards evdev:atkbd:* KEYBOARD_KEY_a2=reserved If the hwdb consists of those two files, a keyboard with the lookup string "evdev:atkbd:dmi:bvnAcer:bdXXXXX:bd08/05/2010:svnAcer:pn123" will match all three records, and end up with the following properties: KEYBOARD_KEY_a1=help KEYBOARD_KEY_a2=reserved KEYBOARD_KEY_a3=battery SEE ALSO
systemd-hwdb(8) systemd 237 HWDB(7)