Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting delete all characters that aren't a letter or number Post 302591877 by teresaejunior on Saturday 21st of January 2012 10:09:28 AM
Old 01-21-2012
Sorry lad, I was almost sleeping!!! Hahaha

---------- Post updated at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:54 PM ----------

This leaves only the letters and numbers (removes ©...):

Code:
$ example=lewisdenny©
$ echo $example
lewisdenny©
$ example=$(printf "$example" | sed 's/[^0-9a-zA-Z]//g')
$ echo $example
lewisdenny

Last edited by teresaejunior; 01-21-2012 at 11:07 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to teresaejunior For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Delete specific characters

Hi every1 Well i have a list of numbers e.g 12304 13450 01234 00123 14567 what i want is a command to check if the number is starting from 0 and then delete the 0 without doing anything else!!!! any help wud b appreciated!!!!!!!!:( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: masquerer
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines that starts with a certain letter

How can I delete those lines that starts with a certain letter? abc def ghi xyz abc def ace gik moq abe imq gxm I want to delete the line that starts with "x". Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete characters using a file

Hi All, I have a configuration file (file.cfg) in which data will be like this ; , _ + a to z A to Z Now i have to read a textfile (file.txt) and i need to check whether there is any other character present in text file that is not existing in (file.cfg). If other characters are present... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna_gnv
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check input for lenght, special characters and letter case

I made menu script for users so they can run other script without going in shell just from menu. But i must control their input. These are criteria: Input must have 4 signs First two signs are always lower case letters Input shall not have some special signs just letters and numbers ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: waso
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get letter from number and assign to a variable

Hi to all in forum, I'm trying to convert the letter number between 1 (A) and 26 (Z), that part is working, my issue is how to assign the printf output to a variable:LetterNumber=10 printf "\x$(printf %x $((${LetterNumber}+64)))" $ J #The problem, how to assign printf output (J in this... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/awk to delete single lines that aren't touching other lines

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to use sed or awk to delete single lines in a file. By single, I mean lines that are not touching any other lines (just one line with white space above and below). Example: one two three four five six seven eight I want it to look like: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: slimjbe
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete the line if the first letter is a single digit

Hi, I'm trying to acheive the following, I have a dat file in which i have several addresses, If the address starts with a single digit then i have to delete the line, if it starts with 2 or more digits then i have to keep the line Here is a sample of my file: 377 CARRER DE LA... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assigning a number to a letter without printing it

Hello Unix.com ! Newbie question. With awk, i can we give a particular letter a number without printing the number? input: X|X A|X A|A X|A If field is "A", then it counts as 2 If field is "X", then it counts as 3 Multiply the 2 first field and give the result in the 3th field, but... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete all words not containing letter /s/

I have a word file that looks like: pens binder spiral user I want to delete all the words without the letter /s/, so output looks like: pens spiral user I tried using sed: sed '//d' infile.txt > out.txt (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pxalpine
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific letter in a file by other letter

Good afternoon all, I want to ask how to change some letter in my file with other letter in spesific line eg. data.txt 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 for example i want to change the 4th line with character 1. How could I do it by SED or AWK. I have tried to run this code but actually did not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: weslyarfan
3 Replies
ECHO(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   ECHO(1)

NAME
echo -- write arguments to the standard output SYNOPSIS
echo [-n] [string ...] DESCRIPTION
The echo utility writes any specified operands, separated by single blank (' ') characters and followed by a newline (' ') character, to the standard output. The following option is available: -n Do not print the trailing newline character. This may also be achieved by appending 'c' to the end of the string, as is done by iBCS2 compatible systems. Note that this option as well as the effect of 'c' are implementation-defined in IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1'') as amended by Cor. 1-2002. Applications aiming for maximum portability are strongly encouraged to use printf(1) to sup- press the newline character. Some shells may provide a builtin echo command which is similar or identical to this utility. Most notably, the builtin echo in sh(1) does not accept the -n option. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. EXIT STATUS
The echo utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
builtin(1), csh(1), printf(1), sh(1) STANDARDS
The echo utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1'') as amended by Cor. 1-2002. BSD
April 12, 2003 BSD