Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk file comparison, x lines after matching as output Post 302591987 by Scrutinizer on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 06:47:07 AM
Old 01-22-2012
Try:
Code:
awk 'NR==FNR{A[$1]=1;next}A[$2]{print; for (i=1;i<=3;i++){getline;print}}'  file2 file1

-or-
Code:
awk 'NR==FNR{A[$1]=1;next}A[$2]{n=4}n-->0' file2 file1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output format - comparison with I/p file

Hi, I have a file which contains more than 1 lakh records like following: a. name, id, city, state, country, phone (Expected I/P file format) name, id, city,, state, country, phone (Current I/P file format ) I want to achieve following tasks, a, Remove the extra comma in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: velappangs
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk should output if one input file doesnt have matching key

nawk -F, 'FNR==NR{a= $3 ;next} $2 in a{print $1, 'Person',$2, a}' OFS=, filea fileb Input filea Input fileb output i am getting : (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge lines in a file with Awk - incorrect output

Hi, I would like: FastEthernet0/0 is up, line protocol is up 0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored 0 output errors, 0 collisions, 0 interface resets Serial1/0:0 is up, line protocol is up 0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort 0... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mv652
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines matching value(s) in other file using awk

Hi, I have two comma separated files. I would like to see field 1 value of File1 exact match in field 2 of File2. If the value matches, then it should print matched lines from File2. I have achieved the results using cut, paste and egrep -f but I would like to use awk as it is efficient way and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SBC
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding lines matching the Pattern and their previous lines in a file

Hi, I am trying to locate the occurences of certain pattern like 'Possible network disconnect' in a text file. I can get the actual lines matching the pttern using: grep -w 'Possible network disconnect' file_name. But I am more interested in getting the timing of these events which are... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagarparadkar
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

df -> output files; comparison using awk or...

:wall: I am trying to do the following using awk (is that the best way?): Read 2 files created from the output of df (say, on different days) and compare the entries using the 1st (FileSys) and 6th (Mount) fields to see if the size has changed. Output (at least), to a new file (some header... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: renata
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help With AWK Matching and Re-printing Lines

Hi All, I'm looking to use AWK to pattern match lines in XML file - Example patten for below sample would be /^<apple>/ The sample I wrote out is very basic compared to what I am actually working with but it will get me started I would like to keep the matched line(s) unchanged but have them... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rhoderidge
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to combine matching lines in file

I am trying to combine all matching lines in the tab-delimited using awk. The below runs but no output results. Thank you :). input chrX 110925349 110925532 ALG13 chrX 110925349 110925532 ALG13 chrX 110925349 110925532 ALG13 chrX 47433390 47433999 SYN1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to add lines with symbol to output file

In the awk below which does execute I get output that is close, except for all the lines that start with a # are removed. Some lines have one others two or three and after the script adds the ID= to the fields below the pattern in the awk, I can not seem to add the # lines back to the output. ... (5 Replies)
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk to average matching lines in file

The awk below executes and is close (producing the first 4 columns in desired). However, when I add the sum of $7, I get nothing returned. Basically, I am trying to combine all the matching $4 in f1 and output them with the average of $7 in each match. Thank you :). f1 ... (2 Replies)
2 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgawk | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Volatile | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gawk is available on http://opensolaris.org. Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)