Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Negating shell interpretation Post 302592032 by sprucio on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 12:15:33 PM
Old 01-22-2012
Sorry, $final is populated somewhere in the script ... In the following script, I modified it so that it just uses $line instead.

Code:
$ cat g.ksh
#!/bin/ksh

line="01 01 * * 5 /home/user01/bin/start"

if  grep -q 'start' <<<$line
then
  start="$line"
fi

echo $start

$ ./g.ksh
./g.ksh[5]: syntax error at line 5 : `<' unexpected

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell interpretation

I executed the following command in the korn shell: $ variable1="qwerty" ls | sort and the shell executed the 'ls | sort' command. I would have expected an error message from the shell, but instead of that the shell ran the 'ls | sort' command and didn't realize the variable assignement. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PhilippeCrokaer
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Prevent bash from interpretation :

I am using bash shell; my requirement is to run a long command. Now I have split this long command into a number of shell variables. Some of these shell variables contain special character ':' At the end, when the intended long command is executed as a series of small shell variables the ':'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: uday
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Interpretation of the uptime command

Hi there, do someone have detailed information how to interpret the uptime command or rather which values can be called normal? (i know what the information means, but i have no idea if these values are ok or to high: 3:02pm an 13:53, 2 Benutzer, Durchschnittslast: 10,06, 12,05, 13,00) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: odin1999
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SAR -b interpretation

I have used SAR -b to get some Unix cache / buffer metrics and the results are confusing me a bit. The pread/s & pwrit/s are showing 0. However the lread/s and lwrit/s are showing figures. I note also that the bread/s and bwrit/s are showing figures. I believe that pread/s and pwrit/s is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
3 Replies

5. AIX

interpretation of sar

hello with a sar i have this result: System configuration: lcpu=48 ent=4.00 14:06:37 %usr %sys %wio %idle physc %entc 14:06:39 26 9 3 62 1.63 40.7 14:06:41 26 9 3 63 1.58 39.4 14:06:43 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl negating Regular Expression

hi all, I have this particular piece of code perl -pi -e 's#\&amp\;(\w\W*\w+\;)#\&$1#gm' filename.txt the (\w\W*\w+\;) part should not contain an "&". That means that if a string like &amp;xxxxx&ecute; comes i wount be replacing the amp;. thanks Jathin (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: jathin12
17 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No Space Message Interpretation

Hi, I get the message NOTICE HTFS :No Space on dev hd (1/104), What does (1/104) mean? Is there any link, I can get material on understanding unix message log? thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scomrade
4 Replies

8. AIX

lspath output interpretation

On my VIo I see the following for my disks: $ lspath | grep hdisk6 Enabled hdisk6 fscsi0 200600a0b82193f7,4000000000000 Enabled hdisk6 fscsi0 200700a0b82193f7,4000000000000 Enabled hdisk6 fscsi2 200600a0b82193f8,4000000000000 Failed hdisk6 fscsi2 200700a0b82193f8,4000000000000 $ lspath |... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: petervg
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sql multi line comment /* shell interpretation issue

Greetings Experts, I do have some basic knowledge of Unix. The task I am trying to do through shell script is to generate the view script for all of the tables which is in YYYYMMDD format (I assume I am on Ksh). I have certain tables that ends in YYYYMMDD format (eg: tbl_20150630) For each... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
1 Replies
SHCOMP(1)						    User Environment Utilities							 SHCOMP(1)

NAME
shcomp - compile a ksh93 shell script SYNOPSIS
shcomp [ options ] [infile] [outfile]] ORIGIN OF THIS MAN PAGE
This man page was written by Christophe Martin <Schplurtz@free.fr> for the Debian GNU/Linux system. It is based on "shcomp --man" output. DESCRIPTION
Unless -D is specified, shcomp takes a shell script, infile, and creates a binary format file, outfile, that ksh93 can read and execute with the same effect as the original script. Since aliases are processed as the script is read, alias definitions whose value requires variable expansion will not work correctly. If -D is specified, all double quoted strings that are preceded by $ are output. These are the messages that need to be translated to locale specific versions for internationalization. If outfile is omitted, then the results will be written to standard output. If infile is also omitted, the shell script will be read from standard input. OPTIONS
-D, --dictionary Generate a list of strings that need to be placed in a message catalog for internationalization. -n, --noexec Displays warning messages for obsolete or non-conforming constructs. -v, --verbose Displays input from infile onto standard error as it reads it. --man Displays this man page on standard error and exits. --help Shows a short help message and exits. EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. DEBIAN WARNING
On a Debian GNU/Linux system, more than one package may provide ksh. the output of shcomp can only be used by ksh93. Any other ksh will be unable to run the compiled script. EXAMPLE
( echo '#! /bin/ksh93' ; shcomp myscript ) > myscript.bin && chmod 755 myscript.bin ./myscript.bin SEE ALSO
ksh(1) IMPLEMENTATION
version shcomp (AT&T Labs Research) 2012-02-29 author David Korn <dgk@research.att.com> copyright Copyright (c) 1982-2012 AT&T Intellectual Property license http://www.eclipse.org/org/documents/epl-v10.html KSH93 Fri Jun 3 2005 SHCOMP(1)